Life During the New Deal
Roles of Women During the New Deal
- Frances Perkins was the first woman to head an executive department in national govt.
- Women were leaders in many New Deal agencies
Roles of African Americans
- William Hastie became the first black federal judge in U.S. history
- Black Cabinet group of African Americans that FDR appointed to key government positions.
- Roosevelt felt that angering southern Democrats would jeopardize the entire New Deal.
Artists During This Time
- James Agee was a writer that depicted the lives of sharecroppers in the Lower South
- Walker Evans was a photographer who focused on a group of families in rural Alabama.
Popular Entertainment in 1930's
- The movies were based on the hardships of life during the Great Depression and the Financial hardships of older couples.
- For comedy The Marx Brothers used a zany style to produce a string of hits.
- Charlie Chaplin produced hilarious silent movies such as the classic Modern Times
- Radios helped broaden the appeal of jazz , and was an important role in politics with FDR's fireside chats.
Sports During the 1930's
- Joe Louis a big star heavyweight fighter.His 1938 bout against Max Schmelling was part of the growing conflict between Germany and the United States.