By: Christiana M. ,Sam E. ,Nikki C. ,Spurthi K. ,Emma L.
Why is Aquaculture Important?
How Does Aquaculture Work?
Example: Trout lives in a raceway (fast-water), so the farmer has to recreate that. Catfish lives in a pond, so they have to recreate smooth non-moving water.
Types of Aquaculture
Freshwater Aquaculture: is when the fish-farmers produce species that are native to rivers, lakes and streams. In the U.S it usually produces catfish but it also produces trout, tilapia and bass. It takes place primarily in ponds or on land in tanks that renovates the water.
Marine Aquaculture: refers to the culturing of species that lives in the ocean. It primarily produces oysters, clams, mussels, shrimp and salmon. It mostly takes place in ocean where the fishes are grouped in one area
- It Mainly consists of farming oysters,clam,mussels,Shrimp, and salmon for marine aquaculture and catfish and trout for freshwater.
- Half the seafood eaten worldwide is produced by aquaculture.
- Aquaculture is the fastest growing area of food production. It’s kept up a steady expansion of 8.4% a year since 1970.
- Egyptians were farming fish 4000 years.
- The country that dominates aquaculture is China who grows 61% of the world's farmed fish and if you add Asia its 91%.