Classified Information for Tiger Eyes - October 2017
The leaves may not be changing in Edmond yet, but Fall is just around the corner! In fact, it's already time for Parent/Teacher Conferences. We cordially invite you to join us for come-and-go conferences this Thursday, October 12 or next Monday, October 16. Conferences will be held here at Central from 4:30 - 8:00 p.m. Please bring a copy of your student's schedule or have it ready to go through the Parent Portal on your cell phone. You will simply find your student's teachers and chat with them for a few minutes regarding your child's progress. Educators will be located in the following areas:
- 6th grade - Cafeteria
- 7th and 8th grade - Gym
- Electives - Media Center
- All Special Education Teachers and Speech Pathologists - in their classrooms with the exception of Mrs. Holden who will be in Room 139.
If your child is doing well socially and academically at school and you do not need to conference with teachers at this time, that is totally fine. Feel free to reach out to his/her teachers if you like rather than attending conferences. We know you are busy and want to be respectful of your time!
We are looking forward to the evening of November 2nd for our second-annual Central Celebration. Last year we commemorated the 60th anniversary of our school by going back to 1956! This year, we will celebrate the 25th anniversary of Central being a middle school by going back to 1993! So,get your 90's garb ready for a night of fun and fellowship. We will have food trucks, fall games, face painting and more! Our fabulous PTO is organizing a Boutique fair where you can shop 'til you drop in preparation for the holidays. So, plan to join the Central staff from 5-7 p.m. on November 2. We can't wait to see you!
With FIERCE Commitment,
Laura L. McGee, M.Ed.
& the CMS Administrative Team
Upcoming Events - Save the Date!
Click here to view athletic schedules! A special athletics newsletter featuring our accomplishments and information will be coming your way in a separate email!
- Monday, 10/2 - Author Visit, Victoria Jamison
- Wednesday, 10/4 - Author Visit, Sharon Brubaker
- Wednesday, 10/4 - Fundraiser for ORCHESTRA begins
- Monday, 10/9 - Wednesday, 10/25 - Canned Food Drive!!
- Tuesday and Wednesday, 10/10 - 10/11 - SOS Program in 7th grade (suicide prevention)
- Wednesday, 10/11 - Basketball Meeting for Parents of ALL Bball Players - 5:30 p.m. - Central Cafeteria
- Thursday, 10/12 - Parent/Teacher Conferences 4:30 - 8:00 p.m.
- Friday, 10/13 - Central band students play at the Memorial football game held at SFHS - 6 p.m.
- Monday, 10/16 - Parent/Teacher Conferences 4:30 - 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, 10/17 - High Attendance/Pink OUT Football Games - 7th and 8th grades play at EMHS beginning at 4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, 10/18 - Exercise the Right to Read - Students should wear clothes to exercise in at the track during electives.
- Thursday, 10/19 - Monday, 10/23 - FALL BREAK
- Monday, 10/23 - Friday, 10/27 - National Red Ribbon Week (drug and alcohol prevention)
- Tuesday, 10/24 - School Resumes
- Tuesday, 10/24 - Monday, 11/6 - Butterbraids Fundraiser!
- Thursday, 10/26 - Boys' Night Out Concert - ENHS - Time TBA
- Friday, 10/27 - Fall Picture Retakes - Dress Fancy Day!
- Tuesday, 10/31 - Tiger Awards Assembly, Superhero Concert, and Student/Staff Volleyball Game (assembly schedule during the day) 1:00 - 2:40; Students may wear school dress code appropriate super hero costumes when they pay $1 - proceeds benefit the CMS Band! Bring fun band-aids on this day as well for children fighting cancer.
- Wednesday, 11/1 - CODA Mock Auditions - Band Room from 2:45 - 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, 11/1 - OKC Philharmonic Field Trip for 6th grade orchestra students
- Thursday, 11/2 - Central Celebration from 5 - 7 p.m.
- Monday, 11/6 - Author Visit - April Henry - all grades
- Wednesday, 11/8 - Musical Matinee Performance - 8:00 and 1:00 p.m. in Cafeteria
- Thursday and Friday, 11/9-11/10 - Evening Performances of the musical The Wizard of Oz - 7:00 p.m. in the Central Cafeteria
- Thursday, 11/16 - PTO Meeting @ 9:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, 11/22 - Sunday, 11/26 - Thanksgiving Break - No School!
- Monday, 11/27 - School Resumes
State Testing Reports and Results
Any time changes are made in standardized testing, there can be changes in student performance results. We want you to be prepared for this in case your students' scores are not reflective of how they have performed in the past. Here's some important information from the Oklahoma State School Boards' Association that will help you understand any changes you may see on your students' testing reports once they arrive:
- The projected drop in scores doesn’t mean students are learning less; Oklahoma has significantly raised the bar to make sure all students are well prepared for their futures.
- Oklahoma has benchmarked its test score performance levels to enable national comparisons. At the high school level, students will take the ACT or SAT in addition to a science test. For lower grades, national comparability has been accomplished by using the performance levels of the National Association of Educational Progress (NAEP), which tests a sample of students in fourth and eighth grades. Tests in math and reading are generally taken by a sample of students every other year.
- Education leaders undoubtedly want our students to score well in national comparisons and are working toward that goal. Despite the expected drop in scores, the last math and reading NAEP scores from 2015 showed Oklahoma’s state average is at or near the regional and national averages in most categories.
If you have any questions once you receive your student's test reports, we will be happy to speak with you.
Central's 2017-2018 Teacher of the Year - Mrs. Kristin Campbell
Our 8th grade Tiger, Brenden Fry, shows us how it's done during 1/2 time at the Thunder game!!
Welcome back Officer Tant who is winning the war on brain cancer!
A Central Celebration
We will see you here on November 2 from 5-7 p.m. for a night of fun, food, and shopping!