Holly Counseling Newsletter
Fall is in the Air!!
Broncho Virtual School
Meet your Holly High School Counselors!
Ms. Godman is a fully Licensed Professional Counselor and Nationally Certified Counselor, she has worked at virtually every level of education, from Middle School, to High School, Community College and University level Counseling. She is excited about working in the high school setting again, where the important work of preparing students for a bright future is in full swing. Education runs in the family. Her mom was both a teacher and counselor and both
her sons are teachers too!!! Educating students and guiding them towards new beginnings is
such an important calling. Ms. Godman is excited to get to know the students of Holly High
School and proud to be able to contribute towards their success!!!! Mrs Goodman sees students with the last names H-O
Mr. Hacker recently moved back to Michigan from Oklahoma. He has 14 years experience in high school education both in Oklahoma and here in his home state of Michigan. He spent nine years in the special education and regular classroom where he was certified to teach all core subject areas at the high school level. The remainder of his time in education has been spent as a high school counselor. He has worked in urban, suburban, and rural districts with widely varying needs and demographics. Mr. Hacker is excited to serve the welcoming Holly community and get to know parents and students better! Mr. Hacker sees students with last names P-Z
Mrs. Price joined Holly in January 2022 as the District Counseling Specialist. She has 16+ years of experience as both a high school counselor and a middle school counselor. She is a fully licensed counselor, and has also worked in private practice. Mrs. Price works with Holly's alternative students and also with elementary students as counseling needs arise. She is excited to be a part of several new initiatives at Holly Area Schools. She has been training staff on Crisis Intervention, and is on the district team for social emotional learning. In her free time, Mrs. Price enjoys traveling with her husband, reading books, and cuddling with her two dogs. She is the proud mother of her daughter who is pursuing her master's degree in Speech Language Pathology, and her son who works as Director of Photography in film and lives in Los Angeles California.
Holly High School Students
Class of 2023 Seniors. Important Info !
- Senior interviews with your counselors are taking place now!
- Make sure you have a strong senior year, this is not the time to slack!
- Attendance is so important. Studies show that student's grades drop drastically when they are not present at school each day!
- Attend the Junior/Senior Presentation
- Sign up for the Common App presentation scheduled 10/13/22 with your advisory teacher!
- Make sure you get your college applications in by the deadlines!
- Sign up for college visits! We have many schools willing to talk directly to you!
10/1/22 FAFSA OPENS
10/12/22 AP Exam Registration
10/20/22 Jostens Presentation
10/21/22 Senior Photos Due
10/27/22 Cap and Gown Orders
10/28/22 AP Exam fees due
10/24-28th College Week
10/26/22 College Fair and FAFSA WORKSHOP
Class of 2024 Juniors
11th Grade: College Planning Timeline
- Stay on track with your classes and grades. ...
- Take the SAT or ACT ...
- Evaluate your education options. ...
- Make a college list. ...
- Continue gathering college information. ...
- Organize a testing plan. ...
- Make sure you're meeting any special requirements. ...
- Stay involved with extracurricular activities.
- Learn more about financial aid
- Schedule campus visits
Class of 2025 Sophomores
Have you been involved in clubs, volunteering or work? Start keeping track of your experiences in a document or a journal for future resume/ brag sheet.
Use PSAT scores to help you reach your goals: Make sure you log into your College Board accounts to make sure that you review your scores and make plans for next year’s PSAT and SAT. You can start preparing for your tests next year by using Khan Academy’s individualized test prep.
CLASS of 2026 Freshman
You have just started your GPA. It is easy to keep it up if you start strong, but very difficult once you get a few failing grades.
Clubs are a great way to get involved and meet new people! Check out the list of clubs Holly High School has to offer.
Are you struggling in your classes?
*Note that some Tuesdays staff have meetings and department time* Check with your teacher
Holly Middle School Counseling
Mr. Mattingly has also been busy counseling his middle school students on class choices, friends, and many other middle school topics.
Both counselors have been getting to know their new 6th grade students by doing brief meetings called "One Minute Meeting"
Classroom circles have been happening for students to express concerns and build relationships.
Both Counselors coordinate Monday Mindfulness where students can de-stress the start of their week.
- Welcome to Middle School!
- Middle school is different from elementary school. Now you have 5 different teachers. It is important for you to stay focused, learn study skills and stay organized.
- Always give your best, because everything you do will affect you.
- It doesn't matter what other people think of you, just BE YOURSELF!
- Always get your homework done because it is always easier to keep up than it is to catch up!
- Be Kind.
- Start the school year strong! Get your homework done and keep your grades up.
- Be organized, and make sure that you have a homework binder organized by subject.
- Be Kind.
- Limit your social media!
- Always give our best, because everything you do does affect you.
- Join a club!
- Make friends.
- Use a separate notebook or binder for each subject. Having a separate notebook for each class helps you stay organized.
- Plan ahead for big assignments.
- Make a plan for studying.
- Don't be afraid to ask for help.
- Plan ahead for High School!
- Avoid drama and gossip so you can focus on having fun with friends.
- Make new friends without ditching your old ones.
- Be kind.