Stonybrook Red Storm Forecast
Week of: March 23, 2020
This too, shall pass and we will be teaching and learning again. Stay safe.
March 13, 2020
Dear Students and Parents/Caregivers,
The purpose of this letter is to inform you that the MSD Warren Township has canceled all out-of-state trips for the remainder of the school year.
Under guidance from the CDC, the decision to cancel the trips was made based on the rapidly evolving nature of the Coronavirus outbreak and with overall concern for the health and safety of our students and staff. In addition to the risk of exposure during the trip, student travelers could become unexpectedly subject to additional travel restrictions while away from home and the possibility of remaining quarantined after returning from the trip.
The following out-of-state trips are canceled:
- Washington DC (8th grade)
- Chicago (7th grade)
- Cincinnati (6th grade)
- Louisville (5th grade)
The timing of the decision was made to allow for the greatest amount of refund for families in relation to the scheduled departure of the trips. Working closely with the partnering touring company, Appian Tours, refund rates for canceled trips will be as follows:
- The Washington DC trip will be refunded in full, less the $50 non-refundable deposit used for non-recoverable expenses, by canceling more than 7 days in advance of the trip. The refund rate would have dropped to 50% if cancellation occurred within a week of the trip.
- The trips to Chicago, Cincinnati and Louisville will be refunded in full, less $25 that was used for unrecoverable expenses.
- A statement from Appian Tours is shared to provide greater explanation of the unrecoverable fees.
The refund process originally communicated for the Washington DC trip has been updated due to the closure of school, such that families may receive refund money in a more timely fashion. Refunds for all out-of-state trips will be issued by Appian Tours using the following process:
1. All Washington DC payments that were made by cash, check or credit card and credit card payments (older than 3 months) for the trips to Chicago, Cincinnati and Louisville will be refunded with a check for the amount paid and to the person(s) who made payments. Payments made within the last three months via credit card toward the Chicago, Cincinnati and Louisville trips will be refunded directly to the credit card used for payment.
2. The non-refundable fee ($50, Washington; $25 Chicago, Cincinnati and Louisville) will come from the initial payment that was made at sign-up.
3. Refund checks will be mailed directly from Appian Tours to persons making payments.
4. Students that purchased trip insurance will receive a 100% refund for the canceled trip. Appian Tours will assist in the process of obtaining a portion of the refund coming from the insurance company.
Thank you for your understanding of the circumstances that contributed to the difficult decision to cancel the trips and to this change in the refund process to help families recover money sooner. Please contact me directly at 317.532.8804 or at email@example.com with questions about the trip. Please contact Appian Tours at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding the refund process.
School Safety & Security Reminders
Stonybrook IMS conducts safety drills with the support of Warren Police at various times of the day and throughout the year to ensure that students and staff are prepared for unexpected events that may arise during the school day.
- Periodic severe weather drills and lockdown drills, along with monthly fire drills, are conducted to ensure students and staff have time to practice the procedures associated with each situation.
- Periodic bus evacuation drills are conducted on campus to allow students to practice and prepare for bus emergencies. Periodic bus scans are conducted with the support of Warren Police to ensure that materials being brought on campus are school appropriate.
Click the buttons below.
21st Century Scholars
Please visit the 21st Century Scholars website. Apply online @ www.scholars.in.gov or submit the application through your school counselor. Students must sign up before June 30th during their 8th grade year.
8th grade Counsleor: Michael James- email@example.com
7th grade Counselor: Melissa Nicholson- firstname.lastname@example.org
Creative Writing Camp
Butler University has a summer Creative Writing Camp for your students that love reading and writing. If you have any talented writers/readers or interested students, please suggest our one-of-a-kind camp, now in its 23rd year. We would love to have your students 3rd grade through 12th join us on our campus this June. Camp meets 9am-4pm Monday through Friday the weeks of June 17-21 or June 24-28 (campers can also come both weeks).
Details on camp attached and at the link below:
As the weather becomes increasingly colder, it is important to review our morning drop-off procedures.
- Students are not able to enter the building until 8:35 a.m. This is the earliest we can guarantee appropriate adult supervision.
- Students should NOT be dropped off prior to 8:35 a.m. each day; if they are, they will be standing in cold temperatures until staff supervision arrives and students are let in to the cafeteria.
Stonybrook IA & MS Yearbook
Pre-order a Yearbook now for only $25. This full color yearbook will include grades 5-8 for the 2019-20 school year. To order, you may pick up an order form from the Main Office or the Mediaplex. You may also order online at: ybpay.lifetouch.com ID Code: 12577920 All orders must be placed by March 20, 2020.
2019 Pesticide Notification Registry
The Indiana Pesticide Review Board has regulations that impact how school corporations may use pesticides on school grounds. MSD Warren Township follows these guidelines and we are inviting parents and guardians to join our Pesticide Notification Registry. By signing up for this registry, you will be notified via email at least 48 hours prior to a pesticide application at your child’s school, subject to certain exceptions. You will be invited to sign up for this notification each school year.
You will need to sign up for this notification every school year.
If you would like to participate, please complete the required form found at www.warren.k12.in.us.
Click the buttons below for helpful information!
YMCA Before and After School Care is at Stonybrook!!
The YMCA is currently hosting before and after day care at Stonybrook! Students can be dropped off as early as 6:30 AM and pick up at 6:00 PM.
If you are interested in the program, please contact Katy Yeoman, Program Director or go to the link below.
Now enrolling for YMCA Before and After School Care in your school! Register online today!
YMCA of Greater Indianapolis
Youth Development – East
Stonybrook Refrigerator Information
ATTENDANCE LINE: 317-532-8800 EXT. 1
SCHOOL NURSE: 317-532-8806
SCHOOL HOURS: 8:55 AM - 3:55 PM
DISTRICT OFFICE: 317-869-4300
Principal: Mr. Jason Smith PH: 317-532-8804
Assistant Principal & 5th Gr. Dean: Mr. Chad Reedy PH: 317-532-8803
6th Gr.Dean: Mr. Josh Davis PH:317-532-8828
7th Gr. Dean: Mrs. Bianca Rivers PH: 317-532-8808
8th Gr. Dean: Ms. Becky True PH: 317-532-8805
5th Gr. Counselor: Ms. Kassie Roberts PH: 317-532-8880
6th Gr. Counselor: Ms. Toni Austin PH: 317-532-8845
7th Gr. Counselor: Mrs. Melissa Nicholson PH: 317-532-8800 X8811
8th Gr. Counselor: Mr. Michael James PH: 317-532-8800
Athletic Director: Mr. Jeff Cummings PH: 317-532-8826
Dates to Remember:
March 23rd - April 3rd: Spring Intersession
April 5th: School Resumes