Lincoln Crossing Colt Connection
February 23, 2020
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
What a beautiful week and weekend we've had! It looks like the lovely weather will be with us again this week. Also, a reminder that this week is a traditional week of school - 5 straight days with an Early Release on Monday! A few reminders as we look into the next week:
ILLNESSES: With lovely weather comes icky allergies. There are also many cases of the flu and horrible head colds and sore throats running around at all grade levels. If your child has a fever, please, please, please keep them at home until they are fever free without medication for 24 hours. We try so hard to keep things sanitary at school, but germs spread fast, even with our best efforts. We rely on our families to help keep everyone healthy!
LOST & FOUND: Spring feels like it is here, but the mornings are still very chilly. We'll put our lost and found out as often as we can this week for you to peruse. Please take a minute to label your kiddos outerwear - we make every effort to return labeled items to children!
STARSTRUCK: This week is STARSTRUCK! We have an amazing show for you and the students are excited to show off their moves! If you haven't gotten your tickets yet, please return this form to the office ASAP - some of the shows are almost sold out! At this point, there is no limit on ticket purchase numbers. All the details about who is performing when and the ticket order form can be found here!
INPUT SOUGHT: The state is looking for input on all schools through the "Healthy Kids Survey." Click here to fill out the survey - this is the last week it is open!
INTRADISTRICT TRANSFERS: If you are interested in sending your child to a school other than their home school next year (i.e. you are zoned for Leaman but you prefer your child to attend LCES or TBE or another school OR you are zoned for LCES but you prefer your child to attend Leaman or First Street), you need to complete an Intradistrict transfer request form. All requests are due by Fri., 2/28. You can get the form online here and you would turn them into the front office of your current home school (so LCES!)
APEX: APEX is coming back to campus the first two weeks of March! We'll have some informational assemblies on 3/2, APEX athletes will visit every classroom 4 days a week the weeks of March 2 and March 9, and we tentatively plan for our fun run to be on Thursday, 3/12 (weather is the thing!). Watch for more info, but here is their introductory newsletter for families!
Week of February 24th:
- All Week: Pennies for Patients Drive
- Mon., 2/24: Early Release Monday
- Mon., 2/24, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassador Meeting
- Mon., 2/24, 1:45-2:45: Choir Rehearsal
- Tues., 2/25, 1-1:20 pm, Music Room: Musical Theater Choir Rehearsal
- Tues-Thurs: Math tutoring for invited students in grades 1-5
- Wed., 2/26: Paper Box Tops are due - turn them into your teacher or the office w/ your kiddos name on them!
- Wed., 2/26, 2:45-4 pm, MPR: Musical Theater Cast & Ensemble Rehearsal
- Wed., 2/26, 6 pm and 7 pm: StarStruck Performances (Warren, Giannini, Cassidy, Cook, Shelton, Ochoa, Stuckey, Crook, Tomasello, Coleman, Wright, Sliepen) - students arrive between 5:30-5:40 to classrooms
- Thurs., 2/27 (during school day): District Choir Field Trip to see Matilda
- Thurs., 2/27, 6 pm and 7 pm: StarStruck Performances (Swanson, Fleshman, Risucci, Wetzstein, Noyes, Beatty, Bombard, Botonis, Perez (Shye), Reynolds, Hill) - students arrive between 5:30-5:40 to classrooms
- Fri., 2/28: Colt Pride Friday!
- Fri., 2/28: District Vision Testing for Grades K, 2 and 5
- Fri., 2/28, 1:50-3:30 pm, MPR: Musical Theater Rehearsal
- Fri., 2/28: Last Day of Trimester 2
Week of March 2nd:
- All Week: APEX is at LCES! - learn more here!
- Mon., 3/2: Early Release Monday
- Mon., 3/2, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassador Meeting
- Mon., 3/2, 1:45-2:45: Choir Rehearsal Cancelled
- Tues., 3/3 is Election Day: LCES is proud to host elections in our MPR all day/evening
- Tues., 3/3, 1-1:20 pm, Music Room: Musical Theater Choir Rehearsal
- Tues-Thurs: Math tutoring for invited students in grades 1-5
- Wed., 3/4, 2:45-4 pm, MPR: Musical Theater Cast & Ensemble Rehearsal
- Fri., 3/6: Colt Pride Friday!
- Fri., 3/6, 1:50-3:30 pm, MPR: Musical Theater Rehearsal
- Sat., 3/7, 10-2pm, LHS Pence Gym: Annual Science Expo (flier is here)
Week of March 9th:
- All Week: APEX is at LCES!
