March 26, 2021
Eagle Academy encourages academic excellence by integrating proven instructional methods with a challenging curriculum and high expectations.This combination provides every child with the foundation needed to achieve proficiency of Eagle Academy’s performance standards at each instructional level.
Previous editions of the Eagle Express can be found on the Newsletter page on our school website
- Mar. 29 - Apr. 30 - PEAKS Statewide Assessment Window (Grades 3-6)
- Apr. 7 (Wednesday) - Kindergarten & 6th Grade cap & gown photos
More information about these events appear further down in the newsletter. You can also visit the News & Events section of our website homepage. (https://www.asdk12.org/eagleacademycharter)
Each spring, Alaskan students are provided an opportunity to show what they know. Eagle Academy is proud of our tradition of excellence and we look forward to this annual opportunity for our students to put their best foot forward and show what they know.
The Performance Evaluation for Alaska’s Schools (PEAKS) is Alaska’s summative assessment administered to students in Grades 3-6 (English language arts and mathematics) and grade 5 (science) each spring.
The purpose of a large-scale, summative assessment is to provide parents and schools an overall picture of a student’s progress in meeting the Alaska standards at his/her grade level. The assessment is taken on the computer and is not timed, but each content area takes approximately 100-180 minutes.
Resources for the PEAKS assessment, including directions for PEAKS Practice tests, called Online Tools Training and PEAKS Tutorials can be located on the ASD website at www.asdk12.org/PEAKS.
Parents can also help by ensuring their children are well rested, eat a nutritious breakfast, and are at school on time for the days of testing. Please avoid scheduling appointments on your child’s testing days.
The ASD PEAKS testing window below allows for school assessment scheduling flexibility. Students! Get ready to show what you know during our school’s PEAKS testing dates: Monday, March 29 - Friday, April 30th.
Classroom teachers should be sending out information in their newsletters.
WE'RE GETTING THERE
As I mentioned in the robo-call earlier this week. It typically takes two weeks for us to work out the kinks and settle into a nice routine.
A few things to think about:
1) Please use the first entrance behind the building, it helps with the flow of traffic for parents trying to exit the parking lot.
2) If you arrive early, please pull into a parking stall and wait until 2:30 to start lining up.
3) If you arrive between 2:30 and 2:35, please allow parents parked in stalls back into the pick up line.
4) Please have your student's name placard clearly visible on your passenger window. It helps the staff know which student(s) you are picking up and that expedites the process.
5) If you are parking and picking up your student(s) please stay in the parent pick up area. Do not venture into the student area to get your student. We are still trying maintain a bubble between students and adults.
6) For safety reasons, please refrain from cell phone use while in the pick up line.
CALLING ALL READERS
Just a reminder about the Iditaread in case the original email got lost over spring break :) Below is the link for the google form to log minutes read. You can also find the google form on the Iditaread event on the PTO Facebook page.
- Who: All students (and staff) of Eagle Academy!
- What: Race to the Finish on a Reading Challenge - The Iditaread is a reading race that follows the Iditarod Trail. Log the hours read to each checkpoint, which will line up with trail checkpoints posted in the school hallways. During each week, as minutes are logged, a dog with your student's name will be moved to the checkpoints along the hallway.
- Where: Anywhere you can read!
- When: Logging minutes starts Friday, March 5th, and goes through Wednesday, March 31st
- Why: To encourage ALL students to read and develop a love of reading! For extra incentive, there are small prizes at a few checkpoints, and prizes for each finisher. Every finisher will also be entered into a drawing to win a Fly Trampoline gift card.
- How: Track the minutes your child reads and the minutes you read to your child. Each minute read is equal to one mile on the Iditarod Trail - a total of 852 this year. When the amount of minutes read reaches a main checkpoint, you can fill out the google form (link below) to submit their minutes. The form can be submitted multiple times for each checkpoint.
Please see the attached flyer for more details! Also attached is a list of checkpoints and corresponding minutes, as well as a map of this year's Iditarod trail to follow along. Below is the link for the google form to log minutes:
If you have any questions, please contact Vanessa Hall at email@example.com
Date for Kindergarten & 6th Gr. Cap & Gown Photos (APRIL 7th)
EACS has several students whose artwork will be showcased
The Fine Arts Department will be hosting Youth Art Month Drive-In events throughout the month of March to celebrate and showcase students' artwork.
The drive-in events will begin around sunset. The slideshow is approximately 1.5 hours. The slideshow will start with elementary, alphabetically by school with secondary following. The following rules are in place during the event:
- Please remain in your car throughout the slideshow
- Masks are required by all participants in the car if windows are open
- There are no bathrooms at the event, please plan accordingly
- Please follow guidance from the traffic directors
Thank you in all your support and enthusiasm for the visual arts. We hope to see you at one of our drive-in events.
We are looking for two individuals to work with students to boost ELA & Math skills.
1. Work one-on-one with students who need extra support on specific, targeted skills in the Kindergarten through 4th grade classrooms
2. Follow a routine schedule that updated bi-monthly
3. Spalding and Saxon experience desired
4. Hours: Monday - Friday| 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
If you are interested please contact Missy Timberlake: firstname.lastname@example.org or the School Office at 742-3025 for more information.
The yearbook is finished! It was submitted yesterday and I'm pretty happy with how it has turned out. Thanks to all of you that submitted photos and for completing the surveys. Without all of that, it would have been a sad looking yearbook indeed!
Just a reminder about ordering : Deadline to order a yearbook will be April 2- but don't wait until the last minute in case it moves up! (Last day to order online is based on 5 weeks before yearbook ship date.)
Follow this link: ybpay.lifetouch.com/ and use the school code: 7915321 to order.
We will order some extra, but they will be first come, first served. The cost is $16. There were additional add ons that could be bought, but that is now no longer an option due to the order already being placed. I'm sorry if you missed out on those (see the above note about waiting until the last minute). You can still purchase the yearbooks though! So make sure to do that if you want to be assured you get one.
If you aren't sure if you ordered one, let me know and I can find out.
Jennifer Bundy, 907-884-5008
School Pictures Heads Up
Your students should have brought home pictures this week.
If you haven't received them yet, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help. In the picture package, if you didn't preorder, you should get the proof sheet which will have your student's unique ID code to be able to go online and be able to order the pictures from there.
Class composite pictures are still in process and when they get here, we'll get them distributed to everyone that was here and got their picture taken back in February.
If you have any questions, please let me know!
Jennifer Bundy, 907-884-5008
NORTHERN LIGHTS COUPON BOOKS
EAGLE ACADEMY APB
Vanessa Hall - APB Chair: (907) 230-6365
Missy Timberlake - APB Teacher: (907) 301-8653
Mindy Edison - APB Teacher: (907) 223-7774
Jennifer Bundy - APB Parent Member: (907) 884-5008
Cheryl Raile - APB Parent Member: (858) 780-6225
Paige Saylor - APB Parent Member: (843) 437-5783
Casey Andrysiak - APB Community Member
Eagle Academy PTO
Tonya Prentiss - Chair: (719) 213-5678
Beth Sherwood - Co-Vice-Chair: (907) 362-3499
Vanessa Hall - Co-Treasurer: (907) 230-6365
Amie Mitchell - Co-Treasurer: (907) 830-1604
Haley Gagnon - Secretary: (907) 310-6690
Heather Milligan - Parent Rep: (774) 254-1238
Mindy Edison - Teacher Rep (907) 223-7774