The Trojan Times
St. Maria Goretti Catholic School January 20, 2019
Dear SMG Families & Friends,
Happy Sunday! Though this is a short week (remember, No School tomorrow, MLK, Jr. Day), we have a lot going on, especially as we prepare for the many events happening at SMG over the next few weeks!
Next weekend begins Catholic Schools Week 2019. Please be sure to check out all of the details below regarding the many events planned at SMG.
A few reminders:
- The SMG theme for CSW will be Mission Possible, and we really hope to highlight our mission to be a living testament to our Lord’s work in His youngest disciples, exemplified by academic excellence, spiritual formation, and compassionate service to others. Information was sent home with students last Monday, 1/14 regarding the Mission Possible Challenge. If your student participated in the Mission Possible Challenge, please be sure to send in pictures you may have taken to your student's homeroom teacher by Tuesday, 1/22.
- SMG students are asked to wear their SMG Mass uniforms to any Mass they attend next weekend (Saturday or Sunday) as we begin Catholic Schools Week. Please see details under CSW week below.
- The Diocese of Fort Worth will have a special collection during all Masses, January 26-27 supporting Catholic Education in the Diocese of Fort Worth. Funds generated will go to the Catholic School Tuition Assistance Fund. Please see the information below for details on how your donation can be specifically designated toward the Tuition Assistance Fund at SMG.
- Pre-purchase your Spaghetti Dinner tickets at the front office this week.
- Dinner Dance and Auction tickets can be purchased online through One Cause. See DD information below.
Have a wonderful week ahead!
St. Maria Goretti, Pray for Us!
Laura Behee, M.Ed.
Catholic Schools Week 2019
Catholic Schools Week is a time to celebrate our Catholic schools, specifically all that is True, Good, and Beautiful happening at SMG!
Catholic Schools Week at SMG 2019:
- Sunday, January 27th: Catholic Schools Week Begins!
*SMG Students are asked to wear their Mass Uniforms to any Mass they attend his weekend (Saturday or Sunday); check in with an SMG faculty/staff member for an out of uniform dress day in February.
*Special Collection at Mass to Support Catholic Education in Diocese of FW
*Open House 10AM-2PM: Campus Tours for Prospective Families and Open House for current SMG families.
*Used Uniform & SMG Swag Sale will be open in the cafetorium from 10AM - 2PM. Uniforms and jumpers with the former (Parker) plaid pattern will be on sale at drastically reduced prices! Since next year will be the last year that this pattern can be worn, we are no longer accepting donations of uniforms with (Parker) plaid. Also, we have large inventory of brand new SMG fleece jackets, sweaters, and other uniform pieces that will be available at discounted prices as well. Finally, SMG Swag t-shirts, sweat shirts, car magnets, and yard signs will be available for purchase!
*Spaghetti Dinner: See details below.
- Monday, January 28th: Volunteer Appreciation Day
- Tuesday, January 29th: Parent Appreciation Day: Parents, look for a special treat in morning car line today!
- Wednesday, January 30th: Faculty/Staff Appreciation Day: Thanks to our volunteers who are covering classrooms while teachers enjoy an entire hour-long lunch break.
- Thursday, January 31st: Community Day: Students have selected the following service projects to benefit our community. Look for grade-level flyers and emails with details. Please deliver your donations by January 31st.
*PK-2nd Grade: Arlington Animal Services-collecting food, toys, and used blankets and towels.
*3rd-5th Grade: Mission Arlington-collecting school supplies.
*6th-8th Grade: St. Theresa of the Child Jesus Baby's World- collecting onesies, burp clothes, and baby bottles.
- Friday, February 1st: Student Appreciation Day-World Read Aloud Day; the SMG 28-Day Read Aloud Challenge kick off; DEAR (Drop Everything And Read) will be announced every hour beginning at 8:15 a.m. We will announce two lucky winners each hour during DEAR time who will receive $10 Half-Priced Books gift cards. Faculty/Staff vs. Students Volleyball Game.
Support Catholic Education in the Diocese of Fort Worth
Bishop Olson invites you to be especially generous to next week's special collection for the Catholic School Tuition Assistance Fund. One hundred percent of the funds collected remain in the Diocese to assist families with tuition expenses to our 19 Catholic School.
Truth, beauty, and goodness are the hallmarks of Catholic education in North Texas. Join with Catholic school families and faithful Catholics across the Diiocese to suppport Catholic education and the Catholic School Tuition Assistance Fund on January 26-27. Giving is easy: Make your donation during Mass or text SCHOOLS to 91999--remember to select St. Maria Goretti Catholic School on the pull down menu! If donating during the collection at Mass, please write SMG in the notes on your check or on the envelope if giving cash.
