Spotlight on Strategies
1. The teacher will assign home teams of 3. Each student within the group will be assigned a number 1-4
2. Each home group area will be assigned a community.
3. Have students move to “expert” groups. 1s move to rural community group, 2s move to suburban community group, and 3s move to urban community group.
4. Once together, “expert” groups will read, discuss and research to come up with their visual aid, 4 facts, and example to explain their topic when they get back to their home group.
5. Students return to their home group and take turns teaching the members of their home group about what they learned and created in their expert group. In our social studies journals, each member of the home team will record what they learned about the three types of communities.
6. Finally, the class will take part in a group discussion in which we review each type of community, and check to make sure we have enough information recorded in our journals to refer to as notes later in the chapter. We will also watch a video as a whole group about the three communities. We will also take time to share pictures or other visual aids created by the groups for each community, by sorting them into the three categories and displaying them on the whiteboard.
(2004). Retrieved from http%3A%2F%2Fpixdaus.com%2Frural-community%2Fitems%2Ftag%2Frural%2Bcommunity%2F
Aronson, E. (2004). The jigsaw classroom in 10 easy steps. Retrieved July 22, 2014, from http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jigsaw.org%2Fsteps.htm
Instructional strategies online - jigsaw. (n.d.). Retrieved July 23, 2014, from http://olc.spsd.sk.ca/DE/PD/instr/strats/jigsaw/
Jigsaw. (2012, February 16). Retrieved July 20, 2014, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtm5_w6JthA
The Jigsaw Classroom: Tips on Implementation. (n.d.). Retrieved July 23, 2014, from http://www.jigsaw.org/tips.htm
La' James International College nyc trip. (n.d.). Retrieved July 22, 2014, from http://www.ljic.edu/OpeningDoors/TravelNYC.aspx
Nettler, J. (2013, February 25). The suburbs - a community of brick suburban homes on a cloudy summer day. Retrieved July 22, 2014, from http://www.planetizen.com/node/60920
Urban, Suburban, & Rural. (2009, April 29). Retrieved July 20, 2014, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuF2o7SaRWU