Volume 9 - April 2020
Mark Your Calendars
1 - 6th Grade STEAM 9:00-2:00
2 - Care Van in Cafeteria - 4:30-7:30
3 - 2nd Grade Field Trip to The Dallas Arboretum
4 - Required 5th Grade Band Instrument Placement Day - Ereckson MS Cafeteria
- Required for all 5th grade students choosing Band for the 2020-21 school year.
- 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00-3:45 p.m. (“Come & Go” blocks of time assigned by last name)
7 - STAAR: Math 5th and Writing 4th
8 - STAAR Reading: 5
9 - STAAR Make-up
10 - Holiday
16 - PTA Board Meeting (5:00) and PTA General Meeting (5:30)
17 - 1st Grade STEAM 9:00-11:00
20 - Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast - 8:30-10:00 - Community Room
21 - 6th Grade Spring Band Concert at Ereckson MS - 6:45-8:00 pm
23 - School Bus Driver Appreciation Day
28 - 6th Band Festival - 8:30 - 2:45 - Lowery and Dave & Buster's
28 - 4th Grade Field Trip to the Perot Museum
Care Van - Free Vaccines
Boyd Elementary School
800 Jupiter Drive Allen, Tx 75002
Thursday, April 2, 2020
STAAR Testing Information
Dear BOYD Families,
Over the next two months, our Boyd students in grades 3-6 will be taking the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) assessments. Please remember that we will not have visitors on campus during STAAR testing days.
The STAAR testing schedule is as follows:
Tuesday, April 7………..…Grade 4 Writing and Grade 5 Math
Wednesday, April 8…….Grade 5 Reading
Thursday, April 9………..STAAR make-up testing
Monday, May 12………..… Grades 3, 4 and 6 Math
Tuesday, May 13………..…Grades 3, 4 and 6 Reading
Wednesday, May 14…...…Grade 5 Science
Thursday, May 15………….STAAR make-up testing
We would like to request your assistance on these days:
Please schedule all appointments after school. If a child leaves school during testing, the test becomes invalid and no score is given.
Remind students that all electronic devices will be collected during testing. If possible, keep these devices at home on testing days. (i.e. cell phones, smart watches, iPads, Kindles, Nooks, etc.) AISD policy states all students are prohibited from using electronics during testing. If the device is turned on, it is considered in use and the test score may be invalid.
Provide an early bedtime each night before testing and a protein packed breakfast.
Help us have your child in their seat ready for the day by 7:50 a.m. each morning.
Encourage your child to carefully read and prove their answers by applying all instructional methods they have learned.
Wish your child a happy day!
Texas law states that teachers and students may not discuss any aspect of the STAAR while testing is in progress nor after the testing is complete. Therefore, in order to ensure test security and integrity, please remember that volunteers and visitors will NOT be allowed on campus during district simulation and state testing days. This includes lunch visitors, copy parents and all other volunteers in all grade levels (K-6).
We appreciate your cooperation as we give BOYD students a chance to put forth their best efforts and shine on these testing days.
BOYD PARENTS WE NEED YOU!
The following PTA positions will be open for the 2020-2021.
Please email Trina Harmeson your interest in any of the following positions by sending the following information to email@example.com .
Phone Number _______________________________________________________________
Is texting okay? YES OR NO
When is the best time to contact you regarding your position? __________________
Position you are interested in: _________________________________________________
BOYD PTA POSITIONS
- PRESIDENT – Presides at both PTA Board meetings and General PTA school meetings (a minimum of four meetings per year) plus attends four District meetings per year, and oversees all functions of the PTA.
