Fun with Feelings
Social Emotional Learning Kindergarten Readiness Workshop
How to use the online workshop...
Be creative with the activities and use what you have at home.
Have fun with your child and enjoy!
- The Color Monster Read A loud
- Importance of Sleep
Why is sleep so important??
- Sleep Boosts Learning
- Sleep helps beat germs
- Sleep effects weight
- Sleep increases attention span
Take a Look at the two Sleep Guides Below
It is important to help your child become Independent
Here are some tips for parents:
- Avoid doing everything for them
- Allow for enough time to practice
- Be prepared of mistakes
- Do some prep work before handing over to your child
- Set them Up for Success
Below are activities you can have your child practice at home
- Shoes: Practice taking shoes on and off (don't worry about tying if your child hasn't mastered this skill yet)
- Coat: Put coat on zip up, unzip, take it off and up on hook
- Buttons: Practice buttoning and unbuttoning (this is helpful when your child has to use bathroom independently at school)
- Backpack: Have your child unzip backpack, take books or folders out, zip backpack and then place on hook. Also reverse this by having them unzip, place books or folders in the backpack, zip it up and place on their back.
- Scissors: Allow your child to practice cutting with scissors
- Pencil Grip: Give you child a pencil and have them practice writing their name, numbers, letters, etc.
Watch the video below and have fun practicing with the activities.
Make a set of cards with different feelings on them. Have your child draw a card and make a face to match the feeling.
Ex. Draw the sad card, your child will make a sad/frowning face in the mirror.
Temperament and Communication
How we communicate with our children also matters. Take a look at the charts below for some more information and tips.
Taking Turns and Communication
Try the timer activity and play games with your child to practice taking turns. You can use the links below, play simple card games, memory match, or sit and roll a ball back and forth.