St. Viator Parish School
Viator Voice: September 30, 2019
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
It's hard to believe that it's been two years since the tragic day that shocked our city and nation. This week, we honor those who lost their lives, their families, the survivors, and our beloved community. On Tuesday, we will close the day with a moment of silence
and decade of the rosary.
Please join us.
We have come together in reflection, discussion, and prayer. We will not forget.
A year later, we are #ViatorStronger #VegasStronger.
Parent Teacher Conferences ~ Sign Up Available Now!
Conference week is coming: October 7-11, 2019
All conferences are held on the Main Campus.
Grades PK through 5,
To sign up, click here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0d4ca5a829a7f94-parent1
- Prekindergarten and Kindergarten: Conferences are for parents and teacher only - no children.
- Grades 1-3: Parents and teacher - your child may attend the conference, but is not required to attend.
- Grades 4-5: Parents, student and teacher - your child is required to attend a scheduled conference.
To sign up, click here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0d4ca5a829a7f94-parent
It is not mandatory to attend a Junior High parent-teacher conference unless specifically requested.
- Conferences begin at 1:15 p.m. each day. From 12:30 to 1:15 p.m. appointments are designated for joint-conferences, wherein you can request, or we may require, a conference with all teachers at the same time. If you desire a joint-conference, please contact your homeroom teacher to coordinate.
- If a conference is not specifically requested, you still have the opportunity to meet with any teacher to address any questions or concerns that you might have regarding Junior High progress. Simply choose a conference day and time. Please be sure to add your student's name to the comment section.
- Your child needs to accompany you for your scheduled conference.
Extended Care is available from Noon until 6 PM during conference week.
4A Defining Geographic Terms Around the Room
Monday, September 30, 2019
- Prayer and Flag: Good Sams presented today!
Tuesday: October 1, 2019
- Show your support of our community by wearing #VegasStrong, Vegas Golden Knights, or SVS spirit shirts.
- Vision, Hearing and Speech Screenings today
- Join us for a decade of the Rosary in the courtyard, 2:15 pm
Wednesday: October 2, 2019
- Mass, Grades 5-8 Dress Uniform
- Vision, Hearing and Speech Screenings today
- Soccer JV Quarterfinals @ SFDS
Thursday: October 3, 2019
- Soccer Varsity Quarterfinals @ St. Viator
Friday, October 4, 2019
- Noon Dismissal! All Faculty & Staff
- Blessing of the Animals, 12:15 Parish Center
- Spirit Shirt day! ~ Wear your Spirit Shirts. Donate $1 to Student Government to wear jeans.
- Picture retake day ~ you must wear your Dress Uniform, but you may bring a change of clothes for Spirit shirt day.
- November Hot Lunch due today!
1/2 days all next week, October 7 - 11, 2019 due to Parent-Teacher conferences!
Blessing of the Animals
- Friday, October 4, 12:15pm in front of our Parish Center
- Saturday, October 5, 10am in the church plaza.
(If you can’t bring your pet, bring a photo of it!)
2B Loves to Read the Room. Today, they were seeking short A sounds.
Through our School-wide Learning Expectations our goal is to develop active faith-filled Catholics who are life-long achievers, effective communicators, responsible decision makers, and culturally aware/global citizens. Each month, we celebrate and recognize students who exceed these expectations as Good Samaritans.
Please join us at our prayer and flag service on Monday, September 30th as we celebrate this month's Good Samaritans:
1st Grade: Feranmi O.
2nd Grade: Kate F., Maya R.
3rd Grade: Joseph L. Pauline R.
4th Grade: Maya G., Serese W.
5th Grade: Kara H., Gavin R.
6th Grade: Lola D., Justin E.
7th Grade: Elena C., Grace Y
8th Grade: Benjamin C., Lukas K.
Staff: Mrs. Armendariz
What does it take to be awarded a Good Sam? Here were a few comments from the nominating teachers:
My student deserves getting a Good Samaritan for helping another student in the classroom get organized without me asking him to do so.
SLE 4C Responsible citizens who help and take care of others
This student was chosen as she is an amazing example of living an active faith filled life. She is always striving to be closer to God and participates actively in all aspects of faith in my classroom. She truly wants to live each day as Jesus would want her to.
I chose this person because he has the most good sams in our jar! Things he’s done to earn: always helpful, first one to raise hand if I need help, or need a volunteer, sometimes recognizes something needs doing without me asking:) He also has a good attitude and exemplifies 1c under “Active faith-filled Catholic” by demonstrating a spirit of service.
I chose this student because she is a hard working,(2a,b,c) polite and positive (5a, b,c,d) young lady. She is always very gracious and friendly to me and her classmates. (5c, 1a, 4c) Specifically, she showed great humility and kindness when she lost the class rep position to another student. She immediately went to her congratulating her. (1b, 4a, 5c)
This student has been very helpful in making our new 8th grade student feel welcome. I have witnessed on several occasions this student navigating the different apps on the iPad in class. He is kind and has talked to him since the first day. I would say he demonstrates: 1b – live each day as Jesus did, 1c – demonstrate a spirit of service, 3b – listen to others, and 4c – help and take care of others. He is deserving of the Good Samaritan for those reasons.
Prekindergarten Celebates Johnny Appleseed Day!
Training for NEW Lectors , Eucharistic Ministers, & Altar Servers
To be a Eucharistic Minister and distribute the Body and Blood of Christ in Mass, you must be Confirmed and at least 16*.
Are you a good public speaker, Confirmed, and at least 16*? The two-part training for new Lectors offers two choices for the initial meeting as well as the follow-up (NOTE: this is for all Masses except 10am – there is separate training for the Children’s Liturgy.).
Boys and girls can be an Altar Server. The training at this time is open to students 5th Grade and older and 4th Graders who will be serving at all Masses EXCEPT 10am. (Because the 10am Mass has so many Servers, training for 4th Graders for that Mass will be in early 2019 -- watch the bulletin for more information.)
You and an adult must attend an orientation meeting in the church. You will return to be tested.
Training sessions for all these ministries take place in the church. You need only attend one of the options from below:
SERVERS: Completed ~ Last date was on Monday September 23rdEUCHARISTIC MINISTERS: Tuesday, Oct. 1–6pm OR Saturday, October 5–10:30am
LECTORS: Tuesday, Oct. 1–7pm OR Saturday, October 5–11:30am
All ministers must be registered St. Viator parishioners.
*NOTE: All St. Viator ministers out of high school must be in compliance with the diocesan volunteer requirements: be fingerprinted (if 18 or older), submit a volunteer application, review the volunteer handbook, and take an online class.
Check out 5B's New Poems
Troop 117 attended an event presented by the Professional Women in Building of Southern Nevada. The cadettes worked on their Woodworker badge and learned about carpentry basics and built a frame. The junior scouts worked on their Think Like an Engineer badge and designed and created an emergency shelter.
Used Uniform Sale
We will be having a used uniform sale during conference week so that you can stock up on winter uniform items.
Tuesday, October 8th: 11:30 to 12:30 and 1:30 to 3 pm
Wednesday, October 9th: 1:00 to 3:00 pm
If you have any donations, please drop off any gentle used items to the school office by the end of the month. Thank you!