DIY PD...JUST UNDER 5 MINUTES!
Creating White Boards with your Technology...
During ETMs, a new tool has been shared (Classflow via BCPS One, Instructional Tools). Classflow is an interactive lesson delivery system that increases the depth of student and teacher engagement by providing the collaborative use of classroom devices, digital devices, digital curriculum and assessments for learning.
In less than five (5) minutes you can learn how to use ClassFlow along with your HP and Elmo or docking station to create an instant white board (the advantage to using this technology compared to your white board and marker or chalkboard is everything written can be saved). View this link for the simple steps to get you started.
An alternate option for ClassFlow is using Active Inspire. This is nice because you can write/annotate on top of your screen. So if you are showing a Word document or PowerPoint, you can simply write on top of those. Erika and Kevin can quickly show you how to do this.
Digital Reading...we can all (and actually need to) provide this opportunity daily for our students
We know this month and next students will be taking MAP and then in April engaging in PARCC. But, besides preparing for testing, we need to ensure our students are life-long learners. As research indicates the minutes students spend reading equal student achievement. Through intentional time allotted for digital reading, students are invited to learn about current events and areas of interest (Amplify, Katie Muhtaris and Kristin Ziemke).
How are you providing daily opportunities for digital reading? I've shared some resources below, but also visit this Padlet to share what resources you use and how you are doing this.
Follow up to the January 19th Math PD
Homework Assignment: Please reflect on something you learned today and take a picture or send an artifact of a way that you used the information by Friday, February 5. We will be expecting something from everyone who attended and we will compile the information and send it out to everyone after that date. Thanks for sending the picture or artifact to Jean by e-mail with the SUBJECT: JAN. 19 PD ARTIFACT.
MSDE March Madness: Math Webinar Series: Sign up for additional Math PD via MSDE's webinars. Topics include:
- Using Tech to Support the L-CE Math Classroom
- Using Close Reading Strategies to Solve Math Word Problems
- Questioning and Discussion Techniques in the Elementary Math Classroom- Parts 1 & 2
- What does the PARCC Assessment Ask Students To Do? How can you help your students be better prepared for the test format?
Good to Know
Tues., Feb. 2: MAP meeting, 4 p.m. (email sent to those involved)Wed., Feb. 3: Grade One ETM
Fri., Feb. 8: BCPS One LMS under maintenance, 10 p.m.-1 a.m.
Mon., Feb. 8: Grade Two ETM
Mon., Feb. 8: New Report Card Distribution Date
Thurs., Fri. 11: PreK/K ETM
Mon. Feb. 15: Schools and Offices Closed for Presidents' Day
Fri., Feb. 19: Final SLO data submitted
Mon., Feb. 22: Interims Due to Office (send home Wed.)
Brain Break: 15 Things to do with Binder Clips
S.T.A.T. Newsletter Archive
- January 2016: Personalized PD, Snippets from Norwood Visit, Behavior Intervention Resources
- December 2015: Understanding PARCC scores video, Free professional reads via BCPS One, Digital Content (via Discovery Education)
- November 2015: Learning Walks and LCE-Instructional Strategies (via Discovery Education)
- October 2015: PGE Nifty Finds, Learning Walks video (via Smore)
- May 2015: A Glance into UDL (via Smore)
- April 2015: FAME and Formative Assessment (via Smore)
- March 2015: Questioning (continued), Twitter, CPD credits (via Smore)
- February 2015: Anchor Charts, Course Maps, Reading Wonders (online features), Questioning (via Smore), Diigo