Avoca West News
Week of March 1, 2017
Parent-Teacher Spring Conference Sign Ups -- Available on Monday, 3/6
Sign Up Genius Links for Spring Conferences
Have a question for your child's teacher now? Feel free to reach out at any time to connect with our staff members. We're here to help!
Another Fun Fair in the Books!
Calling all Incoming Kindergarten Kiddos!
- "Calling all Kindergarteners" Google Form Linked Here -- To input your child's name, birthdate, and other info
- Home Language Survey -- To be filled out by all incoming students
- Registration/Enrollment Information -- To be filled out by all incoming students
Please note that filling out these forms and submitting residency/birth certificate is only the first step in the registration process. Parents will still need to complete an online process as well (May 2017).
What We're Working on At Avoca West in 2017
There are many facets of a visible learner that we hope to develop in our students, but those that our staff are focusing on this year (and will continue to focus on for future years) are making sure that students can:
- state what they are learning and why they are learning to anyone who walks in the room at any time through writing, drawing, or speaking
- set goals for their learning
- identify what they don't understand when they don't understand
- feel safe to take learning risks
- identify available resources and how they can be used to help (ex: anchor charts, peers, "read the room," rubrics, etc.)
- see the value and will be eager to try even when they are not successful the first time
These are traits/characteristics we hope to develop in all settings at Avoca West and will continue to reinforce and monitor how we're doing along the way.
Wondering how you can help at home? Much of the Visible Learning work is in line with Carol Dweck's Growth Mindset work and beliefs. I've included a good read for parents in the link below for a quick list of strategies to develop this thinking in your conversations with your children at home. Stay tuned for more resources!
Upcoming Dates to Note
3/4 - 8:00am-noon -- Science Olympiad Pancake Breakfast at Marie Murphy
3/6 - Sign Up for Parent-Teacher Conferences - links sent out in morning
3/7 - 7:00pm - PTC Meeting at Avoca West
3/9 - 6:00-7:00pm - Incoming Kindergarten PARENT Information Night
3/10 - 6:00-8:00pm - Girls' Night for Avoca West (held at Marie Murphy)
3/16 - 7:00pm - Sizzling Strings Concert at Marie Murphy
3/22 & 3/23 - Half Day Student Attendance -- Afternoon/Evening Conferences
3/24 - Teacher Institute Day - No Students
3/25 - Spring Break!
Don't forget to stop by the Avoca PTC website for updated information and dates to put on your calendar as well. There are many exciting events going on -- including our Spirit Wear sales!!