Meiosis and Mitosis
- Meiosis creates gametes (sex cells). It creates this through a process of nuclear division that reduces the number of chromosomes by half.
- There are 2 stages of meiosis and 4 phases. (Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase and Cytokinesis)
- The sperm cells and egg cells produce 23 chromosomes each to equal a total of 46.
- This process occurs in humans, animals, plants and fungi.
- It is part of a process that cell division that results in an identical replica.
- The word mitosis means thread.
- Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase and Telophase are the steps for this process.
- It has the equal number of chromosomes even though from one organism.
- This is in all organisms.
Compare and Contrast
- Meiosis- sexual reproduction Mitosis- asexual
- Meiosis has 2 stages and mitosis has 1
- Meiosis takes place in humans, animals, plants and fungi; Mitosis takes place in all organisms.
- In in meiosis the cells get half the chromosomes from the male and half from the female.; In mitosis the cells get all the chromosomes from one organism