FOURTH GRADE NEWS
February 4, 2016
What's Up in 4th Grade!
HEART HEALTH DAY is this Friday, February 5th! Nurse Pat would like our Skaggs Stars to wear red as a reminder to keep our hearts healthy!
Friendship Week is next week! Please see the link below for a list of the fun activities and dress-up days Mrs. Carrenza has planned for us.
Our Friendship Party is on Friday, February 12th from 12:30-1:30, and I know our PTA parents have planned some fun activities. We will be sending home a white bag for students to decorate and return to school by February 12th,
Multicultural Night is on Thursday, February 18th at 6:00 pm. Students are invited to create a display board with information about a country of their choice. Please see the link below for more information.
Plano ISD provides parent workshops around the district. Please see the link below for dates and times.
We will continue our theme of "Working Together" to accomplish goals. Students will learn that people can work together to create new, different sources of energy that do not harm our environment. In our main story, "The Power of Oil," we will focus on the reading skill of author's purpose, the reason an author writes a text. The spelling pattern for this week is words with /ü/, /ū/, /ύ/.
Science and Social Studies
Next week, students will know that Earth consists of useful resources and its surface is constantly changing. The student is expected to: examine properties of soils, including color and texture, capacity to retain water, and ability to support the growth of plants. The student uses scientific inquiry methods during laboratory and outdoor investigations. The student is expected to plan and implement descriptive investigations, including asking well-defined questions, making inferences, and selecting and using appropriate equipment or technology to answer his/her questions.
Science Test is on Monday, Feb 22nd
From the Teachers
- Please always send your child with a coat during cold weather. We go outside if the temperature is 40 degrees or above. Also remember to label all of your child's removeable clothing so we may find its owner easily.
- Reading Logs: Skaggs has a new reading program that we would love to encourage your children to participate in. With this reading program, your child will read at home and record the number of minutes that he or she has read each night. At the end of the week, your child can record the number of minutes read for the week on the following web site: http://tinyurl.com/SkaggsReadingLog
- We would like to encourage your child to bring their electronic devices. Electronic devices are being used in all subject areas every day, along with music and art.
- Be a star for our students and write a check to our PTA. See the information below regarding the Skaggs PTA Check Writing Campaign.
- A fourth grade website just for parents! You will find links, important information, and much more. https://sites.google.com/a/pisd.edu/fabulous-fourth-grade-friends/
2/5 Wear red for HEART HEALTH DAY
2/11 Progress Reports
2/12 Friendship Party
2/15 Student Holiday
2/18 Multicultural Night