May 16 - May 20
"Set Sail on a Voyage of Learning!"
District Instructional Team Meeting
Monday, May 16th at 3pm in the Library
Dr. Hinton and other members of the Instruction Team will be joining us to discuss state, district, and school initiatives in order to develop a personalized school plan/timeline for 2016-17. One main goal is for all D2 staff to feel confident in knowing that the district has a clear focus and positive vision for the future.
Our meeting is scheduled to last approximately an hour and will take the place of the May 17th meeting.
Welcome to the MES Family!!
We are thrilled to have Debbie's leadership, knowledge, creativity and vision joining us. WELCOME!!
* SLA Learning Paths - Place in folder outside Ms. Davis' office by Wednesday, May 18th.
* DO Instructional Team Faculty Meeting is Monday, May 16th at 3pm for all certified staff.
* Teaching Assistants - Plan to meet with Ms. Davis at 10:15am on Monday, May 16th (conference room) to discuss End of the Year matters.
* Awards Day for Staff Children - Please remember to email Ms. Davis if you need coverage for your classroom so that you may attend the Awards Day program for your own child
* Placement Cards – due Wednesday, May 25th
* Yearbook - We will distribute to students who preordered on Wednesday, May 18th. Any extra copies will sold to students on a 1st come – 1st serve basis
* Final Retention List – due to Ms. Davis (by email) Friday, May 20th. Retention Lists and conference forms will be turned in at checkout on May 31st
June 1st - Make-Up Hours
We have 7 hours left to make up from our days missed due to weather. The last official day for staff is Wednesday, June 1st
You will have the option of working late on the following days in May to trade-off the June 1st hours. (Please remember ... these are optional hours - not mandatory.)
- Tuesday, May 17th ... 3pm-5pm
- Thursday, May 19th ... 3pm-5pm
- Tuesday, May 24th ... 3pm-5pm
- Thursday, May 26th ... 3pm-5pm
If you choose to work extra hours to bank time for June 1st, you must 1) Sign and note the time you are leaving on the Time Out sheet on my office door EACH day that you work and 2) Swipe your badge upon leaving to document time.
Please be sure that all students are being carefully supervised when outside. Students find creative uses for playground equipment and often their choices are unwise. Continue to remind all students of appropriate play and usage of equipment.
We will conduct regular sweeps of the playground areas - looking for fire ants and wasp nests - now that spring has arrived. Please let the office know if you see anything of concern.
Canvas Summer Workshops
Jason Paddock is offering several one day workshops and time to work in Canvas for teachers over the summer. The courses descriptions and dates are below. Teachers may enroll on the District website. Click here to enroll.
Canvas Tuesday - (July 5th, 12th, 19th, or 26th)
8am- 5pm (hour break for lunch)
DO Training Center
8 hours recertification
This single day is designed for teachers still new to Canvas or just getting started. We will learn the four main components to Canvas: pages, assignments, quizzes, and discussions. Then we will begin conceptualizing how to build units and other possibilities based on these essential tools. Attendees are invited to join us the following Wednesday for Canvas Workshop day. Please make sure you can login to Canvas prior to the session. Contact Jason Paddock if you need assistance.
Canvas Workshop Day - (July 6th, 13th, 20th, or 27th)
8am- 5pm, attend as needed
DO Training Center
Come work independently or with your colleagues at the district training center. Jason Paddock and other staff members will be there to support you and answer questions. No presentations or lessons. Just time to work with help nearby.
Events for the Week
Monday, May 16th
- Textbook Inventory begins
- Library closed (no checkout) for inventory - Mrs. Hughey will continue to meet with classes during regularly scheduled activity times
- 5th grade GT students to Wonder Works (Pigeon Forge)
- SC-PASS make-up testing
- 3:00pm - Faculty meeting with Dr. Hinton
Tuesday, May 17th
- 1st grade Field Trip - Strawberry Hill
- 8:15am - 5th Grade to visit Chesnee Middle
- 3:00pm - Optional Make-up hours
Wednesday, May 18th
- 4th grade Field Trip - Cowpens Battlefield
- Last day to take personal days
- Baby Shower for Ms. Wells
Thursday, May 19th
- Field Day
- 3:00pm - Optional Make-up Hours
Friday, May 20th
- Spirit Day
- Last Day for GT classes
- 5:00am - 5th Grade Field Trip - Myrtle Beach
- May 23 - 4k Ice Cream Social (9:30am)
- May 23 - 5K Graduation (6pm)
- May 23 - Library Inventory begins
- May 24 - Field Day (rain date)
- May 24 - Optional Make-up Hours
- May 25 - End of Year Awards - 1st (8am) and 2nd (9am) grades
- May 25 - Morning Math Pizza Party celebration (1:15pm)
- May 26 - End of Year Awards - 3rd (8am) and 4th (9am) grades
- May 26 - Last day for 4K
- May 26 - Last Day for Related Arts classes
- May 26 - Optional Make-up Hours
- May 26 - CHS Graduation (7pm)
- May 27 - 1/2 Day for Students (11am dismissal)
- May 27 - End of the Year Awards - 5th (8am) grade
- May 27 - BSHS Graduation (7pm)
- May 30 - Memorial Day
- May 31 - Last Day for Students (11am dismissal)
- June 1 - Last Day for Staff
- June 1 - Report Cards mailed
Be sure that you are signed up to receive faculty and staff reminders! *** To receive text messages - text @79284 to 81010 or @79284 to 8644695639 *** To receive messages via email - send an email to email@example.com