The Weekly Howl
St. Francis Catholic School - Saturday, January 25th
Dear SFCS Parents & Friends,
The theme of our celebration is “Catholic Schools: Learn. Serve. Lead. Succeed.” The theme encompasses the core products and values that can be found in Catholic schools across the country. Not only are we teaching students to become future servant leaders, faith-filled disciples and enriched citizens in our communities, educators are growing with them. In Catholic schools, we are all learners, servants and leaders. These shared qualities are what make Catholic schools work. They are what make Catholic schools succeed.
The theme also focuses on key elements of Catholic education: faith development, academic excellence and dedication to service. These elements set Catholic schools apart from other educational options. They are why families make sacrifices to provide their children with a Catholic education.
I am grateful every day for the teachers, staff, board members, parents and volunteers who make our school a success. National Catholic Schools Week is a good time for all of us to thank them for their dedication and service.
Sincerely in Christ,
Week of 1/26 - 2/1/2020
- 8:45am: Students Meet in Family Center for Procession
- 9:00am: Catholic Schools Week Mass
- 10:00 - 11:00am: Coffee and Donuts in Family Center
- 10:00 - 11:00am: Book Fair in Library
- 11:00am - 3:00pm: John Paul the II Catholic School Open House
- Pajama Day: Students will show their support for the babies and moms who are helped by the Pregnancy Resource Center. Bring in diapers, wipes, socks, onesies, pacifiers, bibs, etc., and wear your pajamas to school!
- 10:00am: School Rosary in Gymnasium
- 3:00 - 4:00pm: Yearbook Club
- 3:15pm: Jr. Girls Basketball Practice
- 4:00pm: Sr. Girls Basketball Game vs. HHP @ HHP
- 4:30pm: Jr. Boys Basketball Practice
- 5:00pm: Sr. Boys Basketball Game vs. HHP @ HHP
Tuesday, January 28th
St. Thomas Aquinas
Kidz in Lidz: SFCS is joining all Catholic schools in the Diocese of Charleston in supporting this worthy cause! Students can bring at least a dollar to school to wear their favorite hat throughout the school day. All funds raised go to Children’s Cancer Partners of the Carolinas to help ensure Carolina children can access the lifesaving cancer treatments they desperately need.
- 6:30pm: Sr. Boys Basketball Practice
- 3:00pm: Bake Club Group A
- 4:00pm: Jr. Girls Basketball Game vs. HHP (Home)
- 5:00pm: Jr. Boys #1 Basketball Game vs. HHP (Home)
- 6:00pm: Jr. Girls #2 Basketball Game vs. HHP (Home)
- 6:00 - 7:30pm: Confirmation 2 - Youth Group (Multipurpose Facility)
Wednesday, January 29th
- 100th Day of School
- 6:30am: Sr. Boys Basketball Practice
- 7:30-9:00am: SFCS Book Fair – “Donuts in the Jungle with Dads” – There will be plenty of Donuts and Coffee this year so don’t miss out!
- 10:00am: School Mass
- 3:00pm: SAC Technology Committee Meeting
- 4:00pm: Jr. Girls Basketball Game vs. SPMS at Home
- 5:00pm: Jr. Boys #2 Basketball Game vs. SPMS at Home
- 6:00 - 8:00pm: Youth Group - 6th Grade & Confirmation 1 (Multipurpose Facility)
Thursday, January 30th
- Patriotic Day: To show our support for our military, students may wear camouflage or red white and blue. Donations will be collected for the Operation Morale Support charity. Items needed are toiletries and hygiene products, assorted treats, Sudoku or Crossword books, K-cups, Powder drink singles, packs of crackers and cookies, snacks, candies, pistachios, protein bars, single packages of tuna creations, socks, underwear, undershirts, lens wipes, lip balm, foot powder, beef jerky, gloves/hand warmers, bath towels, twin size fleece blankets… Also any monetary donation would be welcome as well.
- 2:00pm: SAC Development Committee Meeting
- 2:00-4:00pm: Book Fair open to parents and students
- 3:00pm: Cheer Practice and Game
- 4:15pm: Jr. Girls Basketball Game vs. Cross at Home
- 5:15pm: Jr. Boys #1 Basketball Game vs. Cross at Home
- 6:15pm: Sr. Boys Basketball Game vs. Rec at Home
Friday, January 31st
- St. John Bosco
- Good Samaritan Day/Feed the Poor Day: Students may wear St. Francis spirit wear to school and bring in items to support the Blessing Bags Project! Items needed are, socks, Band-Aids, individual packs of wipes, Cliff bars or similar, individual apple sauces, peanut butter crackers, and bottled water.
