Newsletter Communication for October 2, 2020
Our Starside Mission:
Through a collaborative learning community we will build a foundation upon which all students can develop essential academic and life skills.
A Message From Principal Meyer
Thank you. Thank you for trusting us with your students - whether in-person or online - we are blessed for the opportunity to nurture, engage, and cherish your child. I am beyond impressed with the fortitude of our school community.
Families in De Soto are by far the kindest and most considerate humans on Earth. The amount of grace you have bestowed upon our school staff and all of USD 232 during these unprecedented times gives us strength. I am incredibly blessed to be your principal!
United we stand (Starside Strong)!!!
Coming Back Together Logistics
- We'll still see our 'B Group' students in-person on 10/5 & 10/06!
- All classes will Zoom for Morning Meeting on 10/07!
Here's a list of answers to some logistical questions for returning full, in-person on 10/8:
- Optional Remote students are not affected and will remain remote through the end of the semester when enrollment will reopen for parental choice.
- Masks are and will continue to be required for everyone in the building.
- Hand washing and sanitizing are our favorites. We do both a LOT.
- Social distancing will happen everywhere possible. We do maintain seating charts for contract tracing and exposure notification in every setting, including the lunchroom.
- Snacks will be eaten outside, or where 6 feet of distance can be provided while masks are off. Sneaky snacking is taught and encouraged even when distanced - it's really not so sneaky, but if you pull out your mask from the bottom to sneak a snack into your mouth, your nose and mouth are actually still almost completely covered.
- Students will continue to be seated with 6 feet of social distancing for lunch, which will be divided by grade level utilizing the cafeteria and stage.
- Drop off and Pick up procedures WILL NOT CHANGE AT THIS TIME.
- Temps will still be taken for every person who enters the building.
- Although students will all be back in the building, this doesn't mean that we're back to business as usual. Meetings and conferences will still be through Zoom, visitors are still very limited and by appointment only, and volunteers, although appreciated and missed, are not allowed just yet.
- Student iPads will be kept at school, and will not travel back home unless needed due to quarantine, inclement weather, or specific teacher assignment.
Picture Day(s) at SE!
Picture Day is coming up at SE!
Order online at: inter-state.com/order
Order Code: 53551HB
- Tuesday, October 20 is Picture Day for in-person students.
- Thursday, October 22 is Picture Day for Optional Remote students and picture make-ups for any student who misses pictures on Tuesday the 20th.
We will also offer a retake day/time later in the year for any student who missed his or her picture day.
A note on masks: Teachers will ensure each child is ready to have their picture taken and their mask may be removed if they feel comfortable. Our photographers may simply ask, "Would you like to take off the mask for your portrait?" Teachers will remind the students that when it's their turn to take their picture, it is okay to remove the mask and hold it in their hands.
New! Parent/Guardian Procedures for 20-21
Starside will be taking regular attendance. The Attendance Secretary calls families to check on students who have not notified the school of an absence.
OPTIONAL REMOTE parents need to report absences for any Zooms students will miss.
ON-SITE parents need to report absences:
- Any time your student is supposed to be at school.
- If your student is ill, PLEASE include all symptoms & if diagnosed with Flu, Strep, or Covid.
You may not bring outside food into your child nor join him/her for lunch.
If your child forgets his/her lunch, he/she may get a free school lunch or you may bring a lunchbox with your students' name on it and drop it off at the school by ringing the doorbell to notify the office of the delivery and drop it off on the table in the foyer.
At this time, we will not be able to have visitors or parent volunteers. We miss you and look forward to seeing you soon. You may bring a forgotten item; however, you will not be allowed to enter past the foyer. Please ring the bell and we will let you in. Place the item, marked with your child's name on it, on the table in the foyer and we will get the item to your child.
Dropping off your child after the start of school:
- Submit the absence online or call/email the office to notify the school that your child will be late. Please let us know the reason for the tardy (appointment, headache, or just running late).
- You DO need to safely escort your elementary-aged child to the front door. Ring the bell and we will let only your child inside.
- If we have not heard from a parent/guardian the tardy will be marked as unexcused, so please do not forget to notify the office of the reason for the tardy.
