The Cougar Connection
Weekly Update for Families - January 19, 2023
From Dr. Gruman
Dear Northwest Families,
We have had a great week with our students! Students are engaging with enrollment and advising conversations with teachers to close this week.
I want to recognize our awesome journalism students and sponsor Ms. Massy for all of their hard work to prepare their displays for the Journalism Showcase last Thursday night at the Center for Academic Achievement. They provided a short presentation on their board and engaged visitors with an activity about that concept. Our students did an outstanding job with their presentations and it was a really fun night!
As we continue through enrollment, here are the updates for this upcoming week and reminders:
- Juniors have their individual advising appointments on January 24 and 25.
- Sophomores have their individual advising appointments on January 26 and 27.
- We encourage parents to review your student's enrollment card to discuss the courses they have selected for next year.
- Students representing our different elective courses will visit Trailridge on Tuesday, January 24th to provide a preview of course options to our incoming 8th graders.
- Looking ahead - January 30 is our Future Cougar Orientation Night, starting at 6:30 pm. Freshmen will have their individual advising appointments on January 31st and February 1st.
- Encourage students and families to reference our Enrollment information on our website: https://sites.google.com/smsd.org/enrollment/home?authuser=0. We have a wide variety of course options for students to explore.
We are excited to celebrate Kindness Week next week with the Great Kindness Challenge. We have some fun activities planned for that week including our Sources of Strength student group providing a Kindness Stations activity on Thursday.
Please reach out as questions arise. Have a wonderful week!
All the best,
Dr. Lisa Gruman
Signature Program Open House 5:30 - 8pm Tonight
The Shawnee Mission School District (SMSD) invites middle and high school students and their families to the annual Signature Program Open House, to be held from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday, January 19, 2023, at the Center for Academic Achievement, 8200 W. 71st Street.
This open house offers an opportunity for students and their families to learn more about the district’s Signature Programs.
Signature Programs provide unique opportunities for students in the areas of:
- Animation and Game Design
- Culinary Arts and Commercial Baking
- Health Science
- Project Blue Eagle (EMS, fire science, and law enforcement)
In addition to the Signature Program Open House, students and their families can learn more about these opportunities at https://www.smsd.org/academics/signature-programs.
KINDNESS WEEK January 23 - 27
Our students will have the opportunity to participate in Kindness activities this week!
SMSD has started working with SevenDays - Check out their link!
Future Cougar Night!
For Incoming 9th Grade Students and Parents/Guardians (2023-2024)
When: January 30th
Time: 6:30PM – 8:00PM
What: Explore academic offerings for freshmen, research activities, discover electives, you can tour the building, and meet some teachers!
Come and see what the excitement is all about, we are anxious to meet all of you!
Follow this link to purchase items, support fundraisers, volunteer or become a PTSA Member! Please see the attached flier for our latest After Prom Fundraiser.
SENIOR PORTRAIT RETAKES:
Our yearbook staff has worked very hard to re-take yearbook photos for every Northwest Senior! If for any reason your senior did not get their photo taken this week - please contact Susan Massy: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Forgot to purchase your child’s senior tribute? Contact Susan Massy (email@example.com) immediately to reserve one of the spaces remaining. You will need to submit your check, images and message very quickly. We will definitely sell out, so these spaces will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Yearbooks will no longer be available to purchase through the office.
However, we can place your student’s name on the wait list. Students on the wait list will be the first called to purchase books on yearbook distribution day for $70 cash.
Questions? Email Susan Massy (firstname.lastname@example.org).