St. Barnabas Elementary School
Just a few reminders..
- Refrigerators have been delivered to all PK classrooms! Please be sure to reference communication from your child's teacher about sending in perishable items to school.
- Flu season is upon us! As per the NY Department of Health, it is a requirement that all PK-FA and 3K-FA children receive an Influenza vaccine between July 1 and December 31 of the current school year. Flyers are attached below in the PK section of this newsletter.
On November 1st, students are invited to donate to dress down to support the fight against Pancreatic Cancer! A donation slip has been sent home by your child's teacher and has been attached to this newsletter.
THANKSGIVING FOOD DRIVE
Beginning Monday, November 1, 2021 - Ending Monday, November 22, 2021
As another yearly tradition, SBES has collected cans of vegetables, gravy jars, boxes of pasta, stuffing and cereals, etc. for the needy in our community. Through the generosity of our families, our Main Lobby is always filled with baskets of food as we "Stop and Give Thanks" for all our blessings and help those less fortunate!
Good luck to our 8th grade students that will be taking the TACHS on Friday, November 5th. This year’s TACHS Test will once again be an online, at-home, remote test. Students will be required to have a device that is equipped with a webcam and is compatible with Chrome browser along with access to the internet. Registration closed on October 24th for the TACHS exam.
The Scholastic Book Fair is coming to SBES on November 15th until November 19th. A flyer will be sent home with students on Monday, November 1st. A letter from Mrs. Cruz regarding the fair has been attached below.
- If your child is going to be absent, please contact the teacher and the main office directly. Additionally, all PK absences should be reported to our UPK admin, Mrs. Rivera, at email@example.com. A complete list of all teachers and their email addresses, should you need them, can be found on the school website. Upon return, an absence note is required. The complete absence policy can be seen below.
- On Sunday, you will receive a Google Health Survey. Please complete the form either Sunday evening or Monday morning BEFORE your child(ren) arrive to school. There will be one form for PreK and one form for K-8. Each child must have a form completed. Please scroll down for more details.
- Pre-k parents should scroll down to see the weekly newsletter for their child's class along with parent workshops that are being offered in October and November. The lunch menu for November has been attached below as well.
- PK will be in session on November 2nd for a full day of instruction.
Should you need to reach me for anything, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (718) 324-1088.
Dine to Donate Fundraiser
Complete flyer attached below in the calendar section of this newsletter.
Donate to Dress Down!
Students are invited to donate to dress down in purple on November 1st for Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month!
The future is BRIGHT for our little learners!
Did you know all of our PK classrooms contain a light table? Light tables create lots of opportunities for activities and learning that early learners can take advantage of.
Donate to Dress Down!
1st - Food Drive Begins! Donate to Dress Down for Pancreatic Cancer Awareness.
2nd - FULL DAY OF SCHOOL FOR PK! (This is a change from the initial calendar that was distributed in September.)
4th- 8th Grade Graduation Photos and PK-Grade 7 Make Up Photos Only.
5th - End of Quarter 1. Good Luck to our 8th grade students taking the TACHS exam today!
12th- Report cards released.
15th - Dine to Donate Fundraiser from 4PM to 10PM....Scholastic Book Fair Begins!
Follow Us On Social Media
IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM ARCHBISHOP DOLAN
Lately, there has been a disturbing rise in the number of teen suicides. To help address this national epidemic, the Archdiocese of New York is sponsoring an upcoming webinar, presented twice, on youth suicide prevention for parents, guardians, and families. I would like to invite you to consider attending one of these webinars, or to share the information with someone who may benefit from it.
Designed for parents, guardians, and families, and sponsored by our Family Life Office, a webinar will be held on Thursday, October 28th and repeated on Wednesday, November 3rd. The webinars are free, and will last about an hour, from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m., followed by questions and answers. (If you can’t make either date, the webinar will be recorded and available online. Stay tuned for further info.)
These webinars will give you tools to help alert you to warning signs, and guide you to action. And even though your own child may not be at risk for suicide, you should be able to guide a youth on how to help a friend who’s struggling, because as we know, friends are often the first to know.
Scholastic Book Fair
All PK absence emails should be sent to your child's teacher and our UPK admin, Mrs. Rivera (email@example.com).
