LVJHS Weekly Bulletin 1/08/2016
Dear LVJHS Family,
The ability to overcome adversity is not easy. The greater the adversity, the greater the challenge. When an individual triumphs in the face of adversity, it almost seems miraculous, but is it really? Mahatma Gandhi states: "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." A person with an indomitable will must believe in them-self. But, we all know this belief is fueled by support from key people--usually family and friends. This week, our staff selected some of our most vulnerable students to mentor. This matters a lot because we have to help struggling students grow their own indomitable will.
Our staff cares about our students. Your efforts to support our students are producing some powerful results. I am particularly proud of the intervention plan you are all playing a role in creating and executing. Our staff development on Monday, January 4th was the most impressive staff development I have ever witnessed. We came together as a campus to support students in a meaningful way, and great things await because of the will of our staff.
Thank you all for making LVJHS a great place for students!
La Vernia Junior High School
P.S. If you have not completed the discipline survey, please do so.
Please check out Lead4ward.com to check out some powerful learning tools. Visit the link below to see some awesome instructional strategies in the STAAR4ward section in the Lead4ward website. Use "learn2lead" in the password area.
Please check out the memory pegs link to learn how to increase student retention through the use of movement and association. This was modeled by Mr. Kosub at our last faculty meeting.
Mrs. Marroquin's ELAR Students Doing Research!
Mrs. Gonzales' Science Students Conducting Egg Drop Lab!
Mrs. Herley's Students Using Google Classroom!
Staff Spotlight: Christine Doege!
We are proud to announce Mrs. Christine Doege as our staff spotlight for the week! Mrs. Doege is an exceptional team player and is always willing to go out of her way to help others. Her teaching approach in the classroom is always very positive! Additionally, she does an amazing job connecting with students and providing them with support, motivation, and personal value in their daily lives. We love having Mrs. Doege on our Junior High Team, and proud to recognize her as our Spotlight Teacher of the week!
Fundamental Five Focus...
Research supports the power of Critical Writing. "To gain knowledge, we must construct in our minds. Writing what we are trying to internalize helps us achieve that purpose. When we are able to make connections in writing, we begin to take ownership of these connections. To do this we must learn how to identify core ideas…and then explain those ideas in writing" Paul & Elder (2007). Make sure to put at least two critical writing activities in to each lesson you plan. This is a sure way to monitor student comprehension and learning.
Mrs. Rodriguez's Students Create Science Games!
Please take time to complete the Discipline Survey in Google Forms. We want your feedback on how we are serving our students and staff in the area of student discipline.
Second Nine Weeks at a Glance
- October 26, 22015: LVJHS Volleyball vs Mountain Valley (7th/8th grade @ HOME)
- October 29, 2015: LVJHS Football vs Pleasanton (7/8th grade @ HOME)
- Oct. 26, 2015 Beginning of Sem 1 Cycle 2 (2nd ) 9 week Grading Period
- Oct. 26, 2015 LVJHS vs Mountain Valley (7th/8th grade HOME) (Volleyball)
- Oct. 26-30, 2015 Red Ribbon Week
- Oct. 26-30, 2015 LVJHS Book Fair in the La Vernia Jr. High Library
- Oct. 27, 2015 PTO MEETING @ 9:00 am
- Oct. 28, 2015 Sem 1 Cycle 1 (9wk) Report Card Issued
- Oct. 29, 2015 LVJHS vs Pleasanton 7th/8th grade @ HOME (Football)
- Oct. 29, 2015 PEP RALLY
- October 30, 2015: Early Release/Staff Development
- Nov. 1, 2015 LVJHS VB vs Gonzales @Gonzales (5:00PM)
- Nov. 16, 2015 Sem 1 Cycle 2 (3 wk) Progress Report Grades are DUE
- Nov. 17, 2015 PTO MEETNG @ 9:00am
- Nov. 18, 2015 Sem 1 Cycle 2 (3 wk) Progress Report Grades ISSUED
- Nov. 23-27, 2015 THANKSGIVING BREAK
- Dec. 14, 2015 Sem 1 Cycle 2 (6 wk) Progress Report Grades DUE
- Dec. 15, 2015 JH Band Concert
- Dec. 15, 2015 PTO MEETING @ 9:00am
- Dec. 16, 2015 Sem 1 Cycle 2 (6 wk) Progress Report Grades ISSUED
- Dec. 16, 2015 HISTORY FAIR
- DEC. 18, 2015 EARLY RELEASE/STAFF DEVELOPMENT
- DEC. 21-JAN 4 WINTER BREAK>>>HOLIDAY
- JAN. 4, 2015 STUDENT HOLIDAY; STAFF DEVELOPMENT
- Jan. 11, 2015 School Board Meeting
- Jan. 15, 2015 Sem 1 Cycle 2 (9 wk) Report Card Grades are DUE
- Jan. 19, 2015 Semester 2 BEGINS
- Jan. 20, 2015 Sem 1 Cycle 2 (9 wk) Report Card ISSUED