École J.R. Henderson P.S.
Saturday, November 2nd, 2019
We hope that those of you who participate in Halloween activities had a safe and enjoyable evening, and that all families are enjoying the "long" weekend created by the PA Day!
Staff were hard at work yesterday: Mr. Eardley and M. Landis shared some learning from a "Physical Literacy" workshop they recently attended to help us begin the day by being active. The activities combined physical exercise with mental math challenges, and were really fun -- we know that daily physical activity promotes overall health and well being, as well as getting our brains 'ready to learn', and that staff will be sharing these fun fitness activities with their students! With our brains ready to learn, we worked in small teams to further examine and analyze the student data that we began to explore in September, and began to create our "School Improvement Goals" for Math, Literacy and School Climate. We will finalize these goals, as well as the high yield strategies that we plan to use to maximize student achievement, over the course of this month. Staff also worked together to discuss the results of diagnostic assessments that have been done with students in Math and Reading, and to determine next steps in programming and instruction. It was a busy and very productive day.
November is Indigenous Education Month, and Stand Up To Bullying Day occurs on November 15th. We plan to integrate some Indigenous Grandfathers Teachings (respect, love, bravery) with an overall theme of Kindness to support Character Education at our school. Stay tuned for updates on the activities that will be taking place this month!
Our annual Pointsettia Fundraiser has begun! Information and order forms were sent home on Wednesday, and are also attached below. Please consider supporting this important school fundraiser: we will use the proceeds to support Clubs, Experiential Education (cooking and building), and Grade 6 and 8 Graduations. All orders are due by November 13th, and the plants will be available for pick-up on Thursday, December 5th. Cheques are preferred as method of payment, and may be made payable to J.R. Henderson Public School. Thank you for your support!
We did extend the deadline for Bricks for Kidz registrations until Monday, November 4th. Registration forms are attached below.
We hope that you have a great weekend,
Mme Peart and Mrs. Davey
Pointsettia Fundraiser Information and Order Forms
- Tuesday, November 5th: Indigo Girls Group (3:45-5:00)
- Monday, November 11th: Remembrance Day Assemblies (Primary 9:45, Jr/Int 10:50)
- Tuesday, November 12th: Kindergarten & Preschool Parent feedback opportunity (LDSB Educational Services 9:00-11:00, details below)
- Wednesday, November 13th: Vaping Presentation at FSS (7:00-8:30 - details below)
- Monday, November 18th: Teens Trashing Tobacco (Grade 7&8s)
- Tuesday, November 19th: Indigo Girls Group (3:45-5:00)
- Saturday, November 23rd: Parents Night Out (details below)
- Wednesday, November 27th: Family Movie Night (details TBA)
- Thursday, November 28th: Family Movie Night (details TBA)
- Friday, November 28th: PA Day (no school for students)
- Monday, December 4th: Intermediate Boys Volleyball Tournament (Duncan MacArthur Hall)
- Friday, December 13th: Intermediate Girls Volleyball Tournament (Duncan MacArthur Hall)
Collaboration: Shared Problem-Solving in Mathematics
Discovering the Grandfathers' Teachings Through Literature
Physical Fitness Through Daily Physical Education
Save the Date: Movie Night and Parents Night Out
Parent Council is organizing two Movie Nights in November. Families will be invited on Wednesday, November 27th and Thursday, November 28th to spend a fun evening with their school community. Please stay tuned for details
Parent Council is also working with Kingston's Best Kids to organize a "Parents' Night Out". The event will take place on November 23rd: see the details below.
Our next Parent Council meeting will be held on Thursday, December 12th from 6:45-8:45. New members are always welcome, and there is free child care provided. We hope to see you there!
School Spirit Wear
https://specialtytrophies.ca/jrhendersonpublicschool/ to see the wonderful clothing to show your Hawk spirit! Funds raised will support our Physical Education programs.