The "Must Knows" of Vocabulary
Ways vocabulary can be incorporated into the classroom
- Modeling and stimulating interest in words
- Creating a stimulating environment
- Teaching about words and their meanings- word parts, affixes, roots, and context
- Expanding deeper understanding
- Provide opportunities for children to talk
- Integrating vocabulary across content areas
- Monitoring students vocabulary growth
How to expand on Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Notebooks-Students can organize new words alphabetically or by clustering words.
- Visualize or Draw Words- Can be done using a Concept of Definition Map. (Shown in the picture to the right.)
- Watching for Words- Can be seen on television ads. Ads can be engaging and provided students with new words.
- Using Context Effectively- one way is to use a technique called cloze. This is where every fifth or tenth word is deleted. Students then use context clues to come up with a word that can replace the deleted word.
General vs. Academic Vocabulary
General- These words are basic vocabulary or the more common words most children will know.
- a few examples would be fancy, court, and project
Academic- Words that are not common, they will not be used in everyday conversation.
- a few examples would be adapt, construct and ethnic
What to do at home!
- Reenforce what students were taught at home
- Go over vocabulary words from each week
- students can find new words all around them, travel around their home or school and learn words that are in their everyday environment
- Read daily with children