- 11:00am - 1:00pm: Bounce Houses for Recess (Front Loop)
- 1:00 - 3:30pm: Book Fair open to parents and students before and after the assembly.
- 1:45pm: CSW Assembly
- 3:15pm: Jr. Girls Basketball Practice
- 4:30pm: Jr. Boys Basketball Practice
Saturday, February 1st
2/5 - 3:15pm: Faculty Meeting
2/8: DOC SAC Conference, Columbia, SC
2/10: School Closed - Diocesan Teacher Workshop
2/12: 1st Reconciliation for 2nd Grade
2/13: 8:00am FSA Board Meeting
2/15: 5:00 - 7:00pm, Family Faith Night - Game Night (School Cafeteria)
2/16: 9:00am School Family Mass
2/21 - 2/23: DOCYBT, Summerville, SC
2/25: 5:30pm: Soup for Scholarship in Family Center
Pre - Kindergarten
6th & 7th Grade Religion
6th and 7th grade religion classes had the opportunity to hear Father Ron’s faith journey. What an interesting story and inspiration to everyone!
SFCS Wolves at the KOF Spaghetti Dinner
Last Call for Hoodie Orders!!!
The deadline to order Hoodie sweatshirts is Monday, January 27th.
WOSF Soup for Scholarships
Mark your calendars - “Soup for Scholarships” night will be on February 25, from 5:30-7:00 pm. This fun night features soups made by the Women of St. Francis, along with a few “surprise” chefs, and our own Baking Club. For just $10 you will be treated to mouth-watering soups/chili, cornbread/rolls, and also be able to take home a colorful hand painted soup bowl of your own.
Tickets will be on sale after Masses on Feb. 15/16 and 22/23. Our fabulous “Soups, Salads, & Breads” Cookbook will also be on sale then, and at Soup night for only $10.
Proceeds from this event provides scholarships to students at St. Francis Catholic School. For any questions please call Mary E. Sullivan 843-715-0075.
Scholarship Opportunity for the 2020 - 2021 School Year
February Extended Care
St. Francis by the Sea Catholic Church News
JPII Open House this Sunday
This Sunday, January 26, John Paul II Catholic School will hold its annual Open House for prospective students. If you are currently considering JPII for next year, or are just curious about what we offer, this will be a can’t miss event. We will be rolling out a new pre-AP Program, additional AP classes, and new Project Lead the Way offerings. We will also share our vision for the future as well as the immediate plan to open a new maker space classroom next year.
The schedule is as follows;
- 12:00 Refreshments in the Dining Commons
- 12:15 Welcome from the Principal
- 12:30 Student to Student Tours and Parent Presentation
- 12:50 Parent to Parent Tours
- 1:00 Academic and Activity Fair in the Athletic Center
Please consider joining us for Mass at 11:00am in the Athletic Center. Our chaplain, Fr. Bruce Barnett, will be celebrating the mass. Enrollment will open at 3:00pm on Sunday and conclude on March 15th. Anyone enrolling after March 15th will be placed on a waiting list and admitted if space becomes available. Looking forward to meeting you this Sunday.
- Saturday, January 18th - (Catholic Schools Week Info, Re-Registration Info, Spaghetti Dinner and Rally for Life Info, Geography Bee, CSW Schedule, Book Fair Schedule, Kidz in Lidz, WOSF Scholarship, FSA Jan Newsletter, Gala Sponsorship Info, Family Faith Night, Community Service, SAC Revenue Info)
- Saturday, January 11th - (Schedule highlights, Book Fair Announcement, Gala Information, KOC Spaghetti Dinner, JPIICS Open House)
- Saturday, January 4th - (Advent Pictures, DOCYBT Info, Extended Care Info, Raptor Info, Brain Balance Info, FSA Golf Tournament & Casino Night Info, KOC Spaghetti Dinner, JPII Open House)
- Friday, December 13th - (Reindeer Run, Christmas Festival and Advent Concert Info, Lost and Found, Advent Info, Breakfast with Santa Schedule, Golf Tournament and Casino Night Info)