- Mon., 3/9: Early Release Monday
- Mon., 3/9, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassador Meeting
- Mon., 3/9, 1:45-2:45: Choir Rehearsal
- Tues., 3/10, 1-1:20 pm, Music Room: Musical Theater Choir Rehearsal
- Tues-Thurs: Math tutoring for invited students in grades 1-5
- Wed., 3/11: NAEP Assessment for select students in grades 3 and 4
- Wed., 3/11, 2:45-4 pm, MPR: Musical Theater Cast & Ensemble Rehearsal
- Thurs., 3/12: Tentative APEX Fun Run Day
- Thurs., 3/12, 6-7 pm, Tech Room: Happy Families Session (day care provided) - topic is boundaries - get more information here
- Fri., 3/13: Colt Pride Friday!
- Fri., 3/13, 8:30 am, Tech Room: Happy Families Session (no day care provided) - topic is boundaries - get more information here
- Fri., 3/13, 1:50-3:30 pm, MPR: Musical Theater Rehearsal
- Fri., 3/13: Trimester 2 Report Cards sent home with students
- Week of 3/16: Kindness Week
- Week of 3/16: Trimester 2 Awards (click here for dates/times)
- 3/21, 6 pm, TBMS: Sweetheart Dance
- 3/24: Old Town Pizza Dine Out (all day!)
- 3/28: Lincoln Community Health Fair at LHS
- 4/1: Spring Picture Day
- 4/2, 5:30 and 7 pm: Aladdin Kids Productions
- 4/4-13: Spring Break
*click here for our new music (choir, grade level music, musical theater) website!
*click here for our new Leadership Ambassador website!
Non School Days or Special Release Days
- Mon, 4/6-Mon., 4/13: Spring Break / no school
- Mon., 5/25: Memorial Day / no school
- Week of June 1st: early release days - 1:40 dismissal
- Fri., 6/5: last day of school!
Every Monday is an Early Release Day!
Boundary & Registration Update
FYI that we will continue to update this section of our newsletter, but will highlight new info towards the top of the newsletter.
Please share this info with your friends and neighbors who may have children coming into TK/K or who are currently attending school outside of WPUSD but may looking to come back to their community school.
The overall goal is to get a good handle on where students will attend school (that happens early in 2020) so that we can tackle staffing (in spring 2020) and open the schools with minimal adjustments in fall 2020.
Important Information by Date:
DEADLINE HAS PASSED - online registration will open up for all NEW students in grades TK-12
- if your child is in grades K-5 at LCES right now, you do NOT need to re-register them
- if your child is in TK (AM or PM), you DO need to register them for kindergarten
- be sure your friends and neighbors with incoming TK or K kiddos know, and if you have friends at schools outside of WPUSD who want to bring their child back to their home school, they need to register using this timeline
- you can access the link to register online via the WPUSD website (click here)
DEADLINE HAS PASSED - our office team is taking registration packets
- there is NO NEED for a camp out because there is plenty of room at LCES and Leaman ES (LES) for all incoming students at their home school!
- bring: printout of online registration form and associated documents, proof of residency, child's birth certificate, and immunization records
- the LCES office will take all registrations for students who will attend LCES or LES
DEADLINE HAS PASSED - Tues., 1/21/20 at 4 pm - deadline for current COES students and current LCES 4th graders to turn in intradistrict transfer request
- turning in this form means that current students attending COES want to stay at COES instead of attending LCES or LES
- turning in this form means that current LCES 4th graders want to attend LCES for their 5th grade year instead of LES
- This document was sent home with effected 4th graders (and sent out digitally) on Wed., 12/11. Click here for a PDF copy.
Mon., 2/3/20 - Fri., 2/28/20
- intra paperwork will be accepted at your home school between 2/3-2/28
- you would complete this process if you wanted to attend any school other than the one you are assigned to (i.e. you were zoned to attend LES but wanted to attend LCES; you are zoned for LCES but you want to attend TBE) in 20-21
- Get info on the district's intra policy and get the intra form here
- it is standing policy that intradistrict requests have to be refiled annually and there is no guarantee that they are approved; they are approved on a space available basis
DEADLINE HAS PASSED - Fri., 2/12/20 at 4 pm - deadline to turn in registration packets for 20-21
- families who move into the neighborhood after this deadline can still enroll
- current residents must complete enrollment by 2/12/20
- this deadline will help us staff the schools correctly
If you are Currently Enrolled in a WPUSD School:
- You don't need to do anything unless you plan to request an intradistrict transfer to go to a different school in the district (see details on that above or below).
- If you live in the Leaman boundary, but your child is in 4th grade now and wants to stay at LCES for 5th grade, you will get a letter asking to you confirm your plans for enrollment for 2020-21 (see details below).
