Careers in the Trades #4
Our goal is to have you career ready too!
From the Office of Student Placement
Glassdoor, one of the world’s largest job and recruiting sites has updated their list of the 50 Best Jobs in America for 2019.
Looking to become a Personal Trainer?
The National Personal Training Institute is a 500-hour personal training diploma program, backed by the Department of Education, that offers 300 hours of classroom learning (anatomy, physiology, nutrition, business practices etc.) and 200 hours of hands-on experience in the gym. These students enter the workforce as a personal trainer with real-life experience from their instructors and classmates.
Due to the wide variety of work environments, personal trainers have a tremendous amount of choice in their careers post-graduation. From health clubs, sporting facilities, corporate gyms, schools, leisure and community centers, to nursing homes, hospitals, holiday resorts, cruise ships and beyond, the opportunities are nearly limitless. For many personal trainers, the option to become their own boss and run their own business is a clear reason for choosing a career in personal training due to its flexibility.
Michigan City Community Job Fair on April 18 at Blue Chip Casino.
WorkOne Northwest Indiana is considered a valuable one-stop for jobseekers and employers when it comes to career and employment resources.
The CAF is delighted to invest in the future of the construction industry by awarding scholarships to NWI students who are pursuing a career in construction management, engineering, or a related field within construction. $2,500 per year/4 yr max.
INDIANA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTION (Work for the state of Indiana)
INDIANA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTION
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Willingness to undergo a background investigation.
- Possession of a valid driver's license from state of residence.
- High School Diploma or GED (Proof of diploma or certificate must accompany application.)
- Drug Screening – Applicants must pass a drug screening test.
- Work experience, military experience and/or completed accredited college credits preferred.
- Annual Salary $31,200 (plus overtime)
- Employer paid benefits
- Full time position
- Opportunities for Leadership positions
- Paid time off
- Loan forgiveness programs
- Purpose of Position/Summary: Incumbent works in a correctional facility for adult offenders. She/He is responsible for following post orders, maintaining order, supervising and controlling offenders and their activities. Incumbent works on an assigned shift in a specific unit/ or post under general supervision of a correctional sergeant. Incumbent maintains the security of the unit as well as the safety of staff and offenders while ensuring daily activities and programs proceed on schedule.
***There is a full packet for this position. See Ms. Torres in room 1112 for a copy.
Apprenticeship in Boilermakers Local 374
Looking for a career in a diverse working area!? This would be a great place for you! They just moved to Hobart! They want you!
Applicants shall meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Age — All applicants shall be at least 18 years of age. Applicants are required to submit reliable proof of age.
- Education — Applicants shall be high school graduates or provide proof of equivalent education attainment, such as successful completion of GED.
- Drug Screening – Applicants must pass a drug screening test at an approved testing site.
- Loading & unloading materials
- Rigging materials for movement
- Directing crane operations
- Assisting in the building of the cranes boom sections
- Burning, gouging, and welding
- Removing and replacing tubes
- Interpreting blueprints
- Laying out components
- Erecting support steel beams for ductwork
WELDING QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants who have welding experience or training will have priority selection over those with no welding qualifications or training. Applicants must provide proof (qualifications, certifications, diplomas, etc.) of welding qualifications and or training.
- Requires high technical skill, physical strength and stamina
Boilermakers Local 374 accepts Apprenticeship Applications on an ongoing basis. Our distribution schedule is as follows:
Local 374, Zone 1
760 N. Union St. Hobart, IN. 46342
Applications are distributed on the:
Second Friday of January, April, July and October
from 10:00am to Noon (local time)
Use this link to find out more.
Careers with STRUCTURAL
(This is ideal for someone who wants to travel while making money after high school)
STRUCTURAL meets the needs of owners and managers of infrastructure, as well as designers and general contractors, by providing innovative and value-added solutions to the infrastructure challenges customers face in the marketplace, specifically in the Commercial, Public/Government, Industrial, Power, and Transportation markets. A career at STRUCTURAL is like no other. One opportunity you won’t find elsewhere is the chance to customize your own career path. At STRUCTURAL, we strive to help you achieve what matters most to you.
Benefits of having a career with Structural
- Looking for craft-level workers
- Experience is not needed but definitely a plus when considering hourly rates
- Full Time employment
- Health & Vision Insurance
- Perdium if traveling for job. Will pay for hotel stay as well.
- Pay: 0% experience up to $15/hr. With experience up to $25/hr
- Promotions are done from within (money opportunities are there)
- Leadership & training programs are provided
- Based in the Chicagoland area
- Must have a High School Diploma at the time of applying (No college required)
- Must have a resume
- Should have interview skills (Be sure to do a mock interview with a career professional in advance).
- Must be able to pass a drug test
- Be willing to work on a full time basis
- Ability to travel (they pay travel expenses)
As an equal opportunity employer, it is the policy of Structural Group to provide equal opportunity in employment to all employees and applicants. No person will be discriminated against on the basis of an individual's race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable law. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
The Indiana Plan's mission is to address and correct the problem of low minority participation in the union building trades. To do this, we offer comprehensive services for both the signatory contractors who work with us to find recruits, and also for the minority and women workers we help train and find jobs in the union construction industry in Indiana.
We Build NWI!
We Build Northwest Indiana was created as a resource for individuals interested in career opportunities within the construction and maintenance industry. Some career opportunities may require a college degree while most require a comprehensive training and education program known as apprenticeship. Successful applicants generally possess three common attributes:
- They have a strong work ethic
- They are responsible
- They are dedicated to being the best