AIS Friday Flash
Friday, September 11, 2020
Our CM2 students enjoyed an awesome discussion with the adventurous French Austinite swimmer, Ben Lecomte. We would like to extend a big thank you to him for sharing his time.
PikMyKid Registration Deadline (Final)-Wed. 9/16
PikmyKid instructions (linked here) were sent via a RenWeb email last week. Parents and any delegated pickups will need to register in the app no later than Wednesday, 9/16. Thank you to those parents who have already done so. We still have 137 unregistered guardians, so thank you for completing the registration. This will ensure you are linked to our school, your child(ren)'s profile(s), and are eligible to pick up on the first day of school. Please also take some time to click on the student calendar icon to assign pickup responsibilities, which may be modified by the month, day, or week. To get started:
- Please watch this informational video outlining how to use the app.
- Download the PikMyKid Parent App at the Google Play or Apple Store to your cell phones (each guardian and authorized pickup individual will need to download).
- Register within the app. Click here for more registration information.
- Update your information (i.e., any changes to your preferred email or cell phone).
- Add authorized pickups. (Authorized pickups from RenWeb will not transfer over, thank you for adding them to PikMyKid).
- Tell your authorized pickups about PikMyKid and ask them to download the app.
- Use the calendar feature to specify who is picking up by day, week, or month.
- Review all the parent instructions and flyers (included in the pictures below).
- Reach out to April with any questions or concerns or to the PikMyKid help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or (813)-864-7627.
Regarding drop off and pick up, a reminder that all students from CP and up will be dropped off and picked up under the portico. These students will then walk independently, but supervised, to their external entrances. Maternelle families will drive through the carline, drop off any older siblings at the portico, and park in the East parking lot in front of the Maternelle playground to walk students to their outdoor classroom entry point.
When we return for on-campus learning we will need several parent volunteers daily in the mornings and afternoons for drop-off and pick-up, especially for the first few weeks as we all get used to the new procedures. These shifts will be socially distanced stations outside of the building to help direct students safely to their outside class entrances. Click here for our Volunteer Sign-Up Page and for Safety Patrol here. Keep in mind, that our volunteers need a current background check. You may find the form here. Please fill it out (less the bottom 4 sections) and return via a sealed envelope to April's attention and drop it off the first week of school or scan or take a picture and send via email.
Head of School Virtual Coffee-Thur., 9/17, 10:30 - 11:30 am (New Date)
Join Jacques for a virtual Head of School coffee to launch the year and visit with other AIS families.
On-campus Student Walk-throughs-9/17 & 9/18, 1:00 - 4:00 pm (New Dates)
We will be hosting On-campus Student Walk-throughs from 1pm - 4pm on Thursday, 9/17 and Friday, 9/18. You will receive an email to sign up for a time on either day for your child(ren)'s walk-through. We want our students to be prepared for school and to feel comfortable with the new drop-off procedures and classroom set up before returning to campus. Please discuss the walk-through with your child and let them know that this is practice for their upcoming on-campus start date.
- PS-GS: During your child's scheduled walk-through, you will practice parking in the Maternelle parking lot and dropping your child off at their classroom door. Parents will be required to remain outside the classroom as the teachers and assistant teachers welcome the students in the classroom and give them a short tour to familiarize them with their new school environment. Walk-throughs will be done in small groups, with physical distancing reinforced, by scheduled appointment only.
- CP-4è: During your scheduled walk-through, you will practice dropping your child off under the portico in front of the school, and the teachers will then walk your child to their classroom entrance and give them a classroom tour. Parents will be required to remain in their vehicles while students complete the walk-through with their teachers. Walk-throughs will be done in small groups, with physical distancing reinforced, by scheduled appointment only.
Campus Walkthrough Signups
We are excited to welcome students back to campus on the afternoons of Thursday, September 17th, and Friday, September 18th for Student Walk-throughs. Classes will be a half-day on both Thursday and Friday, ending at the lunch break. During the afternoon walkthroughs, students will get to visit their new classrooms while at the same time practicing the new procedures of drop-off and a safe return to class. As a reminder, during the campus walkthroughs, parents and guardians will not be allowed in classrooms. To sign-up for a campus walkthrough slot, please follow these easy steps:
- Go to https://austinis.schoolsoft.com/
- Log-in to the system.
- If you already have a username and password for the system that you used previously, you will be able to use that.
- If you have a login but have forgotten your password, simply click the “Forgot your username or password?” link and a new one will be sent to you.
- If you have never had a login, please click on the Register Now button.
- Once you are logged in, under the “Available conference sessions” menu, select “Thursday, September 17 – 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM” or “Friday, September 18 – 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM”
- Select the grade(s) that your child(ren) will attend this year and then click Next.
- Select a time slot that is convenient for you. If a time slot is greyed out, then it means that it is no longer available.
- Select your child’s name, enter any comments/questions you may have, then click “Submit.”
