BY: CALEB LONG & RECE JORDAN
Pros of Hydroelecticity
- Hydro-power is made by water just like how solar power is made by the sun and wind energy is made by wind. At the rate at which we are using the fossil fuels it will become a big problem in our near future.This is why it is nice that hydro-power is a renewable sources of energy produced by water.
- Hydro-power is also a very clean source of energy. Since water is the fuel to this source, it means that it won't pollute the air like burning fossil fuels do. “When fossil fuels are burned, they release nitrogen oxides into the atmosphere, which contribute to the formation of smog and acid rain (Fossil).” This creation of nitrogen oxide is causing many kinds of pollution that hydro-power doesn’t emit.
- Hydroelectricity is a very cost effective source of power. Once you get the plant built it almost creates energy by itself.
Cons of Hydroelectricity
- One key disadvantage to this system is that it displaces many species of animal in that area. “The formation of large and huge dams destroys the living beings around them (Conserve).” This is because when a dam is formed it causes the water to rise. This in turn causes flooding in that area where house are or where animals are living. You might think it is just a few animals displaced, but it throws off all the ecosystems around it.
- Through the seasons we sometimes have to experience drought. This would throw a big wrench in trying to create electricity, since Through the seasons we sometimes have to experience drought. This would throw a big wrench in trying to create electricity, since Through the seasons we sometimes have to experience drought. This would throw a big wrench in trying to create electricity, since hydro-power is created by moving water. During drought time we tend to rely a lot on electricity to keep us cool and hydrated. This would put us through a rough time with minimal water and electricity.
- The thing is that it is very expensive to start up. “Its construction requires a lot of human capital and labor. Its maintenance is also very costly (Conserve).” Now if building a hydro-power plant was significantly less than we would be able to use it more, but it cost so much that it's hard to start. You might think it is just little money, but the thing is it is a lot and the question is where will we get it.
Benefits of Hydropower. (n.d.). Retrieved May 03, 2016, from http://energy.gov/eere/water/benefits-hydropower
Disadvantages Of Hydropower - Conserve Energy Future. (2013, January 20). Retrieved May 03, 2016, from http://www.conserve-energy-future.com/Disadvantages_HydroPower.php
Holt McDougal Science Spectrum Physical Science. (2012). Orlando, FL.: Holt McDougal.
The Sources and Solutions: Fossil Fuels. (n.d.). Retrieved May 04, 2016, from https://www.epa.gov/nutrientpollution/sources-and-solutions-fossil-fuels