Rock Chapel Newsletter
5.03 - 07 Teacher Appreciation Week
5.03 - 07 MAP Assessment
5.05 - Cinco de Mayo
5.05 - 5.20 Benchmark Assessment
5.09 - Mother's Day
5.27 - Early Release Day/Post Planning Day
5.28 - Early Release Day/Last Day of School
Asian & Pacific Islander American Heritage Month
Older Americans Month
May News From Principal Green
Celebrate Rock Chapel Teachers!
The National PTA has designated the first week of May as Teacher Appreciation Week! What a wonderful way to show our admiration and gratitude to those that teach our children every day! This school year is more meaningful than ever given the challenges that students and teachers faced this year. It has not been easy. Through the pandemic, virtual learning, and hybrid learning, teachers have persevered. They have been our ROCK and they continue to remain strong through adversity for themselves and for the sake of others. To show them our appreciation for all that they do, we have rounded up some creative, safe, and contactless ways to celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week:
- Give your teacher an electronic gift card to his or her favorite restaurant or store.
- Send your teacher an electronic thank you card.
- Email your teacher a special email message all week.
- Send flowers or edible arrangements to the school for your child’s teacher.
If you want to show the Rock Chapel teachers and staff how much they are appreciated please click HERE then select Rock Chapel Elementary School Staff and click search for
the email address list.
During the month of May America celebrates Asian-Pacific Heritage Month. the annual month-long celebration recognizes the contributions and influence of Asian Americans and Pacific Islander Americans to the history, culture, and achievements of the United States. Below you will find suggestions that can help you and your children celebrate this incredibly special month.
- Read a children’s book by Asian authors or illustrators and featuring Asian characters. Click the links below for playlists of Asian – Pacific books read aloud. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0PE1OVfRIs0aZxsvywHAuVnxpFcSjkZjhttps://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3gBRxwlIAz2ltp0PiLFvZ83hPYrJZ1s0https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgPTvJd-Uc4dya5fIDqDbFZdlHlKJQ77n
- Tour Virtual Art Galleries, like the Asian Art Museum and the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Asian Art.
- Take a virtual vacation to Asia or the Pacific Islands!
Below you will find a wonderful read-aloud that embodies this year's Asian/Pacific American theme "Celebrate Resilience, Uplift Voices".
The Most Beautiful Thing
Written by Kao Kalia Yang
Illustrated by Khoa Le
Drawn from author Kao Kalia Yang's childhood experiences as a Hmong refugee, this moving picture book portrays a family with a great deal of love and little money. Weaving together Kalia's story with that of her beloved grandmother, the book moves from the jungles of Laos to the family's early years in the United States.
Domino’s Pizza Fundraiser
We are excited to announce that we are having a Domino’s Pizza Fundraiser. The money raised will go toward classroom support, programs, and incentives for the students. We are selling the Domino’s Pizza cards. When a customer purchases a card online, it will be sent directly to them.
- The card only costs $10! Use it just once and it more than pays for itself!
- Every time you buy a large pizza at the menu price, you get a large pizza FREE!
- Great for parties! Get double the large pizzas no matter how many you order!
- UNLIMITED uses through 12/31/2021.
For more information and to make a purchase please visit our online store www.stp.cards/35666. Call the hotline number: 866-252-6103 if you have questions.
2021 MOSAIC Summer Learning Programs
In preparation to meet the needs of students this summer, the 2021 MOSAIC Summer Learning Programs link is open for families to register through DCSD's website. Parents, you can access the list of summer programs via the school district's website by clicking on the Summer School link below.
Five great reasons your child should participate in the school nutrition program!