What is fashion journalist?
- fashion writers
- fashion critics
- fashion reporters
- Fashion journalist are responsible for preparing articles, commentaries or critiques relating to developments in the fashion industry.
- They must must first gather information about the topic they wish to cover. This involves performing independent research, attending fashion shows, and arranging and conducting interviews with professionals in the fashion industry, such as designers, photographers, models and public relations representatives.
- Clothing, textiles and material culture
- Human Ecology
- Editors with a bachelor's degree in the field have an annual average salary of $51,500.
- According to Service Canada, the average salary level of Canadian workers in the Journalists occupational group is $56,481 per year
Because of the rise of online blogs, it has created threats in the fashion journalism industry
as of 2015 there has been a rise in writing jobs
Overall this industry is very competitive and allows a select few in at a time
Interests and skills required
Gathering and communicating information- you must have the skill of investigation, interviewing and writing skills. as well as the ability to use writing software
Thorough industry knowledge- they must educate themselves on current trends and designers, as well as the history of trends and designers
Networking skills- the ability to network is a very important aspect of being a fashion journalist
analytic ability- it's important for fashion journalist to have a critical mind and a creative thinker. they must be able to analyze information
- a lot of travel involved to cover all the fashion events happening all over the world.
- there is the opportunity to work with established members of the fashion industry including models, editors, designers etc.
- Another perk of being a fashion journalist is the fame
- Long irregular hours
- you are never able to leave your work at work- often times you are called in to cover a unexpected development
- at night
- on weekends
- public holidays
- Journalists work in offices, as well as television studios.They often travel to cover stories and interview people. They may spend long periods of time on the road if covering a particular event or an ongoing news story
- They often need to meet tight deadlines.
"How to Become a Fashion Journalist." Academic Invest: Career Guides & Jobs L Canada & US. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 May 2016.
"Fashion Journalist." Career Requirements, Job Details, Salary Prospects. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 May 2016.
"Career Centre." Journalist. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 May 2016.