Learning is supposed to be hard!
Patterns of Interaction
You can encourage debate between pupils by:
- Promoting the ABC of discussion: Agree with, Build on or Challenge.
- Asking the person who has spoken to choose a pupil with their hand up to speak next (reminding them that they are not allowed to return to the person who has just spoken to avoid one-on-one debates).
- Nominating a "because" counter to assess how in depth answers were. One person in the class counts how many time the word "because" has been used in the discussion.
- Using "might" and "could" in question to reduce the perceived risk of making a mistake.
- Asking some Accelerated Learners to play devil's advocate. Find out what their point of view is on the topic and ask them to argue from the other side.