Standing Bear News
National Blue Ribbon School, 2020
February 11, 2021
Message from the Principal
Greetings Standing Bear,
THANK YOU for all your support with.....
- Staying positive during the adjustment to our dismissal procedure. Your support adhering to our drop-off plan is making this effort a great success! We continue to ask for your cooperation when any additional improvement measures are announced and implemented.
- Donating snacks for staff and providing Valentine's Day items for our parties. We have amazing families at Standing Bear!
- District Lunch Menu: There is always an active link at the bottom of my newsletters. I have also provided an active link to our website for your convenience. This is monitored by the district and updated according to nutrition services. Adjustments to the menu can occur due to snow days, etc.
Stay positive, patient and flexible!
- Staff is not on duty until 8:35am. Please do not drop your student off prior to 8:30am. Please adjust your morning schedules accordingly for optimum compliance, especially in the winter months as we’re experiencing extreme cold weather under severe temperatures continuing for the next several days.
- Breakfast is always available for students. Once the tardy bell rings at 8:50am, we ask all students to enter through the main front door so they can receive a tardy slip. Students still have the option to go get breakfast.
Dismissal at Standing Bear:
- Thank you to everyone for having their Family Number visible in their vehicle. We are starting to get into the swing of things with our new dismissal process! Your cooperation and assistance with making this work has not gone unnoticed. We ask for your continued support. If you lose or need more family number hangers, please notify myself or the office staff.
- Early Pick up: Please call the main office if you need to pickup your student(s) early. This will allow us time to contact the classroom teacher and have your student(s) ready for you when you arrive
Don't forget to look at the updated information under the PTO tab!
Standing Bear Support
Hello Standing Bear families,
We'll be having a fundraiser at Raising Cane's on February 16, from 4pm to 9pm. They will donate 15% back to our school when you mention Standing Bear Elementary. This is good for dine-in, drive-through, or carry-out. The restaurant address is 12930 W Maple Road. Please see the below flyer for full details.
It's a great opportunity to take a night off from cooking and enjoy some delicious chicken while supporting our school.
Please feel free to share this flyer with your family and friends too.
Calendar of Events
Mark Your Calendars!
You can find that information on the Standing Bear website under School Calendar.
12th- Valentine Party (more information will come from the classroom teacher)
15th- No School (President's Day)
16th- Raising Cane's Fundraiser! Don't cook, take a night off and support SB!
3rd & 4th- Parent/Teacher Conferences
4th- No school for students (conferences)
5th- No school
8th-12th Spring Break
Notes from the School Nurse
February is Dental Health Month
Dental health class will be held for all 1st graders to reinforce good dental health practices. Remember to brush and floss daily, see your dentist regularly and choose nutritious foods.
This year the American Dental Association is focused on the importance of drinking water for oral health.
There are many reasons water is the best drink for your teeth.
- Drinking water with fluoride is one of the easiest ways to strengthen your teeth.
- Water cleans your mouth with every sip. Unlike pop and juice that leaves behind unwanted sugar that cavity-causing bacteria love.
- Water fights dry mouth which puts you at risk for tooth decay.
- Water is calorie free!
Water replenishes you and fights dehydration and fatigue, making you fresh and alert throughout the day.
Parent Links & Attachments
iPad Check List
Lost & Found
Yearbook Updates & PTO Board Information
- We are asking parents to submit any remote or first day of school pictures for the yearbook. Please include the teacher name to assist us with organization of the yearbook.
- Please send them to the PTO email address email@example.com
- The Board will be looking for additional parent volunteers for next school year, both with board positions and with committee chairs. We are also seeking support from any parent with accounting or tax experience that is willing to help in a Treasurer-type role (or consult for tax season)
- If you are interested, please send an email with your contact information to the PTO email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you! Our PTO is a fabulous organization and such a support to our students and staff!
Enroll in the Membership Toolkit- you will have access to all online forms set up for you to review and complete as needed. You will find forms for Membership, Donations, Volunteer opportunities and more.
Questions? - Please don't hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
TAGG for Standing Bear!
See below the TAGG Business List and help support our school.
QR Code or TAGG App
Use this code to go right to the app or download from the Play Store.
Student Placement for 2021-22 School Year
As a staff, we will be working on sorting students for next year sometime in April. This is a very detailed and specific process to make sure classrooms are balanced and students are placed according to their strengths and needs. Therefore, I will not be taking requests for specific teachers for next year. You definitely know your child the best, so if there is a situation, concern, type of teacher, etc you feel your child would benefit from, please send me an email with that information. We will place them to the best of our ability and take into consideration your email.
I appreciate you trusting us that we will place your child in the best possible classroom. Fortunately, the staff at Standing Bear are all high quality instructional leaders and caring teachers. If you wish to send an email to me regarding next year, please send that before the end of March so we can have that information when we start the sorting process.
Thank you in advance for your understanding.
Important Information from Standing Bear
For the safety and security of our students and this building, we will not be allowing visitors into the building at this time.
Drop Off Zone
We ask that you please continue to pull all the way down to the second crosswalk if possible (by main front doors). We can then unload around 10 vehicles rather than 5. Also, we typically have student "Ambassadors" to assist with opening your car doors for easy drop off. This is currently on hold until further notice.
New dismissal plan has been in effect since February 2, 2021. Please keep up the good work complying and adhering to this, especially being patient with any improvements we might impose in the near future to enhance the process.
Please be attentive and cognizant of all school crossing guard officials and adhere to their requests during student morning drop-off and pick-up times. Our goal is to ensure your child’s overall safety.
We will be using the School Messenger (Robo call or email) to communicate this year. Please make sure to contact the office if you need to update your contact information.
Due to COVID-19, we will not allow any outside items brought nto the building. We will continue to highlight students and have them feel special on this day!
Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, citizenship status, or economic status in its programs, activities and employment and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to address inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Superintendent of Schools, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131 (402-557-2001).