Ms. Wertheim's Little Leaders
News and Resources from Room 203
January 25 through January 29
Hi Room 203 families,
I hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful winter wonderland and staying warm! I am looking forward to a full week of school with our little leaders.
Important Dates and Reminders: Mark your Calendars 📌
Mon., Jan. 25th - Wed., Jan. 27th: Open House Tours - volunteers sign up here!
Tue., Jan. 26th: Report cards go home
Tue., Feb. 2nd: PTO/Parent Meeting 6 pm at North Asheville Community Center. I will be there and as always, you are welcome to join me. ALL parents are invited. This is a wonderful opportunity to share your voice and hear about the exciting things going on in our school.
Thu., Feb. 18th: Family Voices/Community Outreach Night at the Montford Center
Fri., Feb. 19th: Early Release Day
Thu., Feb. 25th: Tea & Talk with the Superintendent for Claxton Families
Fri., Mar. 18th - 6 pm Light the NIght Auction at the Salvage Station, 468 Riverside Dr., Asheville - casual dress
Snapshots of Learning from last week ✏️
Using a variety of strategies to add and subtract
Keni publishing his writing on the Scribble my Story app
We love Scribble my Story. Kids type and then record themselves reading their book.
What we're learning about this week 📚
- Reading- We are using illustrations to understand characters' emotions and motivations.
- Writing- We are continuing opinion writing and will be using reasons and examples to support opinions.
- Math- We are continuing addition and subtraction within 100. Our addition and subtraction math strategy posters are located in the page protector in your child's homework folder. Feel free to email me with any clarifying questions. I am proud of their hard work with these new strategies!
- FUNdations- We are beginning Unit 9, which focuses on the r-controlled sounds er (her), ir (bird), and ur (burn). For more info, please read the letter attached to their Fundations homework or visit the Fundations page on my blog: http://mswertheim.blogspot.com/p/reading.html .
- Science- Students will begin learning about sound.
- Social Studies- We will begin learning about how different cultures impact communities.
Wish List 🌟
- Skinny dry erase markers
- Snack (healthy options please) Pre-packaged snacks such as fruit snacks or granola bars are so helpful to pass out snack quickly :)
Quote of the Week
Class Dojo, Behavior Assessments, and Homework 📓
Behavior assessments are filled out each day by your child. I am so proud of their self-reflection skills! They've done an excellent job with their self-assessments so far. Please be sure to discuss their achievements with them and sign the assessment each evening.
Homework this week consists of:
- Read each night for 20 minutes and fill out reading log/Bingo board
- Math packet (due Friday)
We will begin reading responses next week.