Buckalew Buzz 20-21 School Year
December 7, 2020
Connect With Us!
"Today I choose to BE Kind, Work Hard, and Do My BEst!"
Our school hours are officially 8:00-3:10. Students may arrive as early as 7:30 and will go to their homeroom beginning at that time.
*disclaimer that items published in this newsletter may change due the COVID-19 pandemic*
From Mrs. Price
It has been an incredible journey this semester and we are less than 2 weeks away from our semester and the year of 2020 ending. What a ride so far! As of December 1, we are very excited to announce that Buckalew will have approximately 90% of our students returning in person in January, with approximately 10% of our students remaining online. While cases in Montgomery County are on the rise, we do feel very proud of what we are able to accomplish inside of our schools as we continue to maintain our new normal. While we are planning for 2021 and the return of all students, please understand that our instructional online systems and schedules will most likely change due to the numbers. If you are an online learner and would like to speak with someone regarding the change in platform to in person learning, we encourage you to email email@example.com. If you have questions on what our in person learning looks like currently, please read the link below that explains in person parent information.
Just a reminder, there are 2 different links below to review for success on the learning platform you have selected as a family. The remainder of the information in the BUZZ is applicable to our entire Buckalew Community!
Just a reminder, we have an early release day on 12/18 (12:10 dismissal) and Winter Break from 12/19-1/5.
Our staff would like to thank our PTO Hospitality Committee for providing beautifully, pre-package cookie boxes for the staff today!
We are so grateful for our parents and our students,
Please CLICK here if your child is attending IN PERSON.
Can My Child Go To School Today?
12/7- Spirit Night- Kendra Scott
12/9- Chipotle Grill
12/14- Crust Pizza
12/14- Torchy's Taco
12/18- Early Release- 12:10 p.m.
12/21-1/5- Winter Break
1/6- Students Return
1/18- School Holiday
Picture Perfect Friday Video Pictures
GT NOMINATIONS FOR 2020-21 SCHOOL YEAR
The window is now open for parent nominations for GT Screening and will continue through December 18. Parents may nominate their student for Spring GT Testing by completing the District Nomination Form, available through any 3rd and 4th grade teacher, or by asking Belinda in the front office. If you would like a form emailed to you, contact Mrs. Smith firstname.lastname@example.org.
All second grade students will participate in the CogAT assessment in December. The CogAT assessment will serve as a GT screener for second grade students. Parents may now nominate, one time per level of test. In other words, students may test once each school year to see if they meet district requirements and /or qualify in other subject areas.
GT testing will be held at Buckalew during the school day the weeks of January 25 – 29 and February 1-5. Nomination forms may be returned to your student’s 3rd and 4th grade teacher OR to Belinda in the front office. ALL NOMINATION forms are due NO LATER THAN December 18!
We are excited to announce that ONE of our water fountains (outside of the cafeteria and gymnasium) has been retrofitted as a bottle refill station. Please make sure your child has their water bottle with them each day. In the event your child forgot their own water bottle, they will be provided a bottle of water. We appreciate any donations of cases of water while we have our water fountains off for sanitation reasons.
Parents just a reminder to send all transportation changes to school with your child in their backpack.
For emergencies only, e-mail Buckalewtransportation@Conroeisd.net
PRIOR TO 2 PM and make sure you get a confirmation that your change was received.
Please note weather is not considered an emergency.
Classroom teachers do not always check emails throughout the day or may even be absent and that request would not be received in time. If you have sent a note with your child it is not necessary to e-mail the note to the front office. Thank you.
2019-2020 Texas Academic Performance Report (TAPR)
The accountability reports can be accessed using the following steps:
From Buckalew's website:
· Go to "Our School/Campus"
· Click “View School Profile"
· Select “Accountability Reports”
· Click “2019-2020”
· Select "Texas Academic Performance Report "
Hi Buckalew Bears! I'm Mrs. Points, your school counselor. With each Buzz, I will have resources to support the social and emotional learning of our students. If your family has a specific need you would like to contact me about, please don't hesitate to email me at email@example.com.
Holiday Gift Assistance
The CISD police department's Santa's Dream program assists families in Montgomery county each year with holiday gifts for children ages 15 and younger. If your family is in need, please contact Mrs. Points at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, December 9th.
December's Character Trait: Humility
According to PositivePsychology.com, true humility comes from understanding our place in the larger order of things. It's the ability to minimize our desires and place other's needs before ours. Modern psychologists have discovered links between humility and our ability to effectively learn and lead (Schaffner, 2020).
As a family, think of people you know who are humble. How can the members of your family show humility? Your ability to develop this character trait will benefit you, your family, and our society.
********Easy Ways to Donate Money to Buckalew PTO********
Kroger Community Rewards
Kroger Community Rewards makes fund-raising easy by donating to Buckalew based on the shopping you do everyday. Once you are registered, every time you shop at Kroger you will be earning money for Buckalew! Just search for Buckalew Elementary on your digital account select and save!