- If your child has an IEP or 504 plan and will end up at Leaman in the fall, his/her IEP is AUTOMATICALLY sent to the new school and services will be uninterrupted.
- All current LCES 5th graders will be automatically registered at TBMS for the 2020-21 school year.
- If your child has an IEP or 504 plan, that information also is AUTOMATICALLY sent to the middle school and services will be uninterrupted.
- Details about enrollment are online here: http://www.wpusd.org/Parent-Resources/Registration---NEW/Next-Year-2020-2021/index.html
Important Info by Topic:
- ONLINE REGISTRATION for NEW STUDENTS: Students coming into Grades TK-12 will be able to register online through the online WPUSD Parent Portal beginning on Mon., 12/9. We will be taking packets for registration (which include your Parent Portal printout, birth certificate, immunization records and proof of residency) on Mon., 1/13 in the office - LCES will take all packets for new students who will attend Lincoln Crossing or Leaman Elementary since there is no office at Leaman, yet. TK Families must register for K online even though you might be attending class in the district currently.
- CURRENT STUDENTS: Students who are currently in grades K-5 at any school in the district will be automatically assigned to their school of residency this spring based on their address (this includes students continuing in elementary and those going to middle school). There may be some options to attend your preferred school (see the IntraDistrict Transfer Requests section above for details).
- WAIT LISTS: We do not anticipate 'wait lists' at any of our schools for any of our grade levels for students who live in within the school's boundary...in the past we had issues with space, and that drove the need for waiting lists. We will not have space issues at any of our schools next year - that means everyone gets into their 'home school!' There will not be any need for a 'camp out!'
- DUAL LANGUAGE IMMERSION PROGRAM / POTENTIAL LOTTERY: There may be a lottery for students to participate in the district's dual language immersion program. The district plans to start this program with only Kinder students. The program will be hosted at Creekside Oaks Elementary only. The need for a lottery will be based on interest generated during registration. There is still uncertainty around if the Dual Language K program will be part day (AM/PM) or extended day, but families will know before they commit to participating after the lottery. Learn more about this program (and all TK/K programs) here.
- INTRADISTRICT TRANSFER REQUESTS: There will be two intradistrict (intra) transfer request windows:
- Intra window #1 - HAS PASSED: applies to students who prefer to stay at COES and for current LCES 4th graders who want to stay at LCES for 5th grade. The district plans to approve those intras. These intras will be due by 4 pm a 1/21/20 at your child's current school office
- Intra window #2: applies to all other students - including those siblings of current LCES 4th graders who may prefer to stay at LCES or families who just want to attend a different school. As they always have been, these intras will be considered on a space available basis. Intras requests will be accepted between 2/3/20 and 2/28/20 and will be processed starting in March; some intras will remain open until the summer, potentially. The draft policy about intras can be reviewed here (on pg. 6)
- KINDER REGISTRATION: For incoming Kinder registration, there will be a question on the registration form about if you have a preference for AM K, PM K, extended day K (8am-1:40pm) and/or the dual language immersion K program. You will be informed about which program your child is placed in the spring. Students are eligible for Kindergarten if they turn 5 on/before September 1, 2020. FYI - our goal at LCES is to host all extended day K classes in 2020. Learn more about K programs at the K Info Night on 12/5 at 6 pm at LCES.
- TK REGISTRATION: The district will open TK classrooms for students who turn 5 between September 2-January 31. You can learn more about the TK program in WPUSD here. The locations for TK in 2020-21 are TBD based on enrollment. Learn more about TK programs at the K Info Night on 12/5 at 6 pm at LCES.
- YOUR ES BOUNDARY: The boundaries have been established by the School Board. You can drop your address into this finder to confirm your elementary school boundary.
Upcoming activities include StarStruck and our Musical Theater production of Aladdin, Jr!. Click for exact dates and times! We look forward to celebrating the season with you! Note the 1st/2nd gr. musical date is changing; stay tuned!
Every Friday is a Colt Pride day! We love it all - new items, vintage Colt Gear, homemade items, Zebra gear, and blue & yellow! Click for our online spirit wear store - open 24/7/365!
Check out this amazing new Leadership Ambassador's webpage - you can find calendar info, Action Team info and information about the LA training curriculum!
Click for more information about school meal pricing and breakfast and lunch menus. You can also access My School Bucks to add to your child's lunch balance and submit an online application for free/reduced meals.
Click to view a map and video that explains how we ask families to help us keep kids safe. Note that it is much less congested between between 7:50-8:00 am and again between 2:50-3 pm. Supervision is provided at 7:55 am and until 3 pm (2 on ER Days).
The district has approved and published the next 2 years of school calendars! Click for details!