Did you know that more than 1,000 children benefit from the Catholic School Tuition Assistance Fund? Tuition Assistance makes a Catholic education affordable for these families. Your gift to the Catholic School Tuition Assistance Fund makes a difference in the lives of these children. Thank you!
SMG Annual Spaghetti Dinner
Mangia, mangia! The SMG Annual Spaghetti Dinner is next Sunday and will be another fun opportunity for faith, community, and of course, eating!
When: Sunday, January 27th
Where: The Holy Family Life Center (Gym)
- Pre-purchased (available now at the school front desk): $7-Adults; $6-Seniors; $4-Children under 10 years old
- At the door: $8-Adults; $7-Seniors; $5-Children under 10 years old
Volunteer: There are still many volunteer opportunities listed on the SignUp Genius on the school website or visit https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448ada622a5fe3-aspaghetti2
World Read Aloud Day and the SMG 28-Day Read Aloud Challenge
On Friday, February 1st, we will be celebrating World Read-Aloud Day 2019! What is World Read-Aloud Day? Every year on World Read-Aloud Day, children, teens, and adults across the U.S. and in more than 100 countries worldwide celebrate the power of words by reading aloud and sharing stories to promote literacy. At SMG, students will be celebrating by "dropping everything and reading" and listening to stories being read aloud.
We are also using this day to kick-off our St. Maria Goretti Catholic School 28-Day Read-Aloud Challenge! We are challenging students to read aloud for at least 10 minutes each day during the month of February. Students can read to anyone: a sibling, a parent, a grandma, a stuffed animal…..the point is to READ!! All students who complete the challenge will be eligible to win prizes during our Monday Morning Assembly on March 4th.
More information about World Read Aloud Day and how to participate in the 28-Day Read-Aloud Challenge will be communicated as the date draws nearer.
Read Aloud Resources:
- TED Talk: "Why We Should All Be Reading Aloud to Children" by Rebecca Bellingham
- Read Aloud Revival #49: "Why We Should All Be Reading Aloud to Children"
- "The Hidden Benefits of Reading Aloud — Even for Older Kids"by Connie Matthiessen with Jim Trelease
Dinner, Dance, and Auction 2019
Auction Item Sneak Peak!!
There are so many totally awesome auction items for the 2019 Dinner Dance, but this one we just had to give you a sneak peak on...
Camp Thurman - the DFW area's destination for summer camp and a tradition dating back to 1969, has very generously donated an ENTIRE WEEK of Summer Camp to the St. Maria Goretti Dinner Dance this year!
Just ask any kid - This place is amazing and their generosity is equally as outstanding!
Not familiar with Camp Thurman? Here's their website to find out more: http://www.campthurman.org/
Looking for ways to get involved with Dinner Dance? There are still so many ways you can help.
We need volunteers to set up and decorate the HFLC on Friday , February 1, 12:00pm – 9:00pm. We need volunteers to help during the event on Saturday, February 2, 4:30pm – 11:30pm. Go to the Sign-Up Genius on the school website to volunteer!
In lieu of class baskets, we are requesting donations for $20 gift cards for the Dinner Dance and Auction. Each gift card donated earns you one volunteer hour toward Kountry Karnival hours. The gift cards can be turned into Stephanie Malloy, she has the volunteer hour form to be filed out. We greatly appreciate you generosity.
Finally, if you haven't purchased your Dinner Dance tickets, now is definitely the time! Tickets are on sale at http://bidpal.net/smgdd2019
Registration for 2019-2020 School Year Begins Soon
Registration for the 2019-2020 School Year opens Monday, February 11th. Watch for email communications with information about the registration/enrollment process, tuition, and payment structure beginning Monday, February 4th.
Spring Creek BBQ Dine Out Night Results
- Mrs. Gutierrez 3B
- Mrs. Bara KB
- Mrs. Hoerdeman 5A
We hope to see many alumni at the Annual Spaghetti Dinner on Sunday, January 27th! Alumni who update their contact information at the Alumni Table at the Spaghetti Dinner will enjoy a free meal at the event! See Spaghetti Dinner information above for details.
Once a Trojan--Always a Trojan!
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth
Monday, January 21st: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day--No School, No SMEED
Sunday, January 27th: Catholic Schools Week begins - see details for each day above
- SMG Catholic School Open House 10AM-2PM
- Annual SMG Spaghetti Dinner 10AM-2PM in the Gym (HFLC); also featuring PreK-4 Musical Performance @ 12:30PM
Friday, February 1st: Early Dismissal @ 12PM; No Lunch Service; SMEED available until 6PM
Saturday, February 2nd: Dinner, Dance, and Auction 6:30-11:30PM in the HFLC (Gym)
Saturday, February 2nd: 2nd Grade First Reconciliation Retreat