Box Tops for Education
The traditional clipping of Box Tops is going away but the Box Tops app makes it so easy to just scan your receipt after you shop. Box Tops are worth $.10 each and can add up fast! Twice a year, our school receives a check to help pay for whatever we need. There are also times to earn Bonus Box Tops and the App will send you these notifications. Participating companies include General Mills, Green Giant, Pillsbury, Ziploc, Hefty, Juicy Juice, Annie’s and many more.
Remember to scan your receipt within 14 days of purchase or it will expire.
Select Buckalew as your charity!
This is a simple & automatic way for you to support Buckalew every time you shop. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price. On your first visit to AmazonSmile, you need to select a charitable organization & your selection will be saved for future purchases. Just remember to always login under smile.amazon.com.
The purpose of the PTO is to: (a) promote the welfare of children at Buckalew; (b) to foster cooperation between parents and teachers in the education of children at Buckalew; (c) to unite school and community efforts in securing for all children the best education; (d) to engage in fundraising activities for the educational and recreational benefit of Buckalew, its children, teachers, and staff as determined by the PTO and in accordance with the PTO by-laws.
President- Paige Perry
VP Fundraising- Amy Kemp
VP Parent Involvement- Heather Lozinak
VP Communications- Jackie Berry
Treasurer- Elizabeth Kutka
Secretary- Janelle Ray
Parliamentarian- Julie Naughton
Buckalew Elementary PTO Membership 2020-2021
We Cannot Do It Without Your Support!
The Buckalew PTO membership is a family membership (1 per family) and costs $25.
Your membership will include one copy of the student directory and 1 Buckalew Elementary Car Decal.
To purchase your membership online:
1. Go to www.buckalewspiritstore.com
2. Click on Buckalew PTO Membership to add to cart
Buckalew Elementary PTO
Ongoing Spirit event at Locker Room Haircuts! - All Year!
Lost and Found
LOST AND FOUND
A friendly reminder to please label all of your child's belongings with first name and last initial or last name. **Water bottles, lunch boxes, hats, and especially outerwear such as hoodies/jackets/sweaters are all great things to label as these items tend to pile up quickly in the Lost and Found, which is located right outside of the gym. We really hope to reunite these lost items with their owners before Winter Break!
For more details/close-up pictures of items currently in Lost and Found, please visit the Buckalew Elementary Parent Facebook page.
If you have any additional questions, please contact Joanna Altimas: email@example.com
From our Police Department:
A few friendly reminders in regards to school zone safety and car rider drop off safety:
- Please remember to remind your children NOT to cross until the crossing guards are at their posts in the morning. The building is not open until 7:30.
- Please remember if you are in your car, to wait for the crossing guards not only to cross the children, but for the crossing guards themselves to make it back to the sidewalk.
- Please remember to stay off your cell phones when driving in school zones.
- Please remember their are NO DOGS allowed on school property. This is for your personal liability and the safety of all of our students.
- Please remember there are no U-Turns in front of the school.
- Lakeside Park- if you are dropping your kids off or picking them up from Lakeside Park please park your vehicle to do so. It becomes a safety issue to just drive up and let your kids out or have them get in without parking. Please use our car line in the back of Buckalew if you want just drop off your child.
Determining Regular or Close Contact at School
- Individual who has had close contact (within 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer) with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 up to 48 hrs prior to symptom onset.
- Individual who has had close contact (within 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer) with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 within 2 days prior to the person developing symptoms and/or testing positive.
- Individual who provided care at home to someone who is sick with COVID-19.
- Individual who had direct physical contact with someone who has COVID-19 including touched, hugged, or kissed them, shared eating or drinking utensils, or were sneezed or coughed on by the sick person while they had symptoms or within 2 days of the sick person developing symptoms and/or testing positive.
- The identified individuals may be required to quarantine at home for 14 days from the date of last contact with the positive person.
- The current pattern is those who do not wear a mask consistently during class are being quarantined.
- Face Shields alone are NOT CONSIDERED a mask or cloth face covering.
Parent Access Login
To access your child’s information online you must register for an account.
Please go to the following link and follow the directions below:
Click the “Student/Parent” tab
Click on “Parent Access Center”
Stay in touch with CISD by downloading our new mobile app!
Download the app on your mobile device today and select ‘yes’ to receive push notifications with the latest news and updates from the District.
- Push Notifications - Select ‘yes’ when you download the app to receive the latest push notifications from the District.
- Calendar Events - Add events to the calendar on your personal mobile device directly from the calendar section on the app.
- News - Check out the latest District-wide and school news all in one place!
20-21 Calendar for your planning purposes
Click below for FAQ's
Please Visit the Roadmap to Reopening as Updates are provided regularly
Give the Gift of a TAE (Teacher Achieving Excellence)
Log Into "Parent Access" by clicking:
and click on the "Teachers/Staff Excellence" Tab.
Feel free to type your own message and send any staff a positive message!