The Sailor Signal
Cottage Lake Elementary - November 21, 2021
A Note from Principal Welch
It has been wonderful seeing so many families around Cottage Lake the past few days for conferences. I hope there have also been many of you logging on and joining your teacher for conferences remotely, as well. This time of connection is very important. If you don't have a conference scheduled yet, please do reach out to your classroom teacher as soon as you can. We'd like to connect with each of our student's families.
This coming week is a shorter week. We only have school Monday-Wednesday. Each of these days has a dismissal of 12:45 PM for conferences. We have No School on Thursday and Friday. If your family celebrates Thanksgiving in the US, I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you cherish the time away from school with friends and family.
With the extended weekend ahead, I will not send another newsletter to families until Sunday, December 5. I am personally looking forward to welcoming my daughter home later today from college and I will again have a full house. I will be taking time this week and weekend to spend time with my family and unplug a bit from work. Thank you for understanding.
I wish you all a great week ahead.
~ Jen Welch, Principal
•• School News ••
Dr. Reid is coming to Cottage Lake
- If you are attending in person, please be sure to sign in at the office and all attendees should be wearing masks.
- If you are attending online, use this link: https://nsd.zoom.us/j/86923397470.
Parent Teacher Conferences and Dismissal changes are coming!
- Monday, November 22 - Parent-Teacher Conferences - Dismissal @ 12:45 PM
- Tuesday, November 23 - Parent-Teacher Conferences - Dismissal @ 12:45 PM
- Wednesday, November 24 - Parent-Teacher Conferences - Dismissal @ 12:45 PM
Additional Calendar notes: we will have NO SCHOOL on Thursday, November 25 and Friday, November 26.
Upcoming Spirit Days
- Wednesday, November 24 - Apple Cup day (Show your WA spirit between the UW Huskies and WSU Cougars)
- Friday, December 3 - Sailor Spirit day (Show your CL spirit with any specific CL wear or anything Blue and Yellow)
More spirit days will be shared soon.
•• REPEAT SCHOOL NEWS ••
Colder Weather & Holidays are Approaching!
If you would like to be a part of the Helping Hands group by donating needed gifts or funds, please contact the school at 425-408-4200.
If your family is experiencing difficult times this season and you would benefit from help, please contact the school office and we may be able to help.
Some specific ways may be:
- Gift Assistance. If you would like to receive assistance with gifts for your children, there are community groups that would like to help. Please let the school office know by Monday, November 29th. Let us know the age and gender of your kids and some needs and interests they have.
Please contact Sarah McKinnon in the school office, firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-408-4200, if you have questions, would like to help, or would like some assistance.
Book Fair is coming in December!
Suzanne Sterling, our Librarian, has been working with Scholastic and is proud to share that we have a modified Book Fair coming to Cottage Lake in December. She has been working with some of her volunteers to help make this come off the page. Below are the details.
Dates: December 6-8
Times: After School:
- Monday 4:15-7:00 PM,
- Tuesday 4:15-7:00 PM, and
- Wednesday 2:40-7:00 PM for families.
- ** (Mrs. Sterling will be sending out a sign-up genius for times & have stand-by. That will be coming in a few weeks.)
Location: Outside the library under the overhang.
Theme: Bundle Up for Books
We will only be selling what comes in the cases as I cannot guarantee that other orders will come in a timely fashion.
COVID safety updates
Families can find the most up-to-date COVID health and safety information by clicking the links below.
- King County Quarantine and Isolation Guidance
- Families can access the 2021-2022 NSD COVID-19 Safety Protocols by clicking here.
- Families can access our NSD COVID-19 Data Dashboard by clicking here.
Health Check Question to review daily
Health Check Questions:
1. In the past 24 hours has the student experienced any of the following symptoms:
- Fever of 100.4 or above
- Shortness of Breath or Difficulty Breathing
- Loss of Taste or Smell
- Muscle Pain or Body Aches
- Sore Throat
- Congestion or Runny Nose
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Other signs of new illness that are unrelated to a preexisting condition (such as seasonal allergies)
2. Has the student had any of the symptoms of COVID-19 listed above within the past 3 days that lasted more than 24 hours?
3. Has the student been in close contact with anyone with confirmed COVID-19 within the last 14 days? Close contact means being within 6 feet (2 meters) of an infected person for 15 minutes or more.
4. Has the student had a positive COVID-19 test for active virus in the past 10 days?
5. Within the past 14 days, has a public health or medical professional told the student to self-monitor, self-isolate, or self-quarantine because of concerns about COVID-19?
Child Sick or Change of Plans After School?
If you have a trip planned and are going to be gone during school days please fill out the request for excused absence form at this link Cottage Lake Pre-Approved Absence Form
•• PTA News ••
Giving November - Cereal & Oatmeal Food Donation Drive
Thank you for your participation in our Cereal & Oatmeal Food Donation Drive benefitting the Woodinville Storehouse Food Bank! We will continue to collect donations through Wednesday, November 24th. Bins are located on campus.
Save the Date - Paint & Parkas
December 8th, 4:00-7:00 PM
We’re excited to bring back the December paint party! Bundle up for a fun evening of painting (pottery must be pre-ordered and table reservations required), complimentary crafts & warm refreshments in the breezeway. More info and registration opens next week.
Next PTA Meeting
Our next PTA meeting will be Tuesday, January 11 @ 7:00 PM. At this meeting, we will have special guests from the district's Capital Projects team presenting to our community regarding the upcoming Northshore Invests: Bond and Levies election held on February 8, 2022. We hope to see many, many parents and guardians.
•• DISTRICT NEWS ••
•• REPEAT of DISTRICT NEWS ••
School Board approves three funding measures
During the Oct. 11 meeting, the Northshore School Board voted to place three funding measures on the February 8, 2022 ballot.
These three measures continue our work to build better together: modernizing schools, sustaining technology, and increasing opportunities.
- The Educational Programs and Operations Levy (EP&O) and the Technology Levy are not new taxes, but renewals of funding measures that are set to expire this year. These two levies would continue to provide funding for critical staffing and programming that support all Northshore students.
- The Capital Projects Bond would replace an expiring bond and help us address our highest facility needs.
This fall and winter, we will be sharing more information about the proposed projects and how they support our students and District.
CLICK HERE to learn more about the measures.
Lunch menu changes
If you are printing out the menu at the beginning of the month, there will inevitably be changes before the month is over.
Although our department strives to make changes at least 7 days ahead, there are weeks when we must make a change with 2-3 days' notice due to delivery shortages, today we have had to make a change to Friday's menu.
For up-to-date menu information please review our menu online (see the link below).
Free and Reduced lunch application
Remember: families must reapply every year!
You can also visit the Northshore Free and Reduced Priced meals website here: https://www.nsd.org/schools/get-started/food-services/free-and-reduced-price-breakfast-lunch
Cottage Lake Elementary
At Cottage Lake Elementary, it is our united mission to build a safe, engaging, and inclusive environment of resilient lifelong learners. In partnership with our vibrant community, we embrace our diversity and strive to foster trust and kindness.