Physicals and Immunizations
As a reminder, every student must have an updated physical on file each school year. ALL students must have up-to-date immunization records and a physical exam form completed each school year. For convenience, all forms are linked below. Please note that all NYC Pre-K students, under the age of 5 by December 31, 2021, will need to have a current flu vaccine on file. For those students that require an inhaler, or other medications such as an epipen, to be administered in school, I have linked the medical administration forms.
After School- Registration now closed
After School Program- Please be sure to send a small snack. Program ends at 5:45pm. Late pickup will incur an additional fee ($1/ minute).
If you have registered for after school and have indicated that you will use the service TBD- please be sure to send an email on Sunday to your child's teacher and to the main office so that we can plan accordingly.
PK After Care students should be sent with a change of clothes and/or an extra pull-up just in case.
Grades K-8 pick up at the Cafeteria entrance located on 241st street near the main entrance to the school. PreK- pick up at the auditorium doors.
Billing--- All families should have received their first bill. Please note that September's charges were spread out throughout October- May.
COVID Weekly Health Screening
Each week you will be required to complete the Weekly Health Self-Screening Google Form on behalf of your child(ren) before entering the school building Monday mornings.
Surveys should be completed Sunday evening or Monday mornings by 7am.
Lunch at SBES- Kindergarten- Grade 8
St. Barnabas Elementary School has partnered with Division Food Service Management and MySchoolAccount.com for the managing of our lunch pre- order service and payments for the 2021-2022 school year. Please see the attached Parent Welcome Letter for more information on how to place your order. (Student Id numbers are provided from the vendor) If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out to Nicole Cestra at the email listed below: Nicole@Division-Hospitality.Com or 646-523-2028.
The November lunch schedule for UPK students has been posted below.
NEW students- please call Nicole to assist with your account set up.
Parent Referral Incentive:
The following credit will be applied to the referring Parent’s 2021-22 Smart Tuition account and will appear on the family’s February billing statement:
· A one-time tuition credit of $250 for each new family registered in Full-Day Pre-K 3 or 4 (not UPK) and Grades K-8, for any referring Parent whose outreach and referral efforts result in a new family registering their child(ren) at any Regional School in the Archdiocese of New York in Full-Day Pre-K 3 or 4 (not UPK) and Grades K-8 for the 2021-22 school year and remaining in good standing with the school through February 1, 2022.
· The referring Parent must
o Refer the prospective family to the school for a virtual meeting with the school principal, or his/her designee, and
o Complete and sign this referral form on or before the time of the virtual meeting with the principal to initiate the referral process. Referral forms received after the virtual meeting will not be accepted.
· The prospective family must be NEW to the school in Grades K-8, OR have a student enrolled on a full time basis in a Pre K (non UPK) program; returning families are not covered by this Program.
· The referral credit for the referring Parent will be applied to their tuition bill in time for the February billing statement provided that:
o The new family’s child has continued to be enrolled in the school through February 1, 2022, and
o The referring family has remained current on their tuition payments.
High School Open Houses
Annual Asbestos Inspection Update
Although we may not realize it, asbestos is a common material in almost every building in our society. It is a fire-proofing material; it is found in floor tiles; it is used as an acoustical material to deaden sound. Under certain conditions, however, damaged asbestos can prove to be a concern. Recently, because of that concern, the Federal Government asked that every school in the country conduct an inspection for all asbestos-containing materials.
The annual inspection of our school revealed all asbestos-containing materials are in Priority III condition, indicating that only ongoing inspections are needed to assure proper maintenance for the future.
The Archdiocese has spent well over 10 million dollars in the abatement of asbestos since 1983 (long before current regulations) and will continue with the commitment to provide a safe environment for our students and employees. In addition to the asbestos inspection, the school building is inspected by an exterminator on a regular basis for rodents and pests and sprayed for control as the need arises.
Any questions or concerns can be brought to the school’s Main Office at (718) 324-1088.
St. Barnabas Church Corner
St. Barnabas Elementary School
Through an enriched curriculum, complete with after-school offerings, St. Barnabas provides the tools and teaches the skills necessary for future success. In the way of Jesus, our children are taught the discipline, charity and grace of our Lord.