Job Requirements & Job Description
Job Requirements of a Criminal Lawyer
• Pass the LSAT exam to get into law school
• A 3 year law degree- Juris Doctor (JD) degree
• Complete an Online and Campus Law and Legal studies program
• Pass the Bar exam
• Possibly be Certified by the NBLSC (national board of legal specialty certification)
• Have some sort of job experience
Job Description of a Criminal Lawyer
Criminal lawyers represent defendants (people being charged with crimes) facing criminal charges in state, federal and appellate courts. Before they can try any kind of case, they first must have a 4 year undergraduate degree in criminal justice, pass the LSAT exam to get into Law school, finish or have completed law/grad school, and passed the Bar exam. The kinds of cases they would take to court would generally be bail bond hearings, plea bargains, trial, revocation hearings (parole or probation), appeals, and post-conviction remedies. Before they could step into a courtroom they first must investigate the case and interview witnesses, research case law, statutes, crimes codes and procedural law, build a defense and develop a case strategy, negotiate with the prosecution to plea bargain to lesser charges, draft, file and argue motions such as motions to dismiss and motions to suppress, advocate for the defendant at trial, as well as draft, file, and argue appeals. Lawyers generally range in salary from $45,000 a year to $150,000 a year.
Characteristics of a Lawyer
- Being able to speak in front of crowds
- Hard Worker
- Being flexible
- Be able to work in teams
When interviewing for a position at a law firm your intervewer may ask you:
- What is something positive you can bring to our company?
- What is one weakness you have in the workplace?
- Where do you hope to be in 5 years?
- If the time ever came, would you be willing to relocate?
- What makes you the best candidate for this position?
- What experience do you have?
- Do you work well in stressful situations?
- Why did you become a lawyer?
- What kind of student where you?
- What certifications do you have?
- "Criminal Lawyer Career." Criminal Defense Attorney Job Description. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Jan. 2014.
- Kane, Sally. "What Is a Criminal Lawyer?" About.com Legal Careers. About.com, n.d. Web. 9 Jan. 2014.
- Huron, Garan L. "Associate Attorney." In Port Huron 48060. Monster.com, Jan. 2014. Web. 10 Jan. 2014.