Nuclear Disaster: Kyshtym
29th of September of 1957 near Chelyabinsk, Russia
WHAT was the KYSHTYM DISASTER ?
WHO was INVOLVED ?
FUN FACT: The Mayak Nuclear Complex was built in 1948.
WHAT CAUSED it ?
The coolant tubing in one of the nuclear waste tanks began leaking from the Mayak. Due to extremely poor engineering, the tank's structure did not allow for repairs of the system. Instead they shut off the water in which made the temperature & pressure inside the tank raised and so caused the explosion.
- Sodium Nitrate
- Acetate Salts
- Strontium -90
- Cesium -137
- Over 470, 000 people were exposed to radiation
- Over 200 people died of radiation sickness
2nd & 3rd generation victims experience
- Genetic disorders
- Birth defects
- Other defects
DUE TO THE SECURITY SURROUNDING KYSHTYM-57 NO PICTURES REGARDING HUMAN HEALTH EFFECTS COULD BE FOUND
Says that they saw bluish-purple in the sky as well as polar lights
and it affected some people with radioactive chemicals and things became contaminated. As well as
- Plant life
- Crops and Cattle life
- Most land will be contaminated for hundreds of years
Will experience birth defects and genetic disorders to radiation
- 3rd most serious nuclear disaster ever recorded
- Victims skin was saw to be peeling off, shedding off their faces, arms, and other exposed skin
- Maya Chemical Combine is the largest Nuclear Complex in the World
- 10, 000 people had to evacuate their house
- Level 6