May 2016 Newsletter
REFLECTIONS FROM YOUR PTSA
A LOOK BACK:
- The Father/Daughter dance in April was a great success. We sold out all tickets and our young ladies had a fun time with their special someone. Thank you to all our volunteers who made this night so wonderful!
- We would like to announce our newly elected 2016-2017 PTSA officers. Congratulations to: President- Julie Henry, Treasurer- Leslie Mast, Secretary- Jill Ehrlinger
- Please do not forget to vote on the District Budget on May 17th. 4 propositions and 1 Board of Education seat (2 running) are also up for a vote.
- A Book Swap will be available May 20th at the PES. This is a great opportunity to trade in some used books for some new summer reading. Details and volunteer opportunities listed below.
- If you're looking to join or renew a membership to BJ's Wholesale Club, you can get a highly discounted membership through the PTSA. See below for details.
- We have several volunteer opportunities available (see below) and are always welcoming new members!
We are in need of volunteers for various, ongoing services we provide to the schools.
- Laminating Projects- you make your own hours at the school. Training will be provided!
- In search of a UPK-1st grade building representative. Duties include updating the bulletin board, being the liaison between the PTSA and the UPK-1st grade office and coordinating volunteers for UPK/Kindergarten screening.
- Volunteers needed for Kindergarten Screening being held next week. Spend some time with some really cute 4-5 year olds. Details and schedule available here.
There are many other ways to help, and new ideas and faces are always welcome! Send an email to canandaiguaPTSA@gmail.com if you are interested in hearing more.
Event Chair needed!
Running an event is a fun way to get involved and bring your ideas to life! It's even more fun with a friend. The following event is in need of help:
- Mother/Son night chairperson: Traditionally held in the fall, but set the date when it works for you! This is a great event that brings in many families to spend quality time together, as well as raising funds for PTSA. Use our past "minute to win it" and craft format entirely, as a jumping off point, or add your own spin to things.
Please email CanandaiguaPTSA@gmail.com if you are interested in the position or for more information.
BJ's Membership Fundraiser
Flyers with complete details and enrollment form available here. The membership drive will be from now through May 24th.
Sunday, May 15th, 8-11am
3140 County Road 10
Friday, May 20th, 8:30am-6:30pm
90 West Gibson Street
The book swap library will be located in the Primary small gym.This is a perfect opportunity to trade in your children's used books for some new reading material. Help to keep reading exciting over the summer vacation!
We appreciate all book donations, but are in special need of chapter books for the older students. Click here for volunteer opportunities.
Raffles for a Summer Fun Basket will also be available for only $0.50 each and all proceeds help support the PTSA.
Excuse Pad Order Form
Print your order form here and send to school with payment. Thank you for supporting the PTSA.
Community Reading Partnership
Help spread literacy in our community! A Volunteer Bookshelf Supervisor is needed by the Community Reading Partnership to oversee “Guardian” volunteers who stock 15 to 20 active Little Red Bookshelves in the Canandaigua area with free books.
This person should be reasonably familiar with children’s books and able to oversee the processing of books donated at locations in Canandaigua schools. The Bookshelf Supervisor sits on the Community Reading Partnership Board which meets monthly at the library.
To express interest, contact CRP President Mary Ferris, c/o Wood Library, 134 North Main St. Canandaigua, NY 14424 or email CRP at email@example.com
Spring/Summer Swim Lessons
35 minute classes for 4 yrs and up, focusing on water adjustment, personal safety, survival skills, and swimming strokes. Classes are sponsored by the CA Swim Boosters and are held at the Academy pool.
Spring sessions: 5/2-5/12, 5/16-5/26
Summer sessions: 6/27-7/8, 7/11-7/21
Various skill levels, times available. Registration fee $40/session.
Full details and registration form available in the Canandaigua Summer Recreation Program book.
CenterPointe Junior Golf League
Learn to Sail
Next PTSA meeting
Monday, June 6th, 6:30pm
215 Granger Street
Attending a meeting is a great way to hear what's going on in our schools directly from administrators, PTSA officers and other community members. Please note: meetings are informal and you are welcome to bring your young children!
For more information on PTSA membership (annual dues are only $5!) and for volunteer opportunities, please see document below.
The Canandaigua Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA) believes in making every child's potential a reality by being the premier organization for parent involvement and advocacy. Canandaigua PTSA is a powerful voice for all children, a significant resource for families and communities, and a strong advocate for the education and well-being of every child.
The PTSA provides critical financial support for various school activities and resource or equipment needs. It strongly supports the community-wide Character Education, Health & Wellness, and Family Involvement initiatives of our school district.