September 7, 2021
Dear Adelante Selby Spanish Immersion families,
I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. We will be going over our expectations with parents for the school year this coming Thursday, September 9th during our virtual Back to School Night. I will be hosting a Zoom "Webinar" Passcode: adelante (along with Unidos PTO) from 6:30-7:00pm. You will then go to the Zoom or Google Meet for your child's classroom teacher or grade level from 7:00-8:00pm. A reminder to parents that Back to School Night is not a time for individual parent teacher conferences about specific needs for your child, but rather an overview of curricula, homework, rules and expectations for the year. If you have more specific questions about how to help your child, please email your teacher(s). TK-3rd grade parents please be on the look out for teachers to send out Back to School Night Meeting information on Class Dojo or via email. Please note that the 4th and 5th grade teams will present together at 7:00pm as a grade level:
4th grade Zoom link Meeting ID: 886 0967 4609Passcode: 144819
(Maestros Elanor, Jorge, Rita, and Yesenia)
5th grade Zoom link Meeting ID: 891 9317 3044
(Maestros Ignacio, Jeannette, Jose Manuel, and Lilian)
Drop Off/Pick Up Procedures
I appreciate everyone's patience during the Drop Off/Pick Up and following our procedures regarding COVID-19 and not coming into and congregating on campus. The Pick Up has improved dramatically with a large number of students now participating in After School Programs and many 4th and 5th graders using the Walking Pass. However, the Drop Off in the morning in front of the school continues to be problematic and unsafe. Atherton Police Officer Dimitri is recommending that parents make right turns only into the front parking lot off of Selby Lane as it is much safer and avoids the criss crossing of cars turning left going Eastbound(toward El Camino) along Selby Lane. Although this slows down the Drop Off, and makes the line longer coming Westbound on Selby Lane (from El Camino)it is much safer. Please try your best to follow this recommendation if you are driving for the Drop Off. Alternatively, you may park(not in our neighbor's driveways please!) and walk your child to one of the 4 gate entrances. A reminder that if you live closer to the Atherwood Gate(by the baseball diamond/field) that is a good and safe area for students to walk or bike onto the campus. I know everyone is in a hurry, but please be mindful of the pedestrians that are walking small children and strollers near the traffic especially outside of the school and along Selby Lane(where there is no designated sidewalk) and also in the front parking lot crosswalk.
A reminder during Drop Off or Pick Up:
- You are welcome to park outside of the school and walk up to the drop off or pick up gate
- TK-2nd grades Drop Off Pick Up Front Lot by Office
- 3-4th grades Drop Off/Pick Up Library Drive Through
- 5th gr. only Drop Off in the Himmel lot in the AM only; PM Pick Up Library Drive Through
- Remain in your car until you get to the yard duty/staff person where your child gets dropped off or picked up(DO NOT PARK AND GET OUT OF AND LEAVE YOUR CAR IN THE DRIVE THROUGH)
- If you have multiple children, drop off /pick up at the younger child's spot(have older child meet younger child at the younger child's drop off)
- Put a sign with your child's name and teacher's name in the windshield at Pick up time
COVID-19 Testing and What to do if your child is a "Close Contact" to a Positive Case:
As we had our first positive COVID-19 case on campus last Friday, it is important to review the Modified Quarantine protocols as per County Health Guidelines if your child is a "Close Contact" and where and how to get tested.
- If your child was wearing a mask during the "Close Contact" then your child may continue to attend school provided they are asymptomatic(no symptoms)and they test for COVID-19 twice weekly for 10 days from the date of the contact/exposure.
- To test in our School District: One time Registration and Consent for COVID-19 Antigen Testing with https://primary.health/ We will be able to test your child at our school site by appointment, or at Kennedy Middle School on Mondays from 3:00-5:00pm and Hoover School on Thursdays from 2:15-4:00pm.
- You may also visit these testing locations throughout the county to test for COVID-19.
- During the Modified Quarantine, close contacts may not participate in After School Programs(e.g., REACH, Siena Youth Center, YMCA) or after school extracurriculars (e.g., Dance or the Play), or sports.
Daily Wellness Check
The Wellness Check attests that your child does not have any COVID-19 symptoms and no fever. We will no longer be doing temperature checks of students at the Drop off as that is part of the Wellness Check done by parents. Parents have been doing a good job filling out the quarter page Wellness Check and turning it in to the Yard Duty every morning. We will be giving out more Wellness Check forms every few weeks. If you need more, please visit our office or print them from home(see the attachment below).
A reminder that the San Mateo County Office of Education made updates to the Pandemic Recovery Framework. Our School District has used the new information to update the pages (English and Spanish) on the district website that address how our students will learn safely in 2021-22. The information can be found here:
- Roadmap to Learning Safely During My New School Year
- Paso a Paso Para Aprender Seguros en el Nuevo Año Escolar
School Play/Musical(Disney's Frozen Kids) Sign Up Information:
Adelante-Selby families, the school Play/Musical(Disney's Frozen Kids) Registration is now open. Everyone will love this fanciful and heartwarming stage adaption of the celebrated animated film. We will continue our wonderful partnership with San Carlos Children's Theater for this production. Third through Fifth Graders will make up the Main Cast while Kindergarten through 2nd graders will participate in the Ensemble. See the attached document below which has more details. Please note registration closes on Sept. 8th.
Preguntas//Questions: Contact Maestra Rita Melton: email@example.com
Lost and Found
We already have an overflowing Lost and Found large wooden box by the office. Please stop by and claim any lost item: sweaters, sweatshirts, lunch boxes, and water bottles. Parents another reminder that it is very helpful to label/put your child's name on your child's lunch box, water bottle, and sweaters/jackets as students sometimes forget and leave them outside.
Our school office is now open and the office hours are 8:00-4:00pm. Entering the office, all visitors must:
- wear a mask
- have your temperature screened at the kiosk
- use hand disinfectant when entering the office also at the kiosk
2020-21 yearbooks have arrived! If you purchased one last Fall and have not received it yet, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to purchase a yearbook, they are available at: https://unidospto.membershiptoolkit.com/form/m/160384 .
A BIG SHOUT OUT and THANK YOU to Penny Cifuentes for her hard work publishing the yearbook!
Important September Dates
- 9/6 Labor Day--NO SCHOOL
- 9/7 Unidos PTO parent meeting, 7:00pm All are welcome!
- 9/9 Second Harvest Food Distribution, 3:30pm front lot--All WELCOME!
- 9/9 Back to School Night, 6:30-7:00pm with Director Warren/Unidos General Welcome Back passcode: adelante
- 7:00-8:00pm(Virtual Only: teachers will send out ZOOM/Google Meet links to parents)
- 9/13 English Language Advisory Meeting, 4:00pm
- 9/22 School Site Council Meeting, 3:00pm
- 9/23 Read Aloud Story Time via Zoom with Director Warren y Pati, 6:30-7:30pm: Meeting ID: 878 4805 8731 Passcode: StoryTime