Counseling Department Update
April & May 2018
Teachers Appreciation Week
We encourage parents and students to take a moment and thank a teacher this week. There will be an "appreciation station" set up so that students can write notes to teachers.
Countdown to Summer
Minute to Win It
Students in a lunch group participate minute-long games.
This is the final update...
April had several weeks of testing and Spring Break while May has so many activities happening for our students.
- During testing, the counselors served breakfast everyday thanks to a grant. Breakfast will continue to be served everyday for the rest of the semester.
- After attending a self-care session, Ms. Jacobsen presented to GCMS staff on ways they can take care of themselves as we're finishing the last lap of the school year.
- The Red Ribbon pledge hand prints were completed. Each year, all 6th graders make a pledge to be drug free by putting their hand print on the wall in the hallway that leads to art and other specials classes.
- Both counselors completed 2 days of training focused on helping students that struggle with motivation.
- May 7th all students will participate in Signs of Suicide training lead by Speak Up Reach Out. Providing tools to help youth identify the signs and symptoms of depression, suicide and self-injury in themselves and their peers.
- May 8th, 15th & 22nd students will attend Maturation and Sexual Health Presentations. Red Ribbon Project facilitates these discussions separated by grade level and gender.
- May 9th Army recruiters will visit and speak with kids during lunch about military careers. They will also run mini boot camps during recess.
- May 10th at 6pm at GCSM is 6th grade orientation for incoming 6th graders and their parents.
- 10th & 11th 8th graders will complete their four-year high school plans.
- 25th is the last day of Botvin for 7th grade students. Botvin is a life skills prevention program designed to help kids make better choices when faced with things violence, drug abuse, or alcohol.