Checking your child out of school early:
- Please call or email to notify the office and teacher ahead of time.
- Have an ID ready to show when picking up your child.
- Press the bell, show your ID, and let us know who you are checking out.
- We will let you inside where you may wait for your child in the foyer.
- We will locate your child and send him/her to you in the foyer.
We sincerely appreciate your patience and support during this time. If you have any questions, please call 913-667-6270 and we will be happy to assist you in any way we can!
Upcoming From Your Counselor!
October is usually filled with activities for Kindness Week (Anti-Bully) and Red Ribbon Week. Since this year is different, I've attached a calendar of activities for students to do at home with their families. Spirit Days occur on Wednesdays during the month. There will not be Red Ribbons passed out this year, but we can still celebrate!
Save the Date!
- Tuesday, October 6 - PTA Meeting (Zoom info in PTA NEWS below)
- Tuesday, October 20 - On-Site Student Picture Day
- Thursday, October 22 - Optional Remote Student Picture Day & picture retakes
- Wednesday, October 28 - Parent-Teacher Conferences via Zoom
- Thursday, October 29 - Parent-Teacher Conferences via Zoom
- Friday, October 30 - No School, District Buildings Closed
- Thursday, November 5 - End of 1st Quarter
- Friday, November 6 - No School for Students
- Wednesday, November 11 - Report Cards Posted
1st GENERAL PTA MEETING
Oct. 6, Tuesday - VIRTUAL PTA MEETING @ 6pm via Zoom. The link is below and it will also be emailed out before the meeting.
Meeting ID 592 353 5821
ORDER STARSIDE STRONG SPIRIT WEAR
Oct. 23, Friday - Spiritwear orders due. Orders may be made online with the link below or on the PTA website.
We are pumped to kick start a contactless fundraiser due to the failure of being able to host our normal fundraisers due to COVID-19! You should have received an email from Starside with instructions for setup. Details are also available on the Starside PTA website. Let's help raise money for our School, Students, and Staff!
STARSIDE STAFF APPRECIATION DINNER
Oct. 28, Wednesday - More info about donating items is coming soon!
DHS Soccer Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser
Local Walk & Read
Paraprofessional Substitutes needed!
USD 232 is in need of paraprofessional substitutes who are flexible and willing to substitute throughout the district on an as needed basis. Stay-at-home parents make great substitute paraprofessionals! The ideal candidate is caring, compassionate and dedicated to the students’ success by looking for ways to support the teacher and making a positive difference in the lives of our children. Becoming a para sub is a great way to support the district, our students and our teachers which is needed now more than ever.
To learn more about becoming a substitute paraprofessional for the district, please speak with your Principal or contact Human Resources at the USD 232 District Office. Ready to apply? Click here > Paraprofessional Substitutes for USD 232
Technology Help Desk
Please remember that the fastest way to start getting a solution to any technical issues is to contact our help desk. This is also available to all students.
Technology Help Desk
Get help with district technology
Students and Parents: You can reach our Help Desk by calling 816-382-4840.
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Meet Your Starside Specials Teachers!
INTERNET OPPORTUNITIES FOR FAMILIES
The school district is pleased to share information about a new program to help students who do not have reliable, fast internet access at home. This program is for families who qualify for free or reduced meals at school.
HOW IT WORKS
1. A family who is already qualified for free or reduced meals should contact RG FIBER and submit a copy of their free/reduced Eligibility Determination approval letter received from the school district.
2. RG FIBER verifies the information with the local school district and then schedules an install. FREE / REDUCED COST For families qualifying for free meals, RG FIBER will provide its 150 Mbps symmetrical fiber service for FREE during the school year. For families qualifying for reduced cost meals, RG FIBER will provide its 150 Mbps service for 50-percent off, or $29.98 per month. There is a one-time activation fee of $35. If an address is already connected to RG GIBER, there is no activation fee.
IMPORTANT: The address to be connected must be located in a RG FIBER service area. RG FIBER makes no commitments to build out to any area as a part of this program. If a family needs a new copy of their free/reduced meals Eligibility Determination approval letter to share with RG FIBER, please email the school district at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact RG FIBER