Back to School Night: Questions for the Head of School
In order to best address questions from families over Google Hangouts, this year’s Back to School Night meetings with the Head of School will be broken up by cycle. In advance of this meeting, you are invited to send your questions to the Head of School via a Google Form. Your questions will be used to tailor a presentation that addresses as many of your burning questions as possible during the initial remarks from Jacques. Please take some time to watch the First Day of School eCommuniqué from the Head of School, as many of your questions may be answered in that video. ¡Hasta pronto!
Back to School Nights-9/17 & 9/18, 5:00 - 7:15 pm (New Dates)
We will be hosting two Virtual Back to School Nights on Thursday, 9/17 for Cycles 1 & 2: PS-CE2 (PreK3 to 3rd Grade) and Friday, 9/18 for Cycles 3 and 4 (CM1-4è). Parents will join an important info session at the times below hosted by our Head of School, Jacques Weber, and our Principal, Emily Hopkins, followed by break out virtual meets with your child(ren)'s teaching team. The schedule is as follows:
Thur., 9/17, 5:00 - 7:15 pm: Cycles 1 & 2
- Cycle 1 (PS-GS)
- Cycle 2 (CP-CE2)
6:15-7:15pm: Click to join the CP (Grade 1) Teachers
6:15-7:15pm: Click to join the CE1 (Grade 2) Teachers
6:15-7:15pm: Click to join the CE2 (Grade 3) Teachers
Fri., 9/18, 5:00 - 7:15 pm: Cycles 3 & 4
- Cycle 3 (CM1-CM2)
5:30-6:30pm: Click to join the CM1 (Grade 4) Teachers
5:30-6:30pm: Click to join the CM2 (Grade 5) Teachers
- Middle School (6è-4è)
6:15-7:15pm: Click to join the Middle School Teachers
Prepare for On-Campus Learning
We have received a few questions this week about processes when we start on-campus learning. We will share important information at Back to School Night next week, however, due to limited time for these sessions, please take some time to review the Campus Opening Guide and the PikMyKid instructions sent last week via email and in packets mailed to your homes. Based on the questions, please make sure to review the sections regarding drop-off, pick-up, late arrivals, traffic flow, campus map, recess, lunch, school entry, and COVID protocols. Thank you for also preparing students with expectations for physical distancing in and out of the classrooms, wearing masks, and proper handwashing.
First Day of On-Campus Learning-Mon., 9/21 (New Date)
We can’t wait to see you all in person! Under our current plan, we will be ready to welcome students and families back to campus on Monday, September 21st! Stay tuned for more information about drop-off procedures, which are also summarized in our AIS Campus Opening Guide.
Room Parent Virtual Coffee-Tue., 9/24 9:30 - 10:30 (New Date)
Each year Room Parents help provide support to the class teachers, the school, and the Parent Teacher Organization (PTO). Volunteering as a Room Parent will look a bit different this year, but will include disseminating reminders (from school updates found in the Friday Flash) to the other class parents, reinforcing class and teacher needs, and updating parents with other school information regularly. Be on the lookout for signup information soon. The PTO will also host a Room Parent Coffee on September 24th from 9:30 - 10:30 am to share more details about what it means to be a Room Parent and how you can help.
Student Forms Due-Mon., 9/28
Please be reminded that as per Texas law, all wellness check forms and immunization records are due by September 28,2020. There is no exception to this requirement. Students who do not have the required documentation on file will be excluded from school until appropriate documentation is submitted.
- Wellness Check Form: A student wellness check must be completed every year, without exception. The wellness check form must indicate the date of the exam (i.e., not simply the date the form was signed) and wellness checks must have taken place within the last calendar year. If a wellness check is scheduled to take place after the previous wellness check has expired, please inform the school in writing (email@example.com) of the upcoming wellness check date.
- Immunization records: All vaccine requirements are listed on our school’s website. This information includes which vaccines are required, the documentation that must be on file, and information about exemptions, if appropriate. Texas Administrative Code §97.66(a) requires our school to exclude students are not in compliance with the vaccine requirements.
We thank you for your support to ensure that your children’s records comply with the laws of the State of Texas. If you have any questions about these requirements, please do not hesitate to contact Jacques at your convenience.
Updated Save the dates
We will continue to build out our school calendar and will update you with more event dates as they approach.
- 9/13-9/16 Deadline to enter PikMyKid Data
- 9/17 Head of School Virtual Coffee
- 9/17 Half-day of classes/Student walkthroughs
- 9/17 Back to School Night: Cycles 1 & 2 (PreK3 - 3rd)
- 9/18 Half-day of classes/Student walkthroughs
- 9/18 Back to School Night: Cycles 3 & 4 (4th - 8th)
- 9/21 First Day of On-Campus Learning!
- 9/24 Room Parent Coffee
- 9/28 All Medical Forms Due