FAC Weekly Update
May 6, 2022
Good morning, Fine Arts Center Family
We've had a terrific week at the FAC! Congrats to our Strings Chamber Music students and our Advanced Topics in Theatre students on their outstanding performances. Don't forget to come out to Artisphere this weekend to support our Visual Arts, Theatre, Jazz, and Chamber Strings students - the schedule is listed in the "FAC STUDENTS PERFORMING IN THE COMMUNITY" section of the newsletter. Also - next Friday is our first annual downtown showcase, Elevate. Tickets are selling fast, and you still have until Wednesday to grab an event sponsorship. Act now to be a part of an amazing evening!
Here's the latest from the halls of the Fine Arts Center...
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
Self-Sabotage: Getting Out of Your Own Way (part 2)
Self-Sabotaging Traits and Remedies:
6. Expecting failure.
- Remedy - predetermine a positive picture, plan for a positive outcome, eliminate negative options.
7. Being unable to learn from others. This type of person has an "I" problem: infallible, inflexible, insecure.
- Remedy - hang around smarter people than yourself. Soon, you will either start learning from them or be left behind.
8. Refusing the take a risk.
- Remedy - Get bigger goals and get around bigger people.
9. Undisciplined living. This is very costly with your time, your energy, your goals, and your mood.
- Remedy - Set standards that require accountability. Work by the standards, not your moods.
10. Being stopped by failure. People who are stopped by failure see it from a personal perspective; people who are not stopped by failure see it from a process perspective.
- Remedy - lighten up, don't take everything so personally, focus on the possibilities instead of the liabilities, and never stay down.
Dr. John C. Maxwell, The Maxwell Leadership Podcast
Thank you - from the FAC Parent Guild
The FAC Parent Guild would like to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to our Staff Appreciation Week festivities! We were able to provide our amazing FAC staff with a muffin & yogurt bar breakfast, all-day snack & drink bar, two luncheons, and a FAC logo cooler containing a meal for their whole family. Best of all, students wrote hundreds of notes of appreciation to the staff. Many thanks to all of the volunteers who helped make all of this possible!
Kristin P. Bailey
Congrats to Emily Allison - "Poetry Ourselves" National Champion
Music Club of Greenville Scholarship Winners
Congratulations to the following Fine Arts Center students who have been named recipients of a scholarship from the Music Club of Greenville!
- Tom and Edna Hartness Scholarship – Preston Spisak, marimba
- The Beverly Henderson Music Education/Therapy Scholarship – Andrew Addis, jazz piano
- The Music Club of Greenville Scholarship – Alexandra Jennings, double bass
- Tom and Edna Hartness Scholarship - Charlie Sanderson, viola and baritone voice
- The Richard Kilpatrick Scholarship – Hunter Ballard, Musical Theatre, tenor
- The Lucille Ward Scholarship (renewable for four years) – Hayley Glenn, soprano
Visual Arts Accolades
Visual Arts Senior Exhibition
- Call the FAC Main Office to make an appointment to see the show - (864) 355-2550.
- Gallery hours are Monday through Friday - 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Bring your driver's license when you come to the school - our security personnel will provide you a visitor's badge through our computer screening system.
- Enjoy the show!
FAC PERFORMANCES - NEXT WEEK
- Landon Taylor, soprano saxophone
- Evan Smith, alto saxophone
- Thomas Carter, tenor saxophone
- Zach Sanderson, baritone saxophone
Monday, May 9 at 7:00 p.m. in the Sutherlin Recital Hall. Admission is Free!
FAC STUDENTS PERFORMING IN THE COMMUNITY
Check Us Out at Artisphere!
- Located at the south end of the festival at Main and Wardlaw
Music and Theatre - https://artisphere.org/performing-arts-schedule/
- Friday, May 6 at 5:00 p.m. - FAC Theatre performing at the Furman University Performance Plaza
- Saturday, May 7 at 5:00 p.m. - FAC Jazz performing at the Furman University Performance Plaza
- Sunday, May 8 at 11:00 a.m. - FAC Chamber Strings performing at the Furman University Performance Plaza
Greenville County Youth Orchestras - Spring Concerts
SPRING CHAMBER MUSIC
Saturday, May 7, 2022 7:30 PM; Peace Center Gunter Theater
SPRING ORCHESTRAS CONCERT
Tuesday, May 10, 2022 7:00 PM; Peace Center Concert Hall
For more information - https://gcyo.net/season/
Carolina Youth Symphony - May 8, 2022
Carolina Youth Symphony (CYS) Senior Honors Concert
May 8, 2022
Tickets and audio/video recordings may be purchased at the door (cash/check) or online via Eventbrite.
FAC Jazz All-Stars at Genevieve's
Wednesday, May 11
Poetry Readings - May 14 at the Velo Fellow
The Sound of Music - SC Children's Theatre
- Lexi Howard (Grade 11, Voice)
Bella Majarais (Grade 9, Theatre)
- Christiana Negron (Grade 12, Theatre)
- Claire Shirley (Grade 10, Voice)
- Hunter Ballard (Grade 11, Voice)
- Danielle Knox (FAC Voice Instructor and Music Department Chair)
LAST WEEK TO SPONSOR ELEVATE
Is Your Child Performing in the Community? The FAC is happy to publicize public performances and art exhibitions that feature our students. Please email Mr. Popat with any details of current or upcoming performances so that we can get the word out to our FAC Family!
Has your child earned an accolade that we should know about?
Important Dates/Upcoming Events
- May 9 - Saxophone Quartet Recital, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
- May 11 - FAC Jazz All-Stars at the Peace Center, 7:30 p.m., Genevieve's
- May 13 - Elevate Downtown Showcase, 6:00 p.m. Cocktail Hour, 7:00 p.m. Performance; Gunter Theater (ticketed event)
- May 16 - Preston Spisak: Senior Recital, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
- May 21 - Senior Dance Showcase - Dance Arts Greenville, 2:00 p.m.
- May 23 - Aidan Wilson: Senior Recital, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
- May 24 - Commencement Rehearsal for Seniors, 4:30 p.m., WHHS Auditorium
- May 25 - FAC Commencement, 6:00 p.m., WHHS Auditorium (ticketed event)
- May 27 - FAC Film Screening, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.