January 13 - 27, 2017
Congratulations Norah Guerry
5th grader Norah Guerry will represent Farney at the District Spelling Bee
Monday, Jan 16th
Make sure to follow Farney on Twitter!
- End of 2nd Grading Period
- Student Holiday
- Math Night (1st-5th) 6-7 pm
- Report Cards Go Home
- Kindergarten Pajama Day
- Name That Book Competition 4:30 pm
- Hoedown - K, 1, 2 (A/C) During Large Group
- Hoedown - K, 1, 2 (B/D) During Large Group
- Valentine Exchange
- Progress Reports Go Home
- Student Holiday
- Boosterthon Fun Run
Math Night - Tuesday, Jan. 17th
We want you to enjoy and learn with your child!! This event is for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. Come learn more about math technology, problem solving skills, strategies, and games to enhance math knowledge.
January 17, 2017
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students and parents
2016-2017 Name That Book Competition
Practice during Recess:
3rd Grade: Monday
4th Grade: Wednesday
5th Grade: Friday
Grade Level Competition: January 23rd during Large Group
School Competition: February 7th at 4:30 pm - Farney Library
Regional/District Competition: February 27th at 5:00 pm - Berry Center
Character Education January Theme: Kindness
This month we will be celebrating kindness by kicking off the Souper Bowl of Caring Food Drive and participating in The Great Kindness Challenge! See attached flyers for details.
Seeking Community Mentors
Farney Elementary is seeking community mentors to serve as positive role models for our students. Being a community mentor is extremely rewarding and only takes a commitment of 30 minutes a week to mentor/meet with one of our Farney students.
Mentors must attend a one-time district orientation before they can mentor at the school. Once you have completed your training and background check, we will work with you to match you with a student who would be the best fit for you.
More information can be found here: www.cfisd.net Community Involvement Mentor
Please contact Shannon Zepeda, Mentor Program Coordinator at 281 373-2850
Library Low Down
We currently have 496 available eBooks ready for checkout online. This list includes popular series, Name that Book titles, nonfiction and fiction.
Directions for reading ebooks on your home computer:
- Go to www.cfisd.net
- Click on the “Parents and Students” tab
- Choose “Library Resources”
- “Click here to find your campus library”
- Choose Farney Elementary
- Students will need to log in with their regular username and password to check out eBooks.
- Click “Follett Shelf” on the top bar.
- Book will be listed alphabetically by title. You can use the filters on the left side or use the search feature to narrow down your options.
- Click open/check out – by checking the book out, you will be able to go back to your “bookbag” at any time in the next 2 weeks and continue reading where you left off. If the “check out” option is not listed, then it is a multi-user book and does not need to be checked out to continue reading.
To read your ebook on a portable device:
- Through the App Store or Google Play, download a copy of BryteWave K-12 Edition
- This app works with your iPhone, iPod Touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, Android phones and tablets, Kidnle Fire and Nook.
- Log in with your school username and password. The FollettShelf URL is: wbb27922
- Downloads will be placed in the “bookbag”. You have a 2 week checkout.
***NOTE: If you are having issues with the ebooks opening on your computer, try changing browsers. Books work best when opened in Google Chrome.
A big huge Thank You goes out to Sandy Eudy, Martha Steele, and Jenn Totten for being my top 3 volunteers for November and December. I couldn’t do it without you.
The Farney Library is looking for volunteers. Join in on the fun and sign up to be a part of a wonderful group of volunteers.
Please sign up at www.farneypto.com .
Birthday Book Club
Thank you Birthday Book Club members for purchasing 21 new books for the library during November and December.
Our Watch Dog program consists of Dads or Father Figures of Great Students who volunteer one day at their child’s school. They will perform a variety of tasks including assisting with the car line in the morning, eating lunch with their child, monitoring the cafeteria and helping in their child’s classroom. We have sent out the link for dads to pick their date on the calendar. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating and have not received the calendar link. We look forward to your participation and hope to see many dads at Farney Elementary!
Student Lunch Accounts
Student lunch accounts can be replenished with CHECK or CASH ONLY at school. Please make sure payments are labeled with the student's name and homeroom teacher. If you would like to add funds using a credit card please visit https://www.schoolcafe.com/initial.
The cafeteria is unable to accept credit cards for any purchases or account deposits.
Car Rider Tags
WANT TO KNOW HOW TO HELP???
We have SO many opportunities for you to volunteer at Farney! We encourage you to get involved in any way you can. If you cannot come in to the school during the day, we have brown bag projects that can be sent home. A strong home/school partnership means success for our children. For more information go to www.farneypto.com.
To earn money for our school each time you shop, simply register your Kroger card (cards have to be registered EACH year) online: www.krogercommunityrewards.com
BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION
Collecting Box Tops is an easy way to earn money for Farney. The Box Top form is included in this newsletter. Attach your Box Tops to the form and send them in. Each month, the homeroom that turns in the most will win a special treat!
Download the free app and scan your receipts. It's that easy! Shoparoo accepts receipts from grocery, clothing, home improvement, sporting good, clothing stores, restaurants and many more!