News about the Cohasset Middle School--Summer 2019 Issue
Introducing the CMS Spinnaker
Charting Our Course
August 21: Superintendent's Parental Meet/Greet with New District and School Leaders (6PM-CPS Community Room)
Week of August 19: Student Schedules Mailed
August 26: Grade 6 Student Orientation (8:45-Noon-CMS Auditorium)
September 3: First Day of School
September 11: 6th Grade Field Trip to Camp Wing
Busy Summer Months at School
- Many teachers have been at school working on new curriculum and collaborating with colleagues
- Members of our Science Dept. have worked with former students to set-up our new 3-D printers (Thank You to the Cohasset Education Foundation!!)
- Hiring committees made of of teachers, administrators and community members have worked together to bring only the best educators on board
- The Custodial Staff has labored through heat and humidity to make the school sparkle!
- District leadership have been amazingly supportive and provided great vision to the establishment of the Cohasset Middle School as a unique and independent center of inquiry and learning for grade 6-8 students (Thanks Dr.Sullivan, Dr.Scollins, Ms.Buchanon and Mr.MacMillan!)
- Leaders from across the district have worked together to successfully implement the Aspen Student Information System
- Great efforts have gone into planning for a wonderful school opening on September 3rd for our students.
- Big and small construction projects underway throughout the summer
- And much, much more!
Open Letter to Our Parents and Community
Dear Cohasset Middle School Parents:
It gives me great pleasure to contact you as the new Principal of the Cohasset Middle School. I hope you and your CMS student(s) have had a wonderful summer so far. With great support from Superintendent Dr. Patrick Sullivan; Dr. Scollins our new Asst. Superintendent and Mr. Scott, the Principal of CHS, I have begun working to prepare for the new school year.
I have been a middle school and high school teacher and educational leader for over twenty years. Throughout much of my career I have worked right here on the South Shore (Scituate and Marshfield). I believe that my central responsibility is to collaborate with parents, faculty and staff to ensure your student an academically rigorous and personally supportive environment committed to excellence and growth.
Joining me in this adventure is Dr. Kathryn Salas who was appointed the Cohasset Middle School’s new Assistant Principal. Dr. Salas brings tremendous experience as a middle school leader and guidance counselor to this position. She approaches this new role with boundless enthusiasm and novel perspectives.
We are excitedly getting ready for school to reopen and look forward to meeting your middle school student(s). We are also excited for the opportunity to partner with our new community and faculty to chart a distinct and extraordinary course for the Cohasset Middle School.
If you are a parent of an incoming 6th grader, please mark August 26 on your calendar which is our Sixth Grade Orientation Day. Until then, please do not hesitate to contact me. I look forward to meeting you.
John P. Mills