Quist Weekly News
January 7, 2022
Dear ROYALS Families,
We had a good (and cold!) first week back. Please help us ensure our ROYALS are prepared for our Colorado winter weather. As a reminder, if the temperature is above 20 degrees Fahrenheit (including wind chill) and there is no perception or other concern like high winds, ice, etc. students are expected to be outside for recess. At this time, we do not have the staffing or space to provide both inside and outside the recess while maintaining adequate supervision for safety and allowing for social distance.
Today, 1/7/2022, you can access final grades for your student(s) 2nd Quarter classes through Infinite Campus. We will celebrate our ROYALS accomplishments for 2nd quarter in grade level assemblies during the third week of January. Unfortunately, we are not at the point where we can invite families in to watch. I hope we get the opportunity to do so soon.
Next, I want to take a moment to introduce our new School Resource Officer. Officer Dinges was reassigned through the department and Officer Shawn Tichota will be with us for the remainder of this school year. He started on Wednesday and is in the process of introducing himself as a resource to our ROYALS during passing periods and lunch/recess. We also have added a part time Campus Supervisor, Mr. Craig Castillo, who is also a parent of a Quist student. Mr. Castillo has actually been volunteering for most of this school year during lunch/recess and has established relationships with a number of our ROYALS. We are grateful to have this additional support.
In closing, we are asking for support from those that are able to assist. We are doing a gift card drive for Monarch K-8, one of the schools in the community impacted by the Marshall Fire. Here is a longer explanation of why we are doing this. We chose this school because it is where my children went (one is now in high school and the other in college) and where the mother of one of our staff members is a principal. Therefore, giving the cards we collect will be easy. If we collect more than is needed at that school, we can definitely share the wealth with other schools in the area. I feel lucky that the wind changed and allowed the firefighters to fight the fire, as my house is still standing. I am grateful for both of my communities, our Quist community and my little town, for their support.
Trina Norris-Buck, Ed.S.
Important Yearbook News
Students are back at school making new memories with their friends! Make sure to order the one book that captures the activities, spirit, and unique qualities of their school. Visit www.jostensyearbooks.com to order.
If you have any EPIC photos of our ROYALS during the year, please send them to Mrs. Gerber (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the yearbook team to consider for use in our grade level photos. Make sure to include the name of the student's photographed and grade level.
Greetings Royals - here is what is happening in the world of Quist Athletics
- Registration is open now for both Girl's Basketball and Boy's/Girl's combined wrestling. The link is on our school website and here.
- Practice started this week (Thursday) for Girl's Basketball. Rosters will be established in the next few weeks.
- CHANGE - Wrestling practice will start January 18, 4:45, RQMS Gym
- We are still following local health guidelines regarding masks. Basketball players and coaches must be masked at all times. Wrestlers and coaches must be masked unless actively sparring.
- Please check IC for fees that need to be paid. All fees must be paid before participation in contests can happen. Please bring payment (cash or check) to the RQMS main office. Please contact Kate Brown if you have questions.
- Athletes must have a current physical submitted (FamilyID or brought to RQMS office) before any participation in either practice or contests can happen.
- The first game for Girls Basketball is January 20 and The first dual for Boys/Girls Wrestling is February 2. All contest dates are on our school website. Please check the description for which team is home or traveling.
- Pictures will be taken on Jan 28. Purchase is optional. We will share links to purchase soon.
- Family meeting for winter sports is January 12, 5:45, Quist cafeteria. Please come to meet our coaches and ask questions.
- We will continue to use the Remind App - please sign up for updates on your cell and the option to communicate directly with coaches. Here is the link for Basketball and here is the link for Wrestling.
- Eligibility is pulled on Thursdays and shared with athletes during practices on Fridays. If an athlete is not eligible, this impacts next week's games. In order to become eligible, the athlete needs to complete an Eligibility Rubric AND improve the grade in the classes with D or F grades. 2 or more Ds or 1 F is considered ineligible. Additionally, an athlete could be ineligible if they are not showing RISE/ROAR behaviors in their classes. If there are concerns, teachers will communicate with families about what is happening and coaching will be provided to show improvement.
Thank you for all of your support and grace! We couldn't do this without you!!
Catherine "Kate" Brown
Rodger Quist Middle School
T: (720) 507-6209 - Google Voice (can receive text messages)
Parent Advisory Committee News Meeting Tuesday 1/11/22
The Parent Advisory Committee’s (PAC) mission is to provide an authentic parent voice by establishing a collaborative relationship between Quist Parents, Staff, Students, and Community Members. We meet on the second Tuesday of every month at 5 pm in the Quist library. Please consider joining us!
Currently, we are working on an advertisement fundraiser and want to be sure all local businesses have an opportunity. Is your business or company willing to sponsor our school in order to help meet their growing needs? 100% of funds raised stay right at Quist and help provide some of the following:
- Classroom supplies (art supplies, whiteboards, Lego STEAM supplies)
- Supporting events in classrooms (History Day, Literacy Night, Numeracy Night)
- Community Events (School Health Fair, school dances, parent events)
- Academic supplies (online subscriptions, books, anatomy models)
- Scoreboard for the football field
For more information, click HERE