Room 114 Homeroom News
February 8, 2016
Ms. Kirkwood & Mrs. Piccirilli Homeroom Calendar & Events
We've received several notes about the kind acts parents have seen students do at home. Please send in a sentence or two that tells us about an act of kindness you've seen your child do after school or at home. We will be posting these Friday before we pass out Valentine's Day Cards. If you haven't turned in your permission slip for our Field trip to ROMS please send them in ASAP. This week students completed their NWEA testing in Reading and Lang. Arts. We will be exchanging Valentine's Day cards this Friday. All students received a Valentine's Day note last week, which included the names of all classmates and details about passing out cards and sweets. At our "Above the Influence" assembly, students received the message to "Steer clear of peer pressures and make the healthy choice of being and taking care of yourself." Students also received book bags and key chains to remind them of their experience.
Important Dates to Remember:
- Monday, Feb. 8th- Report Cards go home (Chp. 4-6 "Watsons"packet was due last Friday) PTA Meeting 7-8 p.m. - Mr. Boyer will be presenting Discovery Education
- Wednesday, Feb. 10th & 24th Late Start
- Thursday, Feb. 11th- Cursive Packets are Due
- Friday, Feb. 12th- Valentine's Card Exchange
- Monday, Feb. 15- Tuesday, Feb. 16 No School
- Thursday, Feb. 18th- Middle School Visit to ROMS
Reading - Historical Fiction, "The Watsons Go to Birmingham 1963"
We are continuing our reading of the The Watsons Go to Birmingham 1963. The Chp. 4-6 packet was due last Friday. We are also examining issues of the Civil Rights Movement as we read "Watsons."
In celebration of Black History Month, we are doing a short reading and writing research project on important figures in American history. Students will be asked to research and complete a short report on one of these prominent figures this month. To complete this project students will use their research to create an informational comic strip.
Writing- Persuasive Writing
- Daily Language Review (DLR) if it is not completed in class - Assigned Monday-Friday
- Reading Activities from "Watson's" check planners for Homework/Classwork (HW/CW) assignments
- 3 Spelling Activities due each Monday
- Study for the spelling test- given each Monday
- Math- given Monday-Thursdays
- Reading Calendars - Students log 30 min. of reading per day/ 5 days a week