7 Steps Review
Based on 7 Steps to Building a Language Rich Classroom
I will demonstrate how to use QSSSA in my classroom to build academic language.
I will speak using the following sentence stems:
- One way I can build academic language in my classroom is...
Please rank the level/frequency of academic conversations occurring in your classroom on a daily basis.
A. Students rarely participate in academic conversations..
B. I see pockets of implementation.
C. I often observe academic conversations.
D. My students have academic conversations on a daily basis.
What is QSSSA?
- Q (Question): The teacher asks a question.
- S (Signal): The students give the teacher a response (determined by the teacher) when they are ready to answer.
- S (Stem): The teacher provides a sentence stem to frame structure language.
- S (Share): Students are asked to share their responses with one or more peers.
- A (Assess): The teacher assesses the quality of discussion by selecting a few students to share their answers with the whole class.
Q- How has 7 Steps changed your teaching?
S- One way 7 Steps has changed my teaching...
- Additionally, my students
- Finally, my goal for the future implementation is...
S- Stand up and push in your chair
S- Roving Paragraph
Exit Ticket- Plan a QSSSA that you will use in your classroom next week. Write your question from your QSSSA on a post it note and place it on the Exit Ticket Poster.