- 1ST VICE PRESIDENT, PROGRAMS & ENVIRONMENT – Plans programs for General PTA meetings; assists the President, presides in absence of the President. (Thanksgiving Feast, End of Year event, Spring family night). Works with Staff Appreciation Chair to Plan ways to recognize faculty throughout the year, coordinates Teacher Appreciation Week
- 2ND VICE PRESIDENT, WAYS & MEANS (FUNDRAISING) – Responsible for as many fundraising projects as needed to meet the PTA Budget for the year, and any other moneymaking projects PTA decides to hold. (Spirit Wear, Book Fair, and Box Tops, School Supplies)
- 3RD VICE PRESIDENT, MEMBERSHIP – Responsible for membership and volunteer recruitment and record keeping. Organizes copy room volunteers, room parents, library help, and any other volunteers needed for the school and PTA functions
- SECRETARY – Records business at all Board and General PTA meetings, must have basic typing & computer knowledge, responsible for correspondence reminding Board members of meeting dates and distributing minutes.
- TREASURER – Works along with President on all financial matters for the PTA, must have basic bookkeeping abilities and computer knowledge, understanding of tax matters is a bonus.
- COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVE – Attends all Allen ISD Council of PTAs general meetings, shares happenings at Boyd and reports back to Boyd PTA Board with city-wide information.
- PARLIAMENTARIAN – Must have knowledge of parliamentary procedure, advises the President of any changes needed in by-laws, etc.
- LEGISLATIVE – Informs PTA and school parents of any legislative actions affecting the Allen ISD and PTA.
- REFLECTIONS/ARTS IN EDUCATION – Organizes Boyd’s Reflections competition (a national creative contest sponsored by PTA). Works with the school for all cultural programs coming into the school for assemblies.
- ENVIRONMENTAL – Responsible for any environmental issues affecting the school, city state or nation; organizes Environmental Poster Contest for the school in the spring.
- STAFF APPRECIATION – Plans ways to recognize faculty throughout the year, coordinates Teacher Appreciation Week
- PUBLICITY – Works with PTA, school Principal and teachers to promote and advertise all PTA functions and events; must have typing and computer knowledge in order to write articles. This also includes Twitter and Facebook accounts.
- BOOK FAIR COORDINATOR- Plans and organizes the book fair. Is the contact for Scholastic to make decisions. Book fair happens in fall and spring. Can also coordinate one at the end of school.
- EAGLE RUN COORDINATOR- Coordinate with the school to promote the Allen Eagle Run event, attend meetings held by the council for this event.
From the Nurse
In order to comply with entry requirements for 7th Grade, your student will be required to have the following immunizations:
- Tdap (diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis)
Turn in proof of immunization as soon as possible. If requirements are completed between now and the end of school (May 2020), then a copy can be turned into the to the Boyd Elementary office.
Allen ISD’s Early Release Day - March 8
Allen ISD’s Early Release Days
The following dates will be early release days for our Elementary campuses.
School will be dismissed at 12:00 p.m.
Please plan to pick up your student by 12:00 on these days.
Please communicate with the teacher if there is a change to the pick-up arrangement.
We will have a lunch time on that day for students at school.
Breakfast and Lunch Information
Kinder - 10:45-11:15
1st - 11:20-11:50
2nd - 12:40-1:10
3rd - 11:00-11:30
4th - 11:35-12:05
5th - 12:15-12:45
6th - 12:50-1:20
If coming to eat with your child, please bring your ID to enter the building. You will only be allowed to eat with your own child (no friends).
Adults & Guests & Siblings: $2.20
Reduced price $0.30 or Free for qualifying students
Adults & Guests & Siblings: $3.85
Reduced price $0.40 or Free for qualifying students
(Application must be completed each year)
Alton Boyd Elementary School
800 S Jupiter
Principal: Judith Coffman
Asst. Principal: Lara Mercer
Asst. Principal: Wendy Williams
Secretary: Elaine Gamboa
Registration: Terri Rosales
Receptionist: Gabby Villegas
Nurse: Terry Phillips
Counselor: Patricia Chavez
CARE: Marison Puterbaugh
Campus Intervention Specialist (CIS): Yessica Schessler
Boyd PTA President: Trina Harmeson