By Gabriela Villa Nova Silva
What is it?
Chain of infection
Signs and symptoms
Treatment or cure
- Treated with antiviral medications.
- Goal of the treatment is to clear the virus within at least 12 weeks after the end of the treatment.
- Medication have had serious side effects and required that a person be treated from 24 to 72 weeks.
- Recently advances combined new anti-viral medications with existing ones, as a result they had better outcomes, less side effects and shorter time in the treatment.
- Regimens may vary depending on the hepatitis C genotype.
- During a liver transplant, the surgeon removes your damaged liver and replaces it with a healthy liver.
- Liver transplant is not a cure.
- Treatment with antiviral medications usually continues after a liver transplant, since hepatitis C infection is likely to recur in the new liver.
What is the response from international agencies?
Although there is no vaccine for hepatitis C, your doctor will likely recommend that you receive vaccines against the hepatitis A and B viruses. These are separate viruses that also can cause liver damage and complicate treatment of hepatitis C. Avoid exposure to the blood of anyone who is infected with hepatitis C.
"Hep C." FAQs | HARVONI® (ledipasvir 90 Mg/sofosbuvir 400 Mg). N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Dec. 2015. <http://www.harvoni.com/taking-harvoni/faqs?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search+-+Awareness&utm_term=hepatitis+c>.
"Hepatitis C." - Mayo Clinic. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Dec. 2015. <http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hepatitis-c/basics/definition/CON-20030618>.
"Hepatitis C Test." MedSpring Urgent Care. N.p., 27 Feb. 2015. Web. 04 Dec. 2015. <http://medspring.com/hepatitis-c-test?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=MedSpring+-+Dallas+-+Injuries+%26+Illnesses+-+%5BNonBrand%5D+%5BEXACT%5D&utm_term=hepatitis+c>.
Feature, Stephanie WatsonWebMD. "Can Hepatitis C Be Cured?" WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 08 Dec. 2015. <http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/features/cure>.
Simmers, Louise. Diversified Health Occupations. 6th ed. Australia: Thomson/Delmar Learning, 2004. Print.