From the Reform to the Restored Republic
The Constitution of 1857
Some provisions of the Federal Constitution 1857:
- All citizens are equal before the law and prohibits exclavitud
- Teaching in Mexico is free
- In Mexico there is freedom of expression , of organization , so that every person engaged in the work one you like or agree
- No person or group can have privileges affecting the rest of the population
- Are prohibited corporal punishment of any kind
Constitución de 1857
Important content of Laws:
- The church property would pass to be property of the nation.
- Births, Marriages and Deaths could only recognize Civile Registration.
- The government would manage hospitals , cemeteries and charitable institutions without the intervention of the church
The War of the Reformation:
- Is one of the episodes of the long struggle between Liberal and Conservative forces that dominated the country’s history in the 19th century.
- After the end of the Mexican War of Independence, the country was strongly divided as it tried to recover from more than a decade of fighting. From 1821 to 1857, fifty different governments ruled the country. These governments included dictatorships, constitutional republican governments and a monarchy.
- The Liberals wanted a federalist government, limiting traditional Catholic Church and military influence in the country.