the PENN NEWSLETTER
WE'RE ALL LEARNING
STUDENTS: Wednesday was a day off for students while teachers met with parents and shared all the work students have been doing to lead up to conferences. Of course, we made good use of the other 4 days this week. Here are a few unique questions you might ask your child to find out more about their day:
- What were you thankful for today?
- Was there anyone in your class that had a tough day today? What could you do to help make that person’s day better?
- If they served one thing every day at lunch, what would you hope that would be?
- If you wrote a book about your day at school today, what would the title be?
- If you could get rid of one rule at school, what would that be? Is there any rule that you would add at school?
TEACHERS: All elementary school math teachers spent yesterday afternoon learning more about how using models helps students make meaning in math. The session closed with this video for a new perspective about children using their fingers for math.
It is not too late for a Parent-Teacher Conference
Our goal for conferences is that teachers meet with someone representing 100% of our students. So, if you haven't met with your child's teacher yet, please make plans to do so asap. This is very important and we'll work with you to make it possible. Call the office or email your child's teacher to set up a conference. Thank you for helping us reach our goal.
LOST and FOUND
- Nov. 22, 23, 24: NO SCHOOL for THANKSGIVING
- Wednesday, Dec. 20, 8:15 - 8:45 am Winter sing-a-long for kindergarten and 1st graders. Parents are invited.
- December 25 - January 5: Winter Break
It is the policy of the Iowa City Community School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and socioeconomic status in its educational programs, activities, or employment practices. There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy, please contact Kingsley Botchway II, Director of Equity, 1725 N. Dodge St., Iowa City, IA 52245, 319-688-1000, Botchway.Kingsley@iowacityschools.org.