Panda Literacy Newsletter
The Parkside Center for Literacy & Inquiry - Aug/Sept 2021
- Calling all students, teachers, staff, parents and community members! It is time for us to Build a City that Reads! Let us collectively reach 10 million minutes of reading by the end of the 2021-2022 school year by reading and logging your minutes in Beanstack.
- Simply record what you’re reading and the amount of time spent reading.
- Each reader is eligible to earn badges of recognition which represent various buildings and locations around our city while building excitement and enthusiasm around free-choice reading throughout the city.
- Parents, find your child’s school using the link above or login via their MyBackpack dashboard using the password race2read.
- Staff and community members, register as an individual or family below. Ready, Set, Race2Read!
Students: Username: Network ID Password: race2read
Teachers: Username: Network ID Password: beanstackreads
Hispanic Heritage Month
National Hispanic Heritage Month is a period from September 15 to October 15 in the United States for recognizing the contributions and influence of Hispanic Americans to the history, culture, and achievements of the United States.
* Stop by the Center for Literacy & Inquiry Book display to learn more about Hispanic Heritage Month and notable Hispanic Americans.
Looking for Books by Hispanic Authors or books with Hispanic Heritage Characters? Check some of the recommended books out below.
International Dot Day
September 15th is International Dot Day, is a global celebration of creativity, courage and collaboration, began when teacher Terry Shay introduced his classroom to Peter H. Reynolds’ book The Dot on September 15, 2009. The Dot is the story of a caring teacher who dares a doubting student to trust in her own abilities by being brave enough to “make her mark”. What begins with a small dot on a piece of paper becomes a breakthrough in confidence and courage, igniting a journey of self-discovery and sharing, which has gone on to inspire countless children and adults around the globe.
* On Wednesday, September 15th wear something with Dots
By Derrick Barnes & Gordan C. James
The confident Black narrator of this book is proud of everything that makes him who he is. He's got big plans, and no doubt he'll see them through--as he's creative, adventurous, smart, funny, and a good friend. Sometimes he falls, but he always gets back up. And other times he's afraid because he's so often misunderstood and called what he is not. So slow down and really look and listen, when somebody tells you--and shows you--who they are. There are superheroes in our midst!
September Teacher Literacy Challenge
As we strengthen our culture of literacy and foster a love of reading at Parkside each month there will be a literacy challenge. The September Teacher Literacy Challenge "Children's Picture Book Buzz". Click the picture to access the template. All participants will be entered into a drawing! The drawing and the winner will be held and announced at the end of the month!