Nelson 4th Grade News
Week of April 27th- May 1st
UPDATE- Field Day
Here are a few important things to make note of as you prepare your child for field day this Friday!
1. Please remember to dress your son/ daughter in comfortable clothes and shoes.
2. Be sure your child brings a water bottle! They will be able to refill them as they finish their water.
3. PTA will be selling a variety of items, from hot dogs to candies. Most items will be priced at $1.00. All students will have an opportunity to purchase snacks from the concession stands, so please send money with your child. They really look forward to buying a snack from the concession stand, so if you can send anything they really do enjoy it! :) In the past, I have found it very helpful if parents send money in a plastic Ziploc bag, labeled with their name, the day of field day. I normally put their name on the bag (if you didn't already) and carry them with me the entire day. That way, the kids can enjoy themselves and not worry about losing their money! :)
4. Don't forget sunscreen! If you could put sunscreen on your child before they arrive it would be greatly appreciated. Having said that, I do not mind helping them put more on throughout the day, so please send some for them to use!
5. If you are planning to attend, please make sure you have sent in the yellow form that was sent home last week so we can have your badge printed and ready for you to make signing in easier and faster!
6. Here is a note from out principal regarding siblings incase this pertains to you; We love our extended Gator families; however, for liability purposes, only Gideon students will be able to participate in field day games. Siblings may watch the games, but may not take part in them. Thank you for your cooperation!
7. On Friday, we will have lunch from 11:40-12:55. I am not sure yet if we will be eating outside or in the classroom as I haven't decided for sure. If we are super hot we may come in for a little air!
8. Regarding lunch; your child may either bring their lunch or buy lunch as normal. They can bring lunch from home, buy lunch from the concession stand (don't forget cash if your child would like to do this), or buy lunch from the cafeteria (which I believe is serving pizza). Hopefully this is plenty of fun options for the kiddos!
STAAR testing is over for this year, thank goodness! We are continuing to learn and have several fun and interesting lessons coming up!
Please sign up for my Remind to get text message or e-mail updates and reminders!
I will primarily be using this to send updates/reminders throughout the week. It is much easier than an e-mail as I can do it from my phone very quickly, anywhere, anytime!
What are we learning this week?
Language Arts: This week we are really focusing on science, and using some of our ELA time to do this. We are reading engaging passages, working on a research project together, and completing various other activities to learn about the following; weather patterns, the water cycle, and the sequence of the lunar phases. We are also continuing to fine tune our editing skills as we edit and revise paragraphs for grammatical errors.
Math: We will continue out unit on expenses and profits. We will dig deeper by comparing the advantages/disadvantages of various savings options, describing how to allocate a weekly allowance, and describing the basic purpose of financial institutions. Your welcome, haha! :) Later in the week, we will be learning about angles and their relationship to circles.
Science: We will continue as stated above from out ELA time.
Social Studies: We will begin to prepare for our Austin field trip by looking at vocabulary words that are associated with the trip as well as other important information.
Items to make note of...
*Note* Please make sure you have signed and returned the permission form allowing your child to attend the Austin field trip as well as the medical from the company we are traveling with. This is very important. :)
1. Your child DOES have homework this week, for your convenience I have attached a copy of this below.
2. As always, please remember to check and sign your child's folder nightly, along with their daily reading log. They should be reminding you (responsibility), but please make sure you are encouraging this as well. I want to point out that I had quite a few students not turn in their reading logs for the 5th 6 weeks. This is a grade, and students are reminded daily to keep track of this. I don't even take off for missing parent signatures, as I know this is often hard to get with busy schedules. Of course I prefer them, but I just want the kiddos reading. Please encourage this with your child and express that this should be a very easy 100% in the grade book! :)
3. Remember that Field Day is on Friday! :) If you would like to attend, please remember to fill out and return the yellow sheet that was sent home last week to make the process a